Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2005, 08:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Shannon,

Consider yourself double lucky. Not only did you probably not ruin the axle, but if you had tried to weld a sleeve over it you would have ended up burning out the rubber rods that provide the springy action.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 01:21 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
shannon

Never, "EVER" jack up any Airstream trailer from the axle.

To do so, is asking for trouble.

A "good" Henschen axle for an Airstream, must have a bend in it, for proper alignment.

However, from 1974 on back, because of the composition of the rubber rods, you may already have a bad axle.

It's easy enough to check it out yourself. Go to http//www.inlandrv.com/articles/

Read the article, check your axle, and go from there.

You should check it with the trailer empty as well as with a full load. You should see a change in the "torsion arm angle" between those two conditions.

If you do not see a change, then quite well the trailer has been parked for a long period of time, and the rubber rods have hardened, making them almost useless. If the rubber has hardened, there will be little to no movement in the torsion arm, which in turn, will give the trailer a very rough ride. That will cause many problems, that will also cost many dollars to repair.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 05:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Shannon,

When your axle finally does die, do your homework before getting a Henschen. Many members on this board have had enormous success with Axis axles. The plus side is the price, compared to that of the Henschen. The quality of Axis axles, according to a lot of people, is superior to that of Henschen's, though I'm sure that's a topic for debate. I do know that, when it comes time for new axles on the Sovereign, I'm choosing Axis. I've done my homework, and it is my opinion that the construction methods Axis uses is better than Henschen's. Plus, did I mention that you really can't beat the price? Just my $.02.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 08:37 PM   #24
_

. , .
hi folks

well the factory is no longer using the henschens either.

with the 06 model year they switched to dexter torflex.......now i have no ideal what the relationship is between these various makers of rubber torsen axles....but it's hard for me to believe some of the brands don't share in some way....

anyway don the tour man now makes a point of showing a dexter now as part of the tour.

by the way, i have a bicycle with torsen rubber front suspension like our trailers.....of course the axles are much smaller but the design and mechanism is the same....

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 09:30 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi folks

well the factory is no longer using the henschens either.

with the 06 model year they switched to dexter torflex.......now i have no ideal what the relationship is between these various makers of rubber torsen axles....but it's hard for me to believe some of the brands don't share in some way....

anyway don the tour man now makes a point of showing a dexter now as part of the tour.

by the way, i have a bicycle with torsen rubber front suspension like our trailers.....of course the axles are much smaller but the design and mechanism is the same....

cheers
2air'
I wonder what Don the tour man says about the axles now since I remember he always said on the 3-4 tours I took during the past that the Henschen axles were the best ones made!

Also, to Inland Andy: I don't have my 2004 owner's manual in front of me, but I'm 99.9% sure that it says to use the plates labeled "jack" to put the jack to lift the tires to change them, and not for stabilizing the trailer.
My owners manual is pretty clear that you should either use these jack plates for that purpose, or else use wooden blocks.

If I'm not mistaken, then perhaps these plates were for a different purpose on older models? Mine clearly have a label saying "jack" and an arrow pointing to the jack plate. The only thing is, the plate is in a position that is impossible to jack the trailer up from!

John
Old 10-02-2005, 09:39 PM   #26
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
John,

Funny, my 71 Owner's Manual says the same thing about the jacking points. If the jacking plates weren't for jacking, then where would you jack indeed?

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 10:27 PM   #27
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, folks,

Quoting from page 34 of the 1979 Excella 500 owners guide:

Note: Whenever the trailer must be lifted with a jack as when changing a tire or leveling on very rough terrain, always place the jack under a the main frame rail. A label is provided to indicate the proper position for the jack. Never use stabilizing jacks to lift the trailer.

The diagram shows two "H" points just aft of the axles on the main frame rails, and the callout says it's "H - Hydaulic Jack Positions." These are still present on the belly. (And that bolding above is from the book, not my emphasis.)

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 04:47 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
All Airstream trailers since 1961 should be lifted off the ground at the axle mounting plate, "only".

The "jack" labels on the underbelly are for "stabilizing only". If you attempt the jack the trailer off the ground at the "jack" labels, the door will probable jam so that it will not open or close, amoung other things such as damage to some sheet metal components.

Andy
I admit I don't know anything for sure on this subject, just what I'm told by you "experts".

However, I keep asking those whom I think are the "experts" how to best jack up my Airstream, because I know I'll need to do it myself sooner or later, plus I take my trailer to my local garage once every year to have the wheel bearings repacked, brakes adjusted, for state inspection, etc., and I'd like to make sure nothing is done to damage my trailer by them jacking it up at the wrong place.

However, when I was at the factory a year ago for service, one of the contentious issues I had with my new trailer was that it didn't have sufficient grease in the wheel bearings when shipped new from the factory. Fortunately, another forum member here advised me to have my bearings checked before I took it on my first trip - I had my local garage do this - They found the bearings were insufficiently greased, and properly packed them. The factory didn't believe me, but said that my local garage may have put too much grease in instead, so the factory service guys jacked my entire trailer off the ground to check all my wheels at the same time, (I'm pretty sure of this) by putting 4 jacks/jack stands on the frame at positions well fore and well aft of the axle mounting plates. Don't they know how to jack up a trailer at the factory?

I thought I could jack up my trailer anywhere on the frame, as long as I was careful not to bend the "C" channel on the frame's edge, as you've already mentioned here, recognizing that the farther you get away from the axles the less practical it is to actually get the tires off the ground. Plus, that's basically what I was told by the service guy at the factory when I again asked this question when I was there this past June.

What to do???

Now, I'm becoming confused again by you, the same as I was originally by my owner's manual saying to use the plates labeled specifically for this purpose, when they are in fact too far to the rear of the axles to be used for jacking.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:00 AM   #29
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Flyfisher.

You stated one of the main reasons for not using the "jack" plate as a lifting point, in your post.

If you are not extremely careful, using the jack plate as a lifting point, you will damage the frame. Also, if the trailer slipped off the jack, it will go through the underbelly and possibly the floor.

Using the axle mounting plate, eliminates those possibilities.

Another reason, for not using the jack plates, is once the trailer is off the ground, you may or may not damage sheet metal, and, you may or may not open the entrance door, since you have severely twisted the shell.

Again, that does not happen when you use the axle mounting plate for lifting purposes.

The bottom line is if you use the jack plate area to lift the trailer, there are many disadvantages and zero advantages.

Lifting the trailer from the axle mounting plate, has all advantages and zero disadvantages.

Not much to think about as to which method is superior.

Andy
Old 10-03-2005, 11:37 AM   #30
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
jack points

ok lets put this issue to bed once and for all.

the photos that started this thread show the correct way to jack your trailer.

and here is why: my trailer has a jack point as described in the manual, it has a sticker pointing to the approved spot. AND a nice piece of sheet metal riveted to the underside so you can find it!

the reason i would never use it to jack my trailer is because it is fully 5 FEET! behind the axles. can you say buckled skin? these trailers flex, don't believe this? run your curbside front stabilizer jack down too far and try to close the door!

i think where the confusion comes from on this topic is from misleading info in the manual, and the fact BAL stabilizing jacks are accessories. most older trailers don't come with them and the owner is expected to use stand alone jacks to stabilize the trailer.

attached is the photo of my jack point i'll never use, and the pages from the manual.

as is pointed out in prior posts, it is just common sense. jack on the axle plate.

john
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jack point photo.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	15033   Click image for larger version

Name:	jack1.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	15034  

Name:	jack2.jpg
Views:	828
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	15035  
Old 10-03-2005, 12:09 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
john hd

The lifting point has been in a state of confusion for over 40 years.

Maybe we could have another subject matter, such as "Confusions laid to rest" with "facts". Or perhaps "Facts not Fiction".

Common sense sometimes is over ruled by hearsay, rumors, and but... but... but.....

Closing the entrance door is always the test.

When the trailer is jacked up, off the ground, can you open and close the entrance door? If the answer is yes, then you jacked it up correctly. If the answer is no, then obviously, the trailer was not jacked up correctly.

Andy
Old 10-04-2005, 06:13 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
john hd

Maybe we could have another subject matter, such as "Confusions laid to rest" with "facts". Or perhaps "Facts not Fiction".

Common sense sometimes is over ruled by hearsay, rumors, and but... but... but.....

Closing the entrance door is always the test.
Huh?

Here's another jacking method that works, the picture proves it, no hearsay, rumor or buts..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Jacking.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	15048  

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:04 PM   #33
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Jack

Wondering how I am suposed to jack the 19' Bambi up if I get a flat.I have been reading the manual but if anyone has any pics to show me where it goes it would be much appreciated.I am just wanting to do this right.Thanks.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:52 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Touchy subject.
I know my 77 Minuet has no marked jacking points.
The manual says "To change a tire with a jack, see the label affixed to the underbelly just to the rear of the wheels. This indicates the proper jack placement."
When the belly pan was off, the frame looked the same along its' length, no special reinforcement at the "Designated Jack Points".
In seeing the thickness of the C-channel frame, I have little faith in jacking at such a small surface as provided by the jack head alone.
To ease my mind about collapsing the frame, I always use a 12" 2x4 between the jack and frame. This spreads the lift weight of the trailer out over a larger portion of the frame.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:52 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to dustyrhodes
I need to jack up my 1977 overlander to remove the belly skin. To work underneath the trailer, I am assuming that I would use the same procedure. But before I make a serios error.........
dustyrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 09:07 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Thanks for the input, Andy. I always suspected those little diamonds were a squirrely place to jack the rig. Now,I am not entirely sure how I locate the axle mounting plates. Can you clear that up? Thanks. BTW, I have an '04 16.
frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:44 AM   #37
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
frozen chosen

The axle mounting plates are welded to the side of the frame.

The axle or axles are then bolted to that plate with two bolts at each end of the axle.

Andy
Old 10-27-2005, 05:04 PM   #38
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Dustyrhodes ..... if you are lifting the trailer off the ground such that the wheels no longer touch, I would place support over many places on the trailer along the frame rails. An Overlander is not light and the frame rails are inboard of the tires. So the trailer will be less stable than if it were on tires.

Be safe.

>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 11-17-2005, 12:01 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Lago Vista, working in Tyler , Texas
Could you use a long piece of angle iron to spread the load along the frame. Wrap it over the strong side of the "C" channel.

What do you do if you want to take both wheels off one side to do some resto work?

Thanks
Pete
xploretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 12:24 PM   #40
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The jacking point on any Airstream or Argosy trailer is the axle mounting plate, ONLY.

WHY????

SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY

You won't damage the underbelly, or take the risk of the jack sliding off the frame and punching a hole in the underbelly, or the trailer falling off the jack.

You take an unnecessary risk "IF" you use the jack plate label location.

Why take a chance?????

Andy