Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2007, 12:46 PM   #1
Gambierite

1979 31' Sovereign
vancouver , BC
Question Leveling but not on tires

Our 79 Sovereign (31ft) is parked forever. The tires the PO put in weren't proper trailer tires, and probably as a result at least two of the tires (on the same side, naturally) have significant leaks.

I am hoping to sometime this summer jack up the trailer, and I'll try and fix the leaks, but given that there is no tire shop on the island and no way to get the tires off the island cheaply, whether I can or not will depend on luck and my friend's ability to patch whatever is leaking. I'm not optimistic about coming up with a permanent solution involving tires.

I'd be even happier just forgetting about fixing the tires, and putting the airstream on some stacks of blocks at a location other than the tires. What would be the best such location?

--david
davida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi David -- I recall your purchase, proposed relocation, and even the barging to the current location. Your story moves along...

The tires are toast. I've got 1 1/2 tires on my Argosy that behave like that. I'd probably move on to your proposed solid support underneath. I sure wouldn't buy new tires to sit in the sun for years and be bad news when your grandkids decide to go caravanning ...

The strong axle mounting plates and the ball (A-frame) are the only areas built to carry load in the long term. The frame should not be set up to hold weight at the corners -- the frame will bend, skin might crinkle, the door won't open (or close); the corner location of B.A.L. jack stabilizers is only to prevent shaking of the trailer as you walk around. If you see any "jack point" decals underneath, they should receive no stress beyond what stabilizers would apply.

You probably wouldn't want to use simple cinder blocks -- it sure's not safe to work under a car on cinder blocks. I'd probably build some timber bunks. It's a good thing that you won't have to deal with ground frost.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
When we park for extended periods of time we use trailer jack stands under the frame to supplement the stabilizers and wheels. The more points of support under the frame the better off you will be.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote