Old 06-11-2018, 04:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Jack fuse blows when changing direction

Asking for a friend. Barker jack on a 2008, same one as on my 2014.

When lowering or raising his jack, if you switch directions BEFORE the jack motor stops turning, the fuse blows. This doesn't happen on mine--I can be lowering it, then in an instant switch to raising it, and it's fine. His blows the fuse. I'm guessing for whatever reason, the load on the motor is too much when trying to reverse the motor while it's still moving in the other direction.

Might there be a switch of some sort needing replacement? It can be managed by making sure the motor has stopped before changing the direction, but often times without thinking his wife will go to raise or lower the jack, realize it's the wrong direction, and immediately flip the switch to the opposite direction...and blow the fuse. He travels with a baggie full of spare fuses :-)

pcskier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
. . . "manage" for now and order a new switch [or two] -- changing directions midstream should not blow the fuse IMO. With a setup that old, it might be time to check all the wires and connection points, including the ground wire which can be down below someplace. Any corrosion or bad connections might be part of the problem IMO.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Another possibility is that his spare fuses are not the correct "slow-blow" type fuses...

They are more tolerant than standard fuses to the current surge you get when you rapidly change directions...

Or the jack motor could be getting old and tired, and your friend may just be in need of jacking up the Airstream and sliding a shiny new jack assembly into place?

For another data point, mine has yet to blow a fuse, but I'm not super quick in changing directions...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Another possibility is that his spare fuses are not the correct "slow-blow" type fuses...

They are more tolerant than standard fuses to the current surge you get when you rapidly change directions...

You might be on to something here. He is just using standard automotive ones. Thanks, will let him know and report back.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Corona , California
The proper slow blow fuses are a bit of a pain to locate. Search around the forum posts for more info...but yeah, standard fuses are very easy to blow...
Old 06-11-2018, 05:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
The proper slow blow fuses are a bit of a pain to locate. Search around the forum posts for more info...but yeah, standard fuses are very easy to blow...
I recall that the dealer for whatever reason had changed his fuse wiring and installed a new fuseholder that holds the large blade-type fuse. Those especially seem tougher to find in slow blow spec. Most jacks I've seen instead use the glass cylinder type, this is what my trailer has. I will advise him of all this. I wonder if the dealer tech wasn't up to snuff on this stuff. Thanks again.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
I recall that the dealer for whatever reason had changed his fuse wiring and installed a new fuseholder that holds the large blade-type fuse. Those especially seem tougher to find in slow blow spec. Most jacks I've seen instead use the glass cylinder type, this is what my trailer has. I will advise him of all this. I wonder if the dealer tech wasn't up to snuff on this stuff. Thanks again.
The original fuse is this.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7821335
or
Bussmann Slow Blow Fuse 30 Amp - MDL-30

If it has been changed, it could be anything. I don't think there is a slow blow 30 amp blade fuse.

If I was going to change that particular fuse to something else, it would be to a self resetting automotive breaker.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
How about the motor has a much longer and higher stall current due to the motor needed to reverse direction and overcome a lot more torque, resulting in more current? Or the switch is making before breaking.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Jack fuse blows when changing direction

Blade fuses do not have a slow blow variant. Slow blow fuses are constructed with different parts, and they only fit in glass or ceramic fine-type fuse cartridges. They have two fuse elements and a spring. One is a regular fuse, but rated somewhat higher current. The other is a metal alloy that melts in a longish time as it heats up under a partial overload. When the alloy melts, the spring pulls the element apart and breaks the circuit.

They are a bit harder to make, and not used as much, do they are fairly hard to find and not real cheap. Most electronic supply places may be more likely to have them.

Digi-key is one online example. Radio Shack, if you can find one still open, is another possibility.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Blade fuses do not have a slow blow variant. Slow blow fuses are constructed with different parts, and they only fit in glass or ceramic fine-type fuse cartridges. They have two fuse elements and a spring. One is a regular fuse, but rated somewhat higher current. The other is a metal alloy that melts in a longish time as it heats up under a partial overload. When the alloy melts, the spring pulls the element apart and breaks the circuit.

They are a bit harder to make, and not used as much, do they are fairly hard to find and not real cheap. Most electronic supply places may be more likely to have them.

Digi-key is one online example. Radio Shack, if you can find one still open, is another possibility.

Looks like this is what is needed.
https://www.electricalhub.com/littel...lo-blade-fuses
Old 06-11-2018, 11:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Hm. I stand corrected. Never saw these at the local Pep Boys or Autozone. Thatís the solution...
Old 06-12-2018, 01:10 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Or replace the fuse with an auto-resetting circuit breaker. These are naturally slow blow.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:38 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
The original fuse is this.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7821335
. . .
Our local NAPA store had the correct fuse in stock, but there was a hiccup in locating the correct box. Here is a post from an older 2016 thread -- click on orange arrow in quote to go there:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
I guess you can order online, but your NAPA store should have them IMO. The label on the end of the small box does not indicate Slow-blow, so the counter clerk did not find them right away. A search of the catalog yielded the right SKU.

http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/...335/BK_7821335

On end of small box:
782-1335...QTY
MDL-30........5
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Asking for a friend. Barker jack on a 2008, same one as on my 2014.

When lowering or raising his jack, if you switch directions BEFORE the jack motor stops turning, the fuse blows. This doesn't happen on mine--I can be lowering it, then in an instant switch to raising it, and it's fine. His blows the fuse. I'm guessing for whatever reason, the load on the motor is too much when trying to reverse the motor while it's still moving in the other direction.

Might there be a switch of some sort needing replacement? It can be managed by making sure the motor has stopped before changing the direction, but often times without thinking his wife will go to raise or lower the jack, realize it's the wrong direction, and immediately flip the switch to the opposite direction...and blow the fuse. He travels with a baggie full of spare fuses :-)
I had the same problem with the jack on my 2008. I called the manufacturer to buy a new switch and they sent me one free. I've not had the blown fuse problem since installing the new switch.

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely' - Ogden Nash
Rugger is offline   Reply With Quote