Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2019, 12:43 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
guskmg wins the survey with the correct "factory approved" answer. Al and Missy are right about the door, btw. Doesn't mean the others are wrong, but it might mean they're just lucky. Oh ..., logic may be your guide, but there are a whole lot of things Airstream that aren't logical...

Back in 2014 my trailer came back from repair with no Jack Point Markers on the curb side. Here's a cut and paste from my inquiry to the factory as to where to put one and whether it should line up with the street side:

"The jack points can be put in anywhere along the frame between the axle and the bumper. Depending on how the lines (LP, tanks ect.) under a unit are laid out determines where we put them. Most times they won’t line up.

Airstream Customer Relations
937-596-6111 Ext. 7401"
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:52 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
Purchase a Trailer Aide. Drive on block to raise the tire in order to change the tire. Much safer &easier than jacking.
GatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:13 AM   #23
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
What I have found with my Classic 30 Slide is that if I jack from the rear jack point the frame bends enough that the entry door will not open (or close). Since as AW Warn stated the axle mounting bracket on the frame carries the load of both axles and must be designed to handle impulse loads I'm confident that (at least for my trailer) slow and easy jacking on that point is better for the frame than jacking at the jack point. The frame (and monocoque body shell) are apparently designed to sag away from the axles. It would seem that reversing that curve by jacking at the rear wouldn't be a good thing. I'm just saying.....
Yep...

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1c0b.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	334363   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1c0c.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	334364  

Old 02-25-2019, 11:15 AM   #24
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Yep...

Bob

Bob,

Thats just plain cheating!

Hand me another bandaid.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:37 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
I'm looking for a bottle jack plate or cradle adapter so that I may safely jack my 68 Caravel. I was wondering what people here might use to mount on their bottle jack top end where its contacts the jacking point.

The photos show the axle (newly restored and current) and it's attachment. I'm assuming that I'll use the vertical plate in the top foreground as the jacking point.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1303 crop.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	334495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cravel 68 New Axle View crop.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	334496  

SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #26
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
SilverWind. What is that metal work extending down from the axle mount? Looks like something to hit road kill.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:17 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
SilverWind. What is that metal work extending down from the axle mount? Looks like something to hit road kill.
Yes. Interesting isn't it?

The restoration and axle install was done by a very reputable restorer/axle guy in upstate New York and was commissioned by the previous owner.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:24 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
I've found this solution and will give it a try.

https://safejacks.com/products/flat-...r-bottle-jacks

https://safejacks.com/products/exten...or-6-ton-jacks

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 4 inch square flat pad fits on top of the 6 ton Omega bottle jack, the collar helps stabilize and they guarantee compatibility with the 6 Ton Omega jack.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:12 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
On many older Airstreams with single axles, that loop was there as a protective skid to keep the trailer more level when a tire blows out or goes flat. It's a darn good idea on a single axle trailer of all vintages...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:56 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
On many older Airstreams with single axles, that loop was there as a protective skid to keep the trailer more level when a tire blows out or goes flat. It's a darn good idea on a single axle trailer of all vintages...
Thanks. Makes perfect sense.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:13 AM   #31
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
I can see that. Thanks.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:01 AM   #32
Full-timer

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Santa Rosa , California
Missing plate on my 2010 FC 27FB

Our Goodyear Marabombs (photo 1) were separating after 30,000 miles of our year-long trip. We were very lucky to have noticed this, as it was a disaster waiting to happen. Only checked closely because we had just passed the 4-year mark with regard to the coded age of the tires.

We went to replace them at the Discount Tire here in Alamogordo, and thanks to the Airforums community, I knew to be very specific with instructions on how to jack up the adventure burrito.

Once confirming that they had the Goodyear Endurance 15" tires I wanted, I explained to manager that they needed to use the labeled jack plates instead of the axels.

While explaining this, I discovered that the curbside jackplate had fallen off , as well as rivets connecting the bottom trim/skirt just in front of our steps (photo 2).

I had them use the place where that plate SHOULD have been, and it worked well... but their jacks couldn't lift all 4 tires off the ground. So after some discussion we decided that we would switch the rear tires, then drop it back down and drive the rear tires up on our plastic blocks so they could switch out the front tires.

Manager agreed, but apparently the tech was not paying attention. While joking with my wife, I suddenly realized that the tech had begun jacking at a point next to the front axle and near the tank.

Luckily, I caught it, but not before a bit of bending to that flange (photo 3). No apparent damage to the actual frame or tanks... but we were very fortunate!

Lesson: STAY AND WATCH EVERY MOVE NO MATTER HOW CLEARLY YOU EXPLAIN PROPER PROCEDURE!

To follow up, I replaced several of the rivets around the proper jack point... but hope to have the AS dealer in Tucson replace the plate itself in Decemeber.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20191031_140620_MP.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	363.4 KB
ID:	355386   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191031_141505.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	355387  

Name:	IMG_20191101_095752_MP.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	355388   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191031_140843_MP.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	355389  

2010 27' Flying Could FB
2017 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L Max Trailering
HaulinOats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:26 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaulinOats View Post
Our Goodyear Marabombs (photo 1) were separating after 30,000 miles of our year-long trip. We were very lucky to have noticed this, as it was a disaster waiting to happen. Only checked closely because we had just passed the 4-year mark with regard to the coded age of the tires.

We went to replace them at the Discount Tire here in Alamogordo, and thanks to the Airforums community, I knew to be very specific with instructions on how to jack up the adventure burrito.

Once confirming that they had the Goodyear Endurance 15" tires I wanted, I explained to manager that they needed to use the labeled jack plates instead of the axels.

While explaining this, I discovered that the curbside jackplate had fallen off , as well as rivets connecting the bottom trim/skirt just in front of our steps (photo 2).

I had them use the place where that plate SHOULD have been, and it worked well... but their jacks couldn't lift all 4 tires off the ground. So after some discussion we decided that we would switch the rear tires, then drop it back down and drive the rear tires up on our plastic blocks so they could switch out the front tires.

Manager agreed, but apparently the tech was not paying attention. While joking with my wife, I suddenly realized that the tech had begun jacking at a point next to the front axle and near the tank.

Luckily, I caught it, but not before a bit of bending to that flange (photo 3). No apparent damage to the actual frame or tanks... but we were very fortunate!

Lesson: STAY AND WATCH EVERY MOVE NO MATTER HOW CLEARLY YOU EXPLAIN PROPER PROCEDURE!

To follow up, I replaced several of the rivets around the proper jack point... but hope to have the AS dealer in Tucson replace the plate itself in Decemeber.

I do not use the labeled jack points on our FC23FB. These are at the rear of the frame, and torque the frame excessively. I use a Camco Trailer-Aid Tandem Tire Ramp, which is far safer and easier than any bottle or floor jack. Once the tire technicians see it used, they are all aboard. I operate the tow vehicle while the tech directs positioning for me.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:07 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Our local America's Tire (Discount Tire) always uses our Trailer Aid on our tandem axel trailers. We completely avoid jacking.

https://www.campingworld.com/trailer...ack-10867.html