Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #21
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I am not an expert here, but I have a19' Bambi and I have a reese weight hitch. The second photo has u setting way to low. If all is set properly the jack foot should fit. Right now my sububan is loaded, it rides low in the back, I have to lift the back of my car two inches to make sure the airstream is level. I hook up to the 4th chain. By doing so it now allows enough clearence to get the jacck foot under. When you unhook, jack goes way up, bars come off, the jack goes down to take pressure off back. You flip hitch lever, put jack high again to release, pull away a little.

To hitch up, i put jack up, get ball under, lower ball, lower lever onto hitch, put pin thru, then i put jack way high, put hars on 4th chain. Then lower jack all the way, the car should have been picked up enough that u get the foot off no problem. Check you hitch settings.

Imhave never had a oroblem and that jack foot sits on a two square of plywood.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
We don't use an attached jack foot on our 19' ... we use a separate jack stand. You can get plastic jack stands from Camping World, etc, but we have a 7" cast aluminum jack stand that we bought from a family that makes them in Indiana. Ours is 7" but they also make a 4". The 7" works for most our situations, but when the slope of the campsite is such that we can't get the 7" jack stand under the jack post, we use a piece of wood instead. PM me if you want the info to order a cast aluminum jack stand.
Could you give us the contact info where we could buy these?
Thanks

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #23
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
See user dgk on this site

Here is info

Hi The measurement is for height. The 7 in. Base measure is 10 1/8 the cost is 40.00 plus shipping around 15.00. The 4 in. Base is 8 1/16 and is 35.00. Plus shipping in a flat rate box. Sorry for not keeping in touch. You can reach me ( Deb Kyle 1419 ) 1-260-665-6014 or 181south 900 west Angola Indiana 46703. We will be at region 5 I will try to have some of each of the casting. Thank you Deb
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:51 AM   #24
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
In my sometimes not so humble opinion:

The "Fast way" above looks like a good idea, but never tried one.

It seems easier to move the TV than rachet the tongue over to meet the hitch with a wrench with the "Hitch Helper".

I have one of those aluminum post bases. Also a metal wheely thing for the post. I will sell them both really really cheap. One thing about the wheely things is you better have your wheels chocked before you unhitch or you may end up chasing your trailer. Guess how i know this. Another vote for wood blocks.
Exactly...the hitch helper looks like another silly gimmick to me.

And those cOOl looking aluminum stands....I'd hate to accidentally back up and touch the trailer frame a little hard and see my trailer tumble off that precarious looking aluminum post base.

Thanks for the heads up about the "wheel chase"....you have to admit those jack wheels are cOOl looking. I've got one I used on a utility trailer but never on the Airstream.

My vote is sand foot on a wood block...(because as someone stated on here the wood block helps insulate against lighting strikes)
LFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC View Post
Exactly...the hitch helper looks like another silly gimmick to me.
The Hitch Helper was designed for hitching up a Hensley or Propride, but will work for a standard ball hitch too. It is wonderful to use with my Hensley Hitch and I wouldn't be without it.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC View Post

My vote is sand foot on a wood block...(because as someone stated on here the wood block helps insulate against lighting strikes)
You are kidding yourself if you think a little wood block will insulate you against a lightning strike.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Sometimes my Airstream jack stand has been too high as well, and had to dig a hole for it.

Good reminder, I just ordered the BAL Tongue Twister which may also be useful when hitching up.

doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
We don't use an attached jack foot on our 19' ... we use a separate jack stand. You can get plastic jack stands from Camping World, etc, but we have a 7" cast aluminum jack stand that we bought from a family that makes them in Indiana. Ours is 7" but they also make a 4". The 7" works for most our situations, but when the slope of the campsite is such that we can't get the 7" jack stand under the jack post, we use a piece of wood instead. PM me if you want the info to order a cast aluminum jack stand.
I use the 7 1nch cast alum. stand that I pur. with A.S. in 1976, manf. by Joe's Trailer Jack Buoy, Blowing Rock, State? Have never seen one since but looks same as 1 posted, 1976 has ball hgt. of 18 inch bottom of a frame to ground is 17 1/4 inch never had to dig gopher holes. Have never used wheel or any thing perm. mounted on jack, more lost ground clearance
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
In my sometimes not so humble opinion:

The "Fast way" above looks like a good idea, but never tried one.

It seems easier to move the TV than rachet the tongue over to meet the hitch with a wrench with the "Hitch Helper".

I have one of those aluminum post bases. Also a metal wheely thing for the post. I will sell them both really really cheap. One thing about the wheely things is you better have your wheels chocked before you unhitch or you may end up chasing your trailer. Guess how i know this. Another vote for wood blocks.
I use chocks for use by big trks. connected by chain, you will not knock off stand or roll with wheel, forget to pick up trailer will not move no matter what power is applied never been able to roll over them either
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Hi, Campadk,
Minno's link will solve your problem. We use a foot likethis:

The one you're using is too tall for most situations, but keep it in your toolkit for the 10% of times you're camped on a downslope.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
I recall my Airstream came with a round, flat plate that could bolt to the bottom of the jack post. It looked like the foot you've got, less the extension. Using that would effectively shorten the post by 4"-5". Perhaps Barker can provide one.

But it is curious only you are facing the problem, and not other Bambi owners as well...
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
I've got the same, tall jackstand. It situations where it is too tall I simply use an appropriately sized wooden block. I've got sections of 2X6 and 4X6 which work well. No very elegant, but it works.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:18 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Well my setup looks level, weight is distributed properly and my setup works perfect but still when I go to unhitch and take off the bars the current stand is a tight fit most of the time camping on dirt in the Adirondacks. I could assist by lifting the tongue a bit so my wife can get the stand under but I'd rather save my back. Instead I just gopher hole it to eliminate unhitch, rehitching problems.

Here is a shot of the setup on level ground by the way. I'd have to tilt the trailer up a bit by moving up a pin on the hitch if I wanted to make the current stand work, and then my bars wouldn't sit level.

I do like the idea of the sleeve on my current stand 'just in case' so there is no way the post falls off the stand due to a stupid mistake lol.

I like Minno's suggested stand and will be ordering one of those. My storage guy will be happy too. No more gopher holes!
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:05 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Go to Home Depot and have a 2 by 6 cut into one to two foot lengths. Use however many you need under the jack post without using the stand. Use the rest to level the trailer. Simple, and no holes to dig, not appreciated at some campgrounds. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #35
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I think SBB has the right answer in post #21: Lower the jack (raise the hitch and back of tv) before you loosen the chains on your wd hitch. Likewise, when you are hitching up, raise the hitch with the jack before you set the wd chains.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
1 , Washington
I found this thread super helpful and will be ordering a supplemental stand from the link Minno suggested!
T1NCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:17 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
I ended up buying one similar to the one jspafford posted. I leave it on the stand. Doesn't get in the way so its fine to leave on when towing. Works super! No fiddling around trying to get the jack stand underneath the post. Should have done this years ago!
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:44 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by campadk View Post
I ended up buying one similar to the one jspafford posted. I leave it on the stand. Doesn't get in the way so its fine to leave on when towing. Works super! No fiddling around trying to get the jack stand underneath the post. Should have done this years ago!
The new to me Eddie Bauer came with this foot permanently installed - and a Hensley Hitch. Took me about 2 seconds to love it!

Paula