Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Jacks, Stabilizers, Lifting and Leveling
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2015, 07:11 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
If you plan it out, you can cut the chamois so you end up with the boot "laces" for the ankles still attached to each boot. Nice!

I had always been a lab or retriever person, but Phoebe woke me up to the wonders of her breed. Bred as ratters in European cities (I think), she could chase rabbits all day. One day she actually brought down a young deer in the woods, but fortunately we got to her before she went in for the kill. We went straight to the deli and got her a rare roast beef sandwich!

Amazing intelligence. She went blind from diabetes, but got very good at following voice commands on our walks, without a leash. I would keep snapping my fingers, and she would follow my lead right by my side.

Rest in Peace.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Right, so things have not gotten better.

On arrival in Austin last week, I discovered that the jack again would not extend. I got it going again by using the manual insert in the head with my power drill.

So obviously I need to book into a AS service center. But of course we are now in San Antonio on our five month trip out west, so I am going to have to make it work until then.

Aside from repeating my manual intervention, would someone be able to tell me how to remove the head for inspection?

On mine (2016 FC FB) there is a plastic cover held in place with four philips screws. Once I take that off, I see a housing, with positive and negative leads, as well as two hex screws. Do I remove the hex heads and remove this cover?

I just don't want to start and get in over my head, hence the question. Thanks!

Rich
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:44 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
We've gotten approval from Atwood for a warranty replacement of the jack. Part is on its way to Austin, hopefully we'll get it fitted and be on our way to NM by Friday.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:38 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Sorry to hear that the problem arose again. I guess you never took the thing apart in December to check on those gears? Or maybe you did and there is a new or another problem . . .

Sorry I don't have your model jack, so I am not sure how to take it apart. [PS -- edit -- what model number Atwood jack do you have?]

Maybe the owner's manual has the details? Not here that I can see:

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...ying-Cloud.pdf

There should be a manual from Atwood in your documents attache case that came with the trailer.

Good luck,

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. . .
You would still be well advised to remove the cover to the jack, and check out its operation inside, including using the manual handle to rotate things a turn or two. If you are free to do this in the calm of a nice day, it will be a good learning experience [vs. HAVING to do it in the dark under rushed conditions]. Good knowledge to have in the long run . . .

You may actually see a tooth or two on the plastic (?) gears which look suspect right away, instead of speculating about what the problem might have been. If so, you could always order the replacement gears to have on hand as back up.

Have a great trip.

Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Yup, and excellent point. I'll definitely do this when we get back to Tampa.
. . .
Old 04-03-2016, 08:35 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Peter - No, basically after I took the head cover off, I stopped because I could not see how it came apart.

But, at any rate, it is covered by warranty (Atwood's, not Airstream).
Old 04-03-2016, 09:02 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
The motor on our Atwood jack died on one of our first few trips. The dealer got a replacement and shipped it to me. It was easy to replace. You do have to remove the two hex screws after removing the plastic cover.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:42 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
My power jack was replaced under warranty today by Camper Clinic II here in Austin TX.

It took 5 business days from approval to completion. The jack arrived today from Atwood, and we had a 100PM appointment in anticipation.

The swap too about 20 minutes, and was done with the trailer connected in the parking lot. Three bolts, 12V and ground and it was done.

The new jack seems to cycle smoothly and has not hiccuped once (yet ). Knock on wood, hopefully our jack problems are behind us.

Rich
Old 04-09-2016, 10:11 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
My power jack was replaced under warranty today by Camper Clinic II here in Austin TX.

Rich
Good to hear and thanks for the update, Rich! Was the exact cause/problem ever diagnosed, so that the rest of us might learn from your experience, in case similar symptoms happen?

Have a good weekend.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 04-09-2016, 08:13 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Good to hear and thanks for the update, Rich! Was the exact cause/problem ever diagnosed, so that the rest of us might learn from your experience, in case similar symptoms happen?
Peter - Unfortunately, it was a parking lot remove/replace. The failed jack was taken back into the garage and I was on my way.