Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2016, 07:51 AM   #81
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIPPPIN View Post
I know this is an old topic but I had been using the axle mounting plate to place my axle stands aft of the rear axles but it has bent the plate. The vertical is OK it is the horizontal part that bent from the cradle of the jack stands. You can see that small bend it in the first photo. The stronger point in my observation is where the axle stand is now in that photo. Is that plate where I have the jack stand which is welded to the axle (the plate that bolts through to the axle mounting plate) the same safe method recommended by Inland Andy and others or is this possibly going to affect alignment too? You can see in photo 1and 2 the 2 axle stands sit nicely in that plate and wont slip. The axle stands do not touch the axle tube. I am afraid if I use the axle stands sideways or off center on the other parts of the axle mounting plate so that I avoid bending the axle mounting plate the axle stands are able to slip off that way while jacking the other side. Should I change what I do in these photos and accept the bending of the axle mounting plate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Ditto.

If one uses a jack with a top piece that puts a point load on a corner of the small OEM aluminum jack plate, it is possible to bend the plate. [The photos in Post #77 show such a jack.] Putting the small block of wood between them distributes the small point load uniformly to the entire surface area of the jack plate. Also, the more basic hydraulic jacks usually have a small round head, not the "U" shaped head shown in those photos, which are designed to cradle an axle or something like that IMO.

Only very experienced mechanics should jack an Airstream at points other than the designating jack points IMO. It can be done, but why do it, when Airstream's designated method works just fine?

I agree jacking it up on the designated spot works well but my question is about the placement of jack stands. I may have placed this post in the wrong thread as my inquiry really ins't about jacking but this is the closest thread I can find to my question. Most jack stands are somewhat u shaped on top so they have something to hold on to and prevent slippage. I use 4 jack stands to support the trailer for weeks/months at a time to get the weight off the suspension and prevent tires from flatspotting. At the same time I also use the tongue jack and stabilizers. The pictures in post 77 are of jack stands - I currently use the designated Jack spot as recommend by Airstream to raise the trailer so I can put the jack stands under the trailer. A jack stand sitting under a flat spot of the frame or axle mounting plate or with a block in between could be bumped out of place IMO. My support location on the axle flange bolted to the axle mounting plate as shown in the pictures of post #77 is safe because it can't slip off but am I risking causing some other problem to alignment etc.? I appreciate the feedback.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:24 AM   #82
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
I can't remember if I asked this before but when you go to jack up a traller, do you first hook up to tow vehicle or can it just be resting on trailers power jack? I know chocking oposing wheel is nescesary.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:33 AM   #83
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev View Post
I can't remember if I asked this before but when you go to jack up a traller, do you first hook up to tow vehicle or can it just be resting on trailers power jack? I know chocking oposing wheel is nescesary.
I don't hook up to a tow vehicle but I do chock the wheels and only do it on a level surface.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:12 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIPPPIN View Post
. . .
I appreciate the feedback.
Thanks for the clarification. There is a member here who is experienced at using the jack stands for your purpose, so hopefully he will appear. I recall an old post of his on this, and I will look for it later if needed.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:09 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
TRIPPPIN, the user I was thinking of is ROBERT CROSS [all caps in original] and his posts early in the following thread should help:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...-a-154442.html

Cheers,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:31 PM   #86
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
ok folks

every once in a while an issue that's been beat to death...

and put to rest,

needs reviving!

there are lots of threads here on 'where to jack up' or jacking up an airstream.

there is even a sticky

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...ler-25094.html

almost all of those in the know proclaim "never jack on the frame jack points"

and "always jack on the axle mounting plates"

right?

well a few weeks back while at the factory in j/c i dealt with this question...

for my last time.

on the tour don made a point of telling folks "always jack your trailer at the labled jack points"

he said it every day.

so i pulled him aside and commented that we debate this issue regularly...

his reply was "use the jack points as noted in the owners manual"

"what about the axle mounting plates?" i protested...

"no, no, but do put supports there" he said.

so out on the service floor i watched 'em raise my 34...

sure enough they used a jack at the back on the marked frame locations!

so i asked the service guys...

"yep we ALWAYS jack 'em up like this" was the reply from everyone. tech, team leaders and head rivet.

and sure enough i watched every trailer go up this way...

1. jack at the marked frame plates
2. tongue jack raised to max
3. stabilizers placed at the axle mounting plates.

here are some photos after the fact...

see the RED jack at the rear end UNDER the frame rail points?

along with the stabilizers later placed on the axle mounting plates?

no fooling kids that IS how they do it!

cheers
2air'

btw, yes i carry and use the trailer-aid ramp for changing one wheel without a jack....

click on the pix for a BIGGER view!
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. One picture worth a million words. Going to be replacing my 15" wheels and GYM with 16' wheels and tires and didn't want to hitch up the trailer and use the ramp. Prefer jacking at the Factory designated lift points on my 2017 FC 30'. Got worried with all the chatter. I'm convenced now. Nice work.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:53 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
When I put Centramatics on my 27 FC FB, I used a bottle Jack and jacked at the forward airstream authorized Jack plate. It got both wheels off the ground, and worked fine with no damage to the trailer.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:45 PM   #88
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
cumberland , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
All Airstream trailers since 1961 should be lifted off the ground at the axle mounting plate, "only".

The "jack" labels on the underbelly are for "stabilizing only". If you attempt the jack the trailer off the ground at the "jack" labels, the door will probable jam so that it will not open or close, amoung other things such as damage to some sheet metal components.

If you wish to remove weight from the axles for long term storage purposes, jack the trailer up at the axle mounting plates, and place a "stabilizing jack" at the underbelly points so indicated. Do not support the trailer from the jack label points only, if you want the tires off the ground. Several different damages will occur, depending on model, if you do.

Andy
Hi, Andy. On MY 31 FT 1970 Sovereign international there is a visible steel beam that runs from in front of the front tire to behind the rear tire on each side. The shocks are attached to them and it appears also the axle. It also runs close to the airtream recommended square pate reccommended jack point.Is this the axle mounting plate that you recommend to put jack underneith of? It appears that it is only about 1/8 thick so i am concerned since it is so thin would it be strong enough? Or am I misunderstanding your recommended jacking point, Thanks
travalota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 07:05 PM   #89
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard...👍

Inland Andy passed several years ago.

I use this 'jack point' to lift both wheels for storage.

Our indicated point was off by 4", I figured it's not worth the chance.

NEVER jack on the square axle.👎

Bob
🇺🇸
On the axle mount plate...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0ACE9546-754B-4E8C-971A-932ECF6AD95D_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	402424   Click image for larger version

Name:	6F0BCD43-85B2-4640-8808-3E445F77326D_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	402425  

Old 08-24-2021, 10:42 AM   #90
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
cumberland , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Inland Andy passed several years ago.

I use this 'jack point' to lift both wheels for storage.

Our indicated point was off by 4", I figured it's not worth the chance.

NEVER jack on the square axle.👎

Bob
🇺🇸
On the axle mount plate...
Sorry to hear about Andys passing and thank you for the first definitive photo I've seen of the actual place to put a jack.. It could just be the photo but that steel looks thicker than what's on my 70 airstream, but thats where I'm putting the jack
travalota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 10:54 AM   #91
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by travalota View Post
Sorry to hear about Andys passing and thank you for the first definitive photo I've seen of the actual place to put a jack.. It could just be the photo but that steel looks thicker than what's on my 70 airstream, but thats where I'm putting the jack
Your welcome....actually the jack is right where the frame is right angled inward.

Bob
🇺🇸