Old 01-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Normandy Park , Washington
Intermittent electric jack

I have a old Reese jack that takes several on/off attempts to actually turn on. It eventually works but sometimes takes 10 or so attempts. What is the most likely cause, a loose wire in the head unit or the rats nest wiring in the A frame just underneath it which I assume is where it is all connected?

Thanks
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-758119769.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	581.2 KB
ID:	202709   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-187576833.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	529.8 KB
ID:	202710  

Old 01-01-2014, 02:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
It has been my experience it is the switch. Especially on the "up" side of it which carries more current when operating. One thing you can do to check it is take the switch out, and reverse the wires going into it. That will make the intermittent on the down side and confirm it is the switch.

Then, you can simply replace the switch, and when this happens to me, I usually buy two switches so I have a spare for the next time it gives me trouble.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #3
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
star washer

Our jack became intermittent a year or two into traveling, and sometimes we would also see a spark flash from the jack flange on the a-frame. Demounted the jack and was surprised there was no star washer between the flange and the trailer. Our jack is supplied with a single 10awg wire from the battery, fused near the jack motor.

There is no ground wire. The star washer, one only per jack mfr, is intended to dig into the flange and the a-frame and provide ground connection for the jack motor.

I submit the 10awg wire should also be fused near the battery(ies). Our Airstream was installed with a weather-resistant fuse holder near the motor. The feed wire goes down the post, under the propane bottles, through a grommet into the battery box. No fuse protection for the wire length despite plenty of exposure to incidental damage to the insulation.

We bought a 12vdc 30a self-resetting circuit breaker for $5, installed it inside the battery box, connected the feed wire to it.

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Those Reese jacks were great and virtually bulletproof, in my experience. Fast, quiet, and powerful. I sure wish they still made them. The one on my Argosy is probably 30 years old and still going strong.

But, could be the switch, or the ground, or the fuse, or the wiring as mentioned above. It simply will take some sleuthing and testing to find where the actual problem is occurring. However, the very last place I would suspect is in the motor itself.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
I have just discovered this issue as well. Looking at another thread I have
Checked for voltage on the jack side of the fuse, checks OK
Pulled the switch and checked for continuity between terminals and (I think) they are OK.
Checked for voltage on the spades and I read 3v-5v reducing to zero if I activate the switch. The brown copper wires on back of switch all show good voltage.
EDIT: Additionally, when I operate the switch and I am plugged into one vehicle, the reversing lights come on, the other vehicle they do not????

Replace switch?

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:21 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Normandy Park , Washington
RV shop replaced the switch, seems to work fine now.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:42 AM   #7
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
It's not the switch on mine. Possibly the brushes. Thats the last thing to check/change then its out to buy another.

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:47 AM   #8
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
On mine it was the two batteries around the winding that have come unglued from the wall of the casing. I glued them up last night and will check today.
While I have it apart, I am going to replace the brushes too.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:05 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
We had the same issue with our Barker jack. I called them to order a replacement switch. They send me a replacement for FREE, and the jack is 7 years old. That is great support and customer service. They have my business.

Damon
Old 05-22-2014, 07:06 AM   #10
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
OK, its put back together and is not going to work. Just wont lift, screeches pretty bad when trying. Drops OK, but thats to be expected.
I did think I might have glued the magnets back in with the wrong orientation (not sure if thats a thing or not) but looks like I did that right.
Need another Jack then.