Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2019, 05:16 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Woodstock , Connecticut
Jacking leveling my AS

I need to know where to place the jack to jack the AS to change/replace tires. I am replacing all four tire's and the spare. My mechanic thought he could jack on the axle, but I told him I had read that is a no-no.
Also read that the placard on the bottom of the AS is not easily identified.

Next, I broke my level and had to replace it, but lost the info on how to determine if AS is level before setting the level bubble. I am thinking if I use a long level placed on the floor that would show level. But I did that and am not so sure that is the correct way.

Thanks in advance for any help from all you expert , especially Bob

Curtis
airforus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
There will be a 2"x2" square of aluminum riveted to the belly pan at the spots where you place the jack. There is one on each side toward the back of the trailer. I have the trailer hitched to my vehicle hen I jack to make sure nothing moves.

As for leveling, yes just use a level on the floor and check front to back and level to right. Get it level that way and then install your levels on the trailer.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
And usually there is also a decal saying “Jack” with an arrow pointing to the spot
Old 05-20-2019, 07:02 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I do it here...the AS 'jack' was 5" off and missed the frame. 👎

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1c0b.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	341214  
Old 05-20-2019, 07:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The jack location is where the leveling jacks are located. This is not a jack point. Jack the trailer any place on the axle mounting plate. Best place is between the wheels. If there is a shock there make sure you are on the plate and not the shock mount. It is a vertical plate the axles mount to. I usually put a floor jack between the two wheels and that works fine. I have also used the end of the plate in front of and behind the wheels. Robert got it right above this post.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I jack the trailer using the frame between the wheels.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:20 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Around , Town
Highly likely that the owner's manual has details on how to jack the trailer. If print version of the manual is not with the trailer, corporate Airstream has it as a download.

Reason for referring the jacking question back to your manual is that other's responses will come from perspectives of their trailer which might, or might not, work for yours.
JayTheCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I used the vertical rail that the axles attach to.
I used a floor jack in front of the front wheel, and put the jack stand behind the rear wheel.
At first putting the floor jack between the wheels looks appealing, but the plastic low point drain is there, and accidentally breaking that off would be a disaster.
The Airstream jack points are not as convenient as hoped. First, you need to lay on the ground, next, there can be gas and water lines running right through that area.
If the frame rail is strong enough to support the axles going down the road, it should support a jack! (It did!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	metal21.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	341223  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:10 AM   #9
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
And usually there is also a decal saying “Jack” with an arrow pointing to the spot
I concur.

In addition, you can drive up one tire on each side to raise the other, this requires no jacks.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:20 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTheCPA View Post
Highly likely that the owner's manual has details on how to jack the trailer.
. . .
Amazing how many simple questions could be answered by starting with the owner's manual . . .

RTFM!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:41 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Amazing how many simple questions could be answered by starting with the owner's manual . . .

RTFM!

I actually downloaded the manual for the 26U to try and find where the outputs of the 12v. breakers went. So, far, I've failed.
The manual says to "consult the wiring diagram", and then there isn't one for 12 v. (Just the main diagram.)
Someone probably will make me look foolish, but it would be worth it.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
***** OT to the OP's questions *****

I think this is your owner's manual:

https://cdn.airstream.com/wp-content...manual-149.pdf

On p. 8-18 [PDF p. 86/116] is the 12-volt wiring diagram, and on the right edge in the middle is the distribution scheme from the power center/converter. [See Note #4]

Granted, you have to zoom in to see this schematic, and trace the lines [a table would be easier IMO], but does this schematic cover it?

Peter
Old 05-20-2019, 01:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I have jacked my trailers from the jack point label (that is where the manual says to do it) and from the axle mounting plate. It is interesting to me that we are not supposed to use the stabilizers as levelers but it is OK to raise the wheels off the ground with a jack from essentially the same place. When I use the jack points, it distorts the frame so that the entry door will not open if closed or close if open. It seems to me that if the axle mounting plate can support the weight of the trailer when the wheels are on the ground one should be able to jack there. In a similar thread someone suggested to use a load spreader so as not to concentrate the load at a small jack piston top. That sounded like good advice. I use a piece of 2x4 or 4x4 or steel angle if I have one.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:38 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
Torsional Stress when lifting from a single Jack point

I RTM and FTM
Read the Manual and Followed the Manual!

But I was quite disturbed by the torsional stress the entire body seemed to suffer when jacking from one Jack Point high enough to get the two wheels on that side high enough for removal.

The driving up on a single wheel ramp seemed dramatically less stress, but 4 trips to the tire store seemed less advantageous, so I followed the manual and did 2 at a time.

I was afraid that I did damage due to the stress and thought there must be a better way to get both wheels off.

Plus it would be a great “Feature Enhancement” to have both a Jack Point and a “Jack Stand Point.”
After I had the rig up off the ground, removed the wheels, I looked for a place to safely put a jack stand for safety while the tires were taken to the shop and I did not want to leave it up on a Jack for a few hours.
GeeSag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:51 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Woodstock , Connecticut
Quote:

RTFM!

Did read the owners manual. Not very precise. The placard that say's jack with the arrow points to a spot with a rivet but no 2 X 2 plate. I think either Bob's advice or one about in between the wheels will be the way to go.

Curtis
airforus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
***** OT to the OP's questions *****

I think this is your owner's manual:

https://cdn.airstream.com/wp-content...manual-149.pdf

On p. 8-18 [PDF p. 86/116] is the 12-volt wiring diagram, and on the right edge in the middle is the distribution scheme from the power center/converter. [See Note #4]

but does this schematic cover it?

Peter
Maybe I'm blind. Yes, Page 8-18. Yes, that's the manual. the one I downloaded. I even rotated it so the text is right side up. Yes, Note 4.
Then it says "To 12v. Trailer schematic. See trailer schematic for model"-----but there isn't one.
The next page starts the 120v. schematics, and never returns to 12v.
Did I go crazy?
Old 05-21-2019, 12:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
. . .
Did I go crazy?
. . .
Nope!

Sorry, I missed the missing 12-volt schematics.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:42 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Nope!

Sorry, I missed the missing 12-volt schematics.

No biggie.
To put a finer point on it, I posted that because people were beating up the OP for "Not reading the manual".
Now being male, I'm adverse to reading instructions, but eventually I try, and sometimes don't find my answer.
Then I ask!
Old 05-26-2019, 09:16 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I have jacked my trailers from the jack point label (that is where the manual says to do it) and from the axle mounting plate. It is interesting to me that we are not supposed to use the stabilizers as levelers but it is OK to raise the wheels off the ground with a jack from essentially the same place. When I use the jack points, it distorts the frame so that the entry door will not open if closed or close if open. It seems to me that if the axle mounting plate can support the weight of the trailer when the wheels are on the ground one should be able to jack there. In a similar thread someone suggested to use a load spreader so as not to concentrate the load at a small jack piston top. That sounded like good advice. I use a piece of 2x4 or 4x4 or steel angle if I have one.

Al
I have a couple of hockey pucks that I use on our cars and trailer to spread the load. About $1 each.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:57 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
if you contact airstream and let them know what you need,, 12v wiring schematic, they will send one to you.. I got 12v, 120v, cold and hot water, and sewer lines schematic. make finding stuff so much easier especially wiring stuff..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I actually downloaded the manual for the 26U to try and find where the outputs of the 12v. breakers went. So, far, I've failed.
The manual says to "consult the wiring diagram", and then there isn't one for 12 v. (Just the main diagram.)
Someone probably will make me look foolish, but it would be worth it.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote