Old 08-07-2007, 11:29 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
2air has a point.

Hi, 2air has shown proof that you can jack your trailer up at the jack point marked by Airstream. I couldn't see if they used blocks of wood between the jack pad and frame, but they used a large floor jack. [8 to 10 ton] You might have a floor jack at home, but I think most of us bring bottle jacks when on the road. The pad on the floor jack will obviously be safer [for your trailer] than the tip of your bottle jack. I choose to use my bottle jack on the axle mounting plates; This is where Airstream put jack stands on 2air's trailer.
Questions for 2air: While your trailer was jacked up or set down on the jack stands, did anyone open or close your door? The reason I asked this is because in the 70's when I hoisted four door Lincolns [at the Lincoln dealer] we never opened the doors after the wheels left the ground because the body and frame would flex enough to make the door and front fender to become close enough to rub the paint off. Therefore, I would not recommend opening your door while your trailer is jacked up at the factory marked jacking points unless it was sitting on jack stands on the axle mounting plates.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:38 PM   #44
_

. , .
hi bob

they didn't use wood between the 10 ton jack and marked plate on the rear frame.

yep they/we opened and closed the door several times while the trailer was UP.

at one point 5 of them were inside while it was up on the jack.

also look really closely at the second photo take from the curb side...

the jack stand ISN'T touching anything at this point... SEE THE GAP?

the service guy had just raised the trailer another inch with the big red jack...

and hadn't raised the jack stand yet!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:58 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, ladies and gentlemen; 2air has documented positive proof that you can safely jack up your trailer at the points marked by the makers of this fine aluminum master piece. If you use a bottle jack at this location I would highly recommend useing a block of wood the same size or larger than the pad on a good sized floor jack. [to prevent punctures] And if you don't jack up both sides evenly, don't open the door. These are my opinions.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:32 PM   #46
1 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Inyokern , California
Right. I have jacked up my 2005 19' Bambi more than once using the factory stickers that say "Jack." The actual frame points are inboard of the stickers, hence the little arrows on the stickers. I use an 8" x 8" square of 1" pressure treated siding board between the jack tip and the bottom skin of the coach. If in doubt, feel under the skin for where there is solid frame metal above.

I'm open to new ideas, though. Does anyone have a photo showing how it looks to jack a single axle coach from the "axle mounting plates"? On my coach there isn't much room between the inner sidewall of the tire and the "flanged" area on the axle brackets.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:44 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Great pictures and i need hep. Going over the manual of my 2004 28 safari it gives little help on where I should place the screw jack for a flat tire. From other post it looks safer to ride one wheel on a ramp that I probably should have. On the road and no problems, but with good year marathons and what I have read I am concerned. Funny, everything works great, towed over 4k miles so far on this trip and the more I read on this site the more I worry about???? Wife says I am paranoid, been called worse.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:05 AM   #48
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari 28
Great pictures and i need hep. Going over the manual of my 2004 28 safari it gives little help on where I should place the screw jack for a flat tire. From other post it looks safer to ride one wheel on a ramp that I probably should have. On the road and no problems, but with good year marathons and what I have read I am concerned. Funny, everything works great, towed over 4k miles so far on this trip and the more I read on this site the more I worry about???? Wife says I am paranoid, been called worse.
Go with a ramp. It's quicker, safer and you don't have to crawl on the ground to use them. I have a set of Lynx Levelers that I use to level the trailer when I camp. They can be used to make a ramp to replace a tire, so there is also one less thing to carry.

I think your wife is right

Richard

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:55 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Thanks for the info on lynx levelers. I have a 2 step yellow leveler I purchased at campland. I will practice with a block of wood I have under that to see if it works. thanks again.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:32 PM   #50
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Does anyone feel the AS should be jacked when being parked for 30 to 45 days at a time.

I don't think these short periods qualify as "storing", but if I am wrong I will start jacking the thing?

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:08 PM   #51
_

. , .
hi srw

given they sit on the dealers lots AT LEAST this long...

it would seem lifting isn't needed...

does it seem reasonable for really long stretches?

perhaps.

sure the rubber bits (tires, axles) are designed for movement, but

is there ANY proof that lifting prolongs the iife of the axles...

no.

tires, maybe...

maybe not too.

cheers
2air'

one thing is certain, it can't fall OFF the jack stands if they aren't used.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:25 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have not yet heard of a specific time period. Couldn't hurt, but personally I woulldn't jack er up unless I was expecting it to sit for at least a few months. But then again, I have found myself expecting to go out again in a few weeks and it has turned into a few months.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:35 AM   #53
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Thanks, I appreciate the information.

Being retired is great, it allows us to take the AS out often, so having it sit for months is not on the calendar. At least for the near future.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:17 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Old Thread Revisited - Dexter has addressed this question

This is what Dexter has to say about it.

http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/1080235/f/...-07_72_res.pdf

I would suspect that all of the "rubber" torsion axles manufacturers recipes are very similar.

It stands to reason that any real or synthetic rubber will take a "set" over time. Logic indicates that the more compression (such as being loaded to near maximum as in a boat or travel trailer all of the time) the quicker a permanent deformation will occur.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:58 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Red Oak , Texas
Thanks for this thread. The history of posts answered my questions exactly. I searched for this thread under storage, full-timing and stumbled upon "jacks...lifting" which in hindsite seems obvious.

Thanks again!

Sharon
Old 10-14-2008, 06:17 AM   #56
1 Rivet Member

1987 29' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
Lifting Trailer

After reading the many post I decided to use the open door test and it worked. I lifted the trailer at frame where additional metal patches were and door did not open. I then lifted at Axel mounting plate and door opened, I placed jack stands next to jack and lowered trailer.
I may have misunderstood but during a factory tour the guide stated that you never lift at Axel mounting plate as it will cause misalignment.