Old 07-18-2007, 06:01 AM   #1

1988 34' Excella
Cambridge , Ontario
Question jacking - help appreciated

Hello!!

My wife and I just bought an 88 34' excella. Its great so far. We intend to leave it in its park for 2 to 3 years so I presume I should jack it up.

I see jack points stickers with arrows and a diamond shaped area close by in the plastic bellypan (right term?).

Is it at the diamond shaped points that I jack? Will the jacking rip the plastic bellypan skin?

What kind of jack do I use?

Do I leave the jacks in place or somehow put timbers and/or concrete blocks somewhere and then remove the jacks.....if so where do I put the timbers or concrete blocks?

I bring the front up with the electric jack?

Thanks so much.....I want to do it right!

Sandpyper

Old 07-18-2007, 10:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
With smaller Airstreams there are aluminum squares pop-riveted to the belly skin that mark four good locations to place STABILIZERS. Any lifting, even wrenching on a stabilizer, will deform the U-Channel frame underneath the belly skin and you risk stabbing through skin if it slides off.

As far as I know any true lifting must be done from the knifes edge of the vertical steel plate your axles bolt up to - and if I were cribbing up a 34' I'd use both ends of both plates to spread the weight (where it extends beyond the wheel & tire).

I found two 6-Ton bottle jacks on sale for $10 each and use one on each side (I got two to keep from carrying one back and forth) but NEVER lift both left and right sides at once, too easy for trailer to move thus kicking out jacks at 1/10th lightspeed while it falls. It's a three-legged table, always keep two 'legs' on the ground!

Is the 'Park' you mentioned paved or have concrete pads provided?

The tongue jack is really for hitching convenience - if the trailer is to sit for a while some timber cribbing under the 'A' frame would be worth the effort. Often the jacks are stamped with their load rating so that 1500 pound jack will self-destruct if you start using it to dead-lift the trailer w/o the usual counter-balance fore and aft of the axles assisting the jack.

I hope someones else chimes in w/ more info but DO ask if anything needs clarifying....

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Here I buried two railroad ties together to stabilize pylons on turf.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RRtiesand blocks.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	41411  

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:34 PM   #4

1988 34' Excella
Cambridge , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer
With smaller Airstreams there are aluminum squares pop-riveted to the belly skin that mark four good locations to place STABILIZERS. Any lifting, even wrenching on a stabilizer, will deform the U-Channel frame underneath the belly skin and you risk stabbing through skin if it slides off.

As far as I know any true lifting must be done from the knifes edge of the vertical steel plate your axles bolt up to - and if I were cribbing up a 34' I'd use both ends of both plates to spread the weight (where it extends beyond the wheel & tire).

I found two 6-Ton bottle jacks on sale for $10 each and use one on each side (I got two to keep from carrying one back and forth) but NEVER lift both left and right sides at once, too easy for trailer to move thus kicking out jacks at 1/10th lightspeed while it falls. It's a three-legged table, always keep two 'legs' on the ground!

Is the 'Park' you mentioned paved or have concrete pads provided?

The tongue jack is really for hitching convenience - if the trailer is to sit for a while some timber cribbing under the 'A' frame would be worth the effort. Often the jacks are stamped with their load rating so that 1500 pound jack will self-destruct if you start using it to dead-lift the trailer w/o the usual counter-balance fore and aft of the axles assisting the jack.

I hope someones else chimes in w/ more info but DO ask if anything needs clarifying....

Thank you SO much for the valuable info!! Sandpyper
Old 07-18-2007, 06:35 PM   #5

1988 34' Excella
Cambridge , Ontario
New to this.....trying it out.......THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE VALUABLE INFORMATION. Sandpyper
Old 07-18-2007, 06:41 PM   #6

1988 34' Excella
Cambridge , Ontario
Question belly covering?

Bottom of our trailer is completely covered, I think, with a plastic skin. Makes it hard to see frame location......but have not looked closely at wheel area...the mounting bracket where you jack is exposed??

Holes in plastic in places. Patch with plastic stuck on with caulking to keep out mice??
Old 07-18-2007, 07:00 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Be careful where you jack and put it on jack stands. There are only a few places you can do this without doing damage to the shell.

Additionally, I would caution anyone against using cinderblocks as vehicle holders. They were never designed for these kinds of uses. I did it and watched on crumble and nearly drop my car off. Use a good set of jack stands instead of cinderblocks.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Belly skin is reeeaally thin aluminum...

Welcome Sandpyper!

That belly covering is actually thick aluminum foil, or thin aluminum sheet. Neither it nor the little strips under it will survive jacking up to lift weight of trailer off the ground...

Look carefully at wheel and axle assembly, and consider jack lifting points to be ends of axle assembly where they bolt to sides of trailer frame... May take some careful work to jack around that point, and then insert jack stand or other permanent stand to support trailer off the ground... Rear scissor jacks and front jack are for "stability" only.. Idea of jacking front a little high and using heavy wood to support front of frame is also good..

Belly wrap (as it's called) serves 3 purposes, all pretty important at various times..
1. Streamline and reduce wind resistance/moisture penetration when towing
2. Close in area under tanks for heat retention when furnace is on to keep tanks from freezing (yes, the sub-floor are is heated by a duct from furnace..)
3. Keep rodents and critters from setting up camp in your basement...

If you have holes or tears, patches are good idea, as is filling manufacturer holes with patch of something like steel wool or aluminum sheet to retain enclosure and prevent access...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote