Old 06-06-2010, 04:59 AM   #1
1973 29' Ambassador
Brookdale , California
Jacking points on '73 Ambassador

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and Airstreams. I recently purchased a 1973 Ambassador that needs some work - mostly inteior and some exterior. Anyways, yesterday we brought it home and parked it in our driveway which isn't so level In all different ways. After playing with the front tonge we got it level on the longitudinal axes, but as for the lateral, we need about 5+ inches of up. So what we want to do is lift the left side of the trailer up and put some wood under the wheels untill it's level. The only problem is I am very new to airstreams and trailers alike, so I don't want to just throw a Jack under there and hope it holds. I have read that there are some jacking points near the Axel, but I don't think the little sticker is there anymore. Where should I place the Jack? And my second question is, what type of Jack can I use? Is a floor jack with a peice of wood alright?

I'm glad to be part of this new community and look forward to meeting some new people during my restoreation.
Thanks everyone

gwairways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I wouldn't use a jack at all. I would pull the trailer forward, put your 5" of wood where you want the trailer (In a gradual stack) and roll it up on the wood. If you really want to jack it, there should be a mark under the trailer behind the axle that is a separate square of metal placed on top of the belly pan. (at least mine had one on each side). A floor jack is fine. I got my trailer about a foot off the ground by riding it up on wood. No worries about jack failure or messing up the belly pan!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I usually jack up the fishplate, that flange the extends down from the frame that the axles are bolted to.
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote