Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Installing new BAL stabilizers

I'm considering installing BAL stabilizer jacks on our '71 Safari. The jacks that are specific for Airstream trailers with the long shaft. We have the portable stabilizer jacks, but I'd like to install the BAL stabilizer jacks on our trailer. As far as I can tell our Safari has never had the jacks attached to it, so I'll be doing a new installation.

What's the best way to do this? Is this a dumb idea? Do I need to install 4 or just 2 in the back?

As always, thanks for your help!
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I think this would be a reasonable project for an experienced home DIY-er. You'll need an electric hand drill - not battery. And maybe a 3/8" socket with a drive adapter for your drill. (any good hardware store or Home Despot has the latter)

Do they ship them with the hex head self tapping screws? I just looked at my '74 Argosy stabilizers. The screws are about 3/16" and an inch long and are used with a toothed lock washer. Knowing me, I might predrill a hole with a twist drill if the self tapping screw did not bite well. The stabilizers are heavy -- you'll want to make a cardboard template to mark screw hole locations.

You definitely want 4 stabilizers. Two at the rear and the tongue jack wouldn't be enough -- you'd tend to put too much weight-bearing on the rear stabilizers. And I don't think the tongue jack would take all the rocking very well -- an extended tongue jack would be quite the crowbar! The normal installation is four. When in transit we'll pull into some campgrounds and stay hitched to the truck if the pad is level enough. It definitely rocks too much with the tongue jack down and the BAL stabilizers left up. You are headed in the right direction!

The T-shaped base of the BAL requires two holes 9" apart on the main front-to-back frame. The hole at the bottom of the T is 22" away and intended to screw into the crossways frame member -- I seem to recall it is the main frame part that crosses where the dome ends meet the straight sides. You'll see rivet lines in the belly wrap showing the location the frame structure.

[on edit: get some very good eye protectors before attempting this. ]

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Bob,

Thanks very much for your assist. I'm not sure what type of attachment screws/bolts the stabilizers are shipped with, but I'll find out when they arrive. I'll order 4 of the stabilizers then check back in once I have them in hand.

My initial very short list of things I wanted to add/change on our Safari seems to increase daily...
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote