Old 06-05-2006, 06:10 PM   #1
Shiree

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Is there such thing as a trailer jack?

I'm poised to buy my first trailer (I'm so excited!), and I need to figure out how to get it in the driveway of my home where I'll be working on it this summer before I actually complete the purchase.

Is there a way to move the trailer into a final position besides the vehicle you towed it with? The area where I want to put it isn't large enough for a truck to park the trailer and then pull through, so I need to move it into position manually. What makes sense to me is to use a device like a pallet jack to move it down the driveway into position. Later in the summer, I'll need to move it back out.

Is there such a thing as a jack to move a trailer? I'm currently looking at a 25' trailer. Where would you go about renting one or contracting for someone to move your trailer? Surely I'm not the first person to have this problem!

Sorry to be such a neophyte and ask such a goofy question, but I guess that's how you learn!

Thanks,

Shiree

Old 06-05-2006, 06:18 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Powell , Ohio
Power Caster

I use a device called Power Caster for this exact situation. You can see them at www.powercaster.com. I have a PC1 for sale. I got a larger, heavier trailer and needed a PC III. I upgraded but now have no use for the old one. PM me if you want more information.

Old 06-05-2006, 06:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Another option...

We use a 16hp lawn tractor to move ours into place. We do need to put a couple of tube sand bags on the nose bumper to offset the tongue weight of the trailer and our parking spot is pretty level, but it works fine.

It was a good option for us, we bought it "previously owned" for about $400 and we can use it for other things as well.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:44 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Shari, you made me laugh out loud wondering when you discovered you needed to counterweight the nose of the tractor! Before the first hitching, I hope

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:52 PM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
We use a 16hp lawn tractor to move ours into place. We do need to put a couple of tube sand bags on the nose bumper to offset the tongue weight of the trailer and our parking spot is pretty level, but it works fine.

It was a good option for us, we bought it "previously owned" for about $400 and we can use it for other things as well.

Shari
Other things? What else would you do with a lawn tractor, besides move your Airstream?
Old 06-05-2006, 06:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Actually, Luke (ChromeHome) uses a lawn tractor too. He needed counterweight with his Caravel, so we just assumed we would too! I'm not going to test it without, that's for sure!!!

We also leave our tongue wheel on (although raised off the ground) so "just in case" we do a wheelie we won't drop the trailer. It works, may not be ideal...but for us $800-$1000 on a single use "tool" was more than we could bear ~

Shari

Old 06-05-2006, 07:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Other things? What else would you do with a lawn tractor, besides move your Airstream?
Well, our lawn areas are too small to mow with it...we actually took the mower deck off.

But, I did schlep 2 tons of flagstone in the wagon attachment from our garage off the alley in the back of the house, down around 1/2 a block to the front of our house where I built about 150lf of planter walls the last two weekends. That would have been a PITA if I had to carry the blocks one-by-one through the garage, across the back yard, up over the raised deck and across the front yard. Some of the blocks are heavy, I could barely lift them, they range from 24"x6"x4" to 42"x6"x6". And this was my project, not Mr.InsideOut's...he's building a shed.

Not that we would have gone out and bought a tractor for just that task, but it sure was nice to have and use for that as well as other landscaping things. I could load it up and make one trip around instead of 12-15 through the yard. Probably made 15 or so trips with the tractor...you do the math!

We also took the old railroad ties (PO's planter walls) from the front to the back, hauled dirt & river rock and pulled out some huge landscape rocks that were buried in the yard and moved them to other places.

Keep in mind, we tow with a Yukon, we don't have a "work truck" ~ we're city-folks!

Oh yeah, and Mr.InsideOut gave our 5 year old nephew a ride on it this weekend...made his day!

Shari

Old 06-05-2006, 07:34 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Am I Missing Something?

Umm....I may regret this post as I try not to embarress myself in front of more than one person at a time. If you can't "pull through" with the tow vehicle should I assume the coach was pulled into the driveway? (thus the t.v is now unable to get back out?) If that is the case, would backing in not be an option???

note:
Think of this as either a solution or at the very least a really good laugh! Why heck, this might be good for a couple of days !!!

suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:38 PM   #9
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by eikel1we
Umm....I may regret this post as I try not to embarress myself in front of more than one person at a time. If you can't "pull through" with the tow vehicle should I assume the coach was pulled into the driveway? (thus the t.v is now unable to get back out?) If that is the case, would backing in not be an option???
suz
Looks like the space for the trailer, is not big enough for both the trailer and a truck to occupy at the same time.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
For us it's two-fold:

1) a turning radiius issue in the alley
2) the orientation of the trailer in the yard, the door faces the fence when we back in instead of the yard...

Maybe the same for Alluminatrix ~

Shari

Old 06-05-2006, 10:12 PM   #11
Shiree

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
For us it's two-fold:

1) a turning radiius issue in the alley
2) the orientation of the trailer in the yard, the door faces the fence when we back in instead of the yard...

Maybe the same for Alluminatrix ~

Shari

Shari hit the nail on the head! At my site, I'll have a bit of problem with the initial turning radius (including exit strategy problems for a tow vehicle), but if we back it in, the door is on the wrong side (facing the fence). The Power Caster is just what I need to do the job, but if I can't find one to borrow/rent, I'll look into a lawn tractor too! Thanks for your input, everyone!

Shiree