Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
HiGhlands Ranch , Rockies
Importance of leveling

Newbie here. I wanted to get some insight into the benefits of leveling the unit and what the tolerances are. Can you also share where the places to take a level measurement are.

Many thanks!!
Coloradoair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Your ridge requires the trailer to be close to level for it to function (cool) properly. Tanks need to be sloped towards the drains when you need to empty - they have the proper slope when the trailer is level to allow the waste to exit through the dunp valve. Cooking is nice when the liquids sit well in the pots and pans and don't slop over to one edge. Then there are the less obvious stuff - stress on the trailer frame and axle when out of level for long periods of time with the tanks full and the added people weight - but that is just speculation.

Check level with a magnetic 12 inch carpenters level on the frame exposed at the front - or I use one inside on the floor and check in both directions when I think I am close. the levels are cheap from Walmart or any hardware store.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I use a carpenter's level too. I put it on the front frame rails and in the center of the rear bumper. I haven't used leveling blocks or anything like that. Usually, I park the trailer fairly level, side to side and the tongue jack will take care of the front to rear level. I recheck after putting down my stabilizers because it can change the level of the trailer, especially if you crank down on them too much. [ I usually crank them down until they hit the ground fairly solid, them give them 1/2 turn more ] The refrigerator needs to be close to level, but not exactly level like the old models. I very seldom boondock, so most places are pretty level to begin with.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I have never used a level when placing my trailer. My eye has been close enough and if it is off just walking in the trailer will let you know it.

Yes the Freg. has to be close and you can get an indication of how close by looking at the return lines of the heat exchanger on the back of the freg. The coolant as a liquid has to flow in the return lines and you will react walking around inside long before you reach that limit. If you do use a level the kitchen counter top is as good as you will need.

A more important consideration is the position of the trailer while in storage. The trailer want to be Parallel to the ground to insure equal load on the axles. Airstream uses an axle that is not self compensating as most other trailer and if stored not Parallel to the ground the trailer is sitting on the axles can take a set.

The waste tanks bottoms have a slant to they that dips towards the sewer drain and in most cases will insure complete drainage of the tanks.

Just step back and think this one out before going to extremes.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
I find that if I leave it a couple inches high in the front, it doesn't take her as along to bring me another cold one.

Honest, I was joking and I just couldn't help myself. ;>)
Gator113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Sleeping in non level trailer can be an interesting experience. I hate waking up pinched between the SO and the wall after we've migrated across the bed overnight With lynx blocks and a few decking boards we usually don't have major problems getting the rig spot on level. We at least try to get to a 1/16 bubble if the terrain is challenging.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #7
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
In more interesting locations, leveling is sometime essential. A few 2x6s of varying lengths will usually do the trick...

- Bart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_5373.jpg
Views:	2023
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	103922  
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I have a Level Master I think its called. It is screwed directly onto the trailer on the nose below the front window. I notice the 4 screw holes there when I purchase the trailer and until I saw a friends Trailer that has a LEVELMASTER I didnt know what those holes were for.
I also used a 2 ft on top of the stove or sink for lateral and a 6ft masons level on the floor to get front to rear level. I need neither now that I have the LEVEL MASTER.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
a fun tip; if you dont have a level handy - grab anything round and put it on the floor , see where it rolls. a tin can, roll of tape, spray paint, you get the idea. i guess this wont work so well on carpet though.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #10
My Grandparents Airstream

2007 28' Safari SE
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Selking
I use a level and blocks to level from side to side. Them we open the bathroom door and when it stays open in the hallway we know we are level front to back.
WBCCI #6062
International 3rd Vice President

"Airstream the Best trailer ever built."
Andrew Selking is offline   Reply With Quote