Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Jack points

Do Airstreams have designated jack points? The reason I ask is that at the Heartland Rally this summer Lippert said to lift on the axles, not the frame. Dexter said to lift on the frame, not the axles. We decided that the solution is to have Superman come and pick up the whole rig. <grin>

Seriously, I'm used to having clearly marked places for the jacks, and it bothers me more than a little that such a simple thing would cause such confusion.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Never on the axle shafts.
Axle mounting plates (which are mounted to the frame) - OK
There are spots on many models aft of the axles, with a "jack here" tag and a square plated riveted to the underbelly. I prefer the axle mounting plates, but specific models and suspensions differ. Do you have an AS yet....your name still says currently looking.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
When my A/S was at the factory shop last year, I asked the techs. They said it was o.k. to jack anywhere along the longitudinal frame members (to which e.g. the axles attach), as indicated by a row of rivets. It seems to me that there is an issue with keeping the jack on the frame member, so I tend to jack only at the axle mounting plates.

But more of the time, since I have a dual axle rig, I don't jack it up at all for e.g. wheel changes or bearing repack; I just roll the one wheel on the side I want to work on - the wheel that I'm not interested in working on - up onto some blocks, so that the one wheel that I AM interested in working on, goes off of the ground. Presto!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I jack mine on axle mounting plates. I locate the bottle jack so pad is completely on the plate but offset towards the boxed side of the C channel.

I'm of differing opinion than above, I find jacking easier for tire changes than the axle ramps and one wheel at a time approach. On a level paved lot I can have all four up in matter of 5 minutes using two bottle jacks. If you're working under trailer always use sturdy jack stands and not rely on just the jack- for safety.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Have always used the axle mount plates...

The marked jack points were not positioned under the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007 WINTERIZE 007.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	440.2 KB
ID:	139246  
Old 09-02-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I bought a Trailer Aide Plus just before our last trip and had to use it three times. If you have a dual axle trailer, this is the way to go. And it's really easy to use. The tire shops were impressed. I bought the yellow one so I wouldn't forget it when done.
Attached Images

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
dznf0g, no we don't - yet. We're still in the learning and looking stage, but are narrowing things down some. A year ago we were pretty sure that a FW would be what we would get for a FT rig. Today, the FW is pretty much off the list, and an Airstream or DP are on (and more or less in that order). We understand that any rv is a compromise, and we're trying to learn as much as possible before we write that big check.

Unless we win the lottery (without buying any tickets), we'll be buying everything used (Airstream and tow vehicle or DP and toad). We're well aware that the older something is the more likely it is to need repair or replacement. My concern here is that this summer at the Heartland Rally we heard from Lippert to jack on the axle mounts, and Dexter said to jack on the frame. Heartland says to jack on the frame as close as possible to the axle mounting points, which seems to make the most sense to me. I just wondered if Airstream has readily identifiable jack points, and from the answers here, it seems that they do.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Jack placement and jack stands;

I've had the same question about jacking up my 1969 Overlander.
There's no riveted plate underneath, or any placards. I believe that the frame runs the entire length, from the tongue to the bumper, with the axle mounts in the middle. I'm not quite sure where to place the bottle jack at the axle mount. Mine appear to be vertically welded, to the sides of the frame. I'll have to examine more closely.
What I'd like to know is, once I've lifted the trailer on one side, can I place jack stands at the rear bumper and front tongue, for safety?
The frame at the rear bumper drops down at around the waste tank, but my bumper has had some welding done to it. Did they tack an extension onto it?
I don't like the "roll-on" ramps, because I can't hitch up without hanging into the street, and I don't like reversing onto ramps. Plus, I want to work on both tires at the same time. Just my 2cents.
edglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by edglenn View Post
I've had the same question about jacking up my 1969 Overlander.
There's no riveted plate underneath, or any placards. I believe that the frame runs the entire length, from the tongue to the bumper, with the axle mounts in the middle. I'm not quite sure where to place the bottle jack at the axle mount. Mine appear to be vertically welded, to the sides of the frame. I'll have to examine more closely.
What I'd like to know is, once I've lifted the trailer on one side, can I place jack stands at the rear bumper and front tongue, for safety?
The frame at the rear bumper drops down at around the waste tank, but my bumper has had some welding done to it. Did they tack an extension onto it?
I don't like the "roll-on" ramps, because I can't hitch up without hanging into the street, and I don't like reversing onto ramps. Plus, I want to work on both tires at the same time. Just my 2cents.
The trailer should only be jacked up using the axle mounting plate.

If, for some reason, the entire trailer needs to raised and will stay that way for an extended period of time, then jack stands can be placed on the A-frame, and at the frame just forward of the bumper, PLUS, jack stands at the axle mounting plates.

DO NOT place jack stands only at the front and rear. To do so, will most likely cause some shell and/or internal damage. There must be jack stands at the axle mounting plates at the same time.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
ed,

I don't go any further back than what's shown in my photo above.
I have used the tongue many times for added support with a jackstand.

Guess I just don't trust AS after the marked jacking point ended up being just a piece of aluminum tape with an arrow pointing to the LPG line for the WH....not such a good idea!

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07753.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	140200  
Old 09-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
ed,

Guess I just don't trust AS after the marked jacking point ended up being just a piece of aluminum tape with an arrow pointing to the LPG line for the WH....not such a good idea!

Bob
Unfortunately, and maybe to save a few bucks, those labels should say, "leveling jacks" and not just jacks.

Thousands of owners think that "jack" label, is a lifting point.

WRONG.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Whew! Good information! I was going to pull my tires today but didn't get around to it. Glad I checked these posts.
So.....exactly what does the axle mounting plate LOOK like? Is it the large flange, or "L" channel, that runs vertically where the axle and shock absorbers bolt to?
Old 09-14-2011, 09:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by edglenn View Post
Whew! Good information! I was going to pull my tires today but didn't get around to it. Glad I checked these posts.
So.....exactly what does the axle mounting plate LOOK like? Is it the large flange, or "L" channel, that runs vertically where the axle and shock absorbers bolt to?
Yes
Old 09-14-2011, 09:08 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Unfortunately, and maybe to save a few bucks, those labels should say, "leveling jacks" and not just jacks.

Thousands of owners think that "jack" label, is a lifting point.

WRONG.

Andy
Apparently there has been some inconsistency between models and years. Although I have never jacked anywhere but the axle mounting plate, here is what my manual says and what is under the AS:

Manual says there is a jack lifting point inboard of a label which says Jack here and an arrow pointing to a 2" x 2" aluminum diamond shape piece riveted to the frame at the joint of the belly pan and the lower curved wrap.

And that is exactly what I have under the trailer.

All that being said, I prefer to have the weight of the trailer on a jack where the weight is all the rest of the time...in a reinforced portion of the frame which takes all sorts of loading while running down the road.

Just my Opinion.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
ed,

Bob
Robert, is that little silver "bar" right at the LEFT edge of your pic a 2" X 2" aluminum piece riveted to the frame? If it is, THAT is the AS designated jacking point...not the label or anywhere between the label and the "patch" indicator.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:22 PM   #16
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Apparently, this is what they use at the JC factory, according to one member who had his rig there on many occasions. He stated several times on here that JC always lifted his trailer to do work using those indicated spots.

And he was talking about a 34-footer...

But this isn't the first time that this information (as printed in many Owners Manual over many, many years) has been disputed on our forum.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:11 AM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Robert, is that little silver "bar" right at the LEFT edge of your pic a 2" X 2" aluminum piece riveted to the frame? If it is, THAT is the AS designated jacking point...not the label or anywhere between the label and the "patch" indicator.

dzn,

yep & nope...the streetside is correct, (picture), ignoring the LPG line, the curbside is non-existant, nadda.
I prefer to jack where I can see how stable the jack is, no guessing involved.

Bob
Old 09-15-2011, 05:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
It might be helpful to show some photos of exactly where to jack and showing the jack in place. A "how to" video would be helpful also. Thanks.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:10 AM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
It might be helpful to show some photos of exactly where to jack and showing the jack in place. A "how to" video would be helpful also. Thanks.

Dan
Ask and it will be done.....as soon as it stops raining.

Bob
Old 09-15-2011, 07:04 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
So if your hydraulic jack is placed between the two axles (?) for example, and you lift up one side of the trailer, where do you place the jack stands?
In front of, and to the rear of the axles, along the frame rail?
I never rely on the hydraulic jack to support the weight, only use it to get it up onto the jack stands.