Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2019, 03:54 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Happy Valley , Pennsylvania
Husky tongue jack question??

Just received my Husky Super Brute 5000 after some research on the forums. Before I even open the box, can anyone please tell me if the head can be rotated or not? I am not interested in drilling new holes..
My TV is an 2008 Tundra and I need the clearance for the tailgate. I currently have the original jack on my 2008 International and would like more torque when lifting the rear of my vehicle to attach the weight distribution bars.
If the Husky head does not rotate, I will take suggestions on another tongue jack that has 4-5K of torque that does have a rotating head?

Thank You!
malinois38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
When I was doing my research I saw some other posts that said NO. I just installed one and I cannot see how you would rotate the head. I saw a reference to someone drilling new holes.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:38 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Kansas City , Kansas
I have the same jack. Works great but I too have tailgate clearance issues. Did not see any apparent way to clock the motor housing 180 degrees. It might look kind of funny but I am considering rotating the whole thing 120 degrees so that there is no need to drill new holes.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsRiveting View Post
It might look kind of funny but I am considering rotating the whole thing 120 degrees so that there is no need to drill new holes.
The problem with 120 degrees is the head will hit the propane tank cover, at least on mine.
I suggest we nominate the inventor for a Nobel if he changes the standard to 4 bolts from three!
OR, manufacturers pre-drill their flanges for both orientations, in other words, six holes.
Although I think Airstream is unique in that the space from coupler to jack is minuscule.

A word of warning. DO NOT open the head looking for some set screws. Although the cover is attached with three Phillips screws, there's a tiny bead of silicone to seal it which will be ruined. Then when you look inside, it's so packed with circuit boards, you can't even see where the power comes in, let alone any mounting.

This is where the Pro-Pride hitch people can gloat. Their hitches are so complex, they gain about a foot of clearance.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
We won’t rub it in, Mollysdad [emoji3]

Aren’t their other brands than Husky that do 5000#?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Etailer.com has Stromberg Carlson 5,000# electric jacks. Not sure if they are any different, but etailer has good technical support. Call 800-298-8924.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Etailer.com has Stromberg Carlson 5,000# electric jacks. Not sure if they are any different, but etailer has good technical support. Call 800-298-8924.
I downloaded the manual, but couldn't tell if the head could be rotated. It wasn't mentioned.
Maybe someone has one, it looks like a good option.

UPDATE: From e-trailer's FAQ,

Can the Head of Electric Trailer Jack JET-5000 be Rotated

Question:
I must rotate the head of the Jet 5000 jack 90 degrees. Is that possible?
asked by: Don H

Helpful Expert Reply:
It sounds like you need a little more space. While there isn't a way to turn the head on trailer jack # JET-5000 you might be able to turn the whole jack since it has slotted mounting holes. That is the first thing to try.

If that isn't going to work for you and the issue is there isn't enough space between the jack head and a lowered tailgate on a truck then the easiest solution is to use a longer ball mount. We have a lot of ball mounts depending on the capacity and rise/drop needed to tow the trailer level. I have included a link to our ball mount main page for you.

helpful expert reply by: Michael H
Old 05-16-2019, 10:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Husky tongue jack question

Not sure I understand. I had Husky Brute 5000 on my 2015 FC 28 and tailgate on my 2015 Chevy 2500HD cleared with rule to spare. I just received a new one for my 2018 Classic 33 and will be installing shortly. My friend installed one on his 2018 Classic 30 and it cleared his GMC Denali 3500 fine. No need at all to rotate. FYI, I use Equalizer WD hitch. Am I missing something?
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:44 AM   #9

Acworth , Georgia
Hey guys, look at this one.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jac...tml?etam=a0001
dtatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:46 AM   #10

Acworth , Georgia
Look at this brand the heads aren't as big and supposedly the fastest up and down.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jac...tml?etam=a0001
dtatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:53 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
I have a husky 5000 on my AS. I am using a BO hitch on a 2015 GMC Sierra. With this setup my tailgate opens without interference unless truck and AS are in a turn. Not sure about hitch setup but as others have said you may be able to use a longer ball mount.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:45 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
I have the Husky Brute 5000. I couldn't open my tailgate either so I bought a 12" shank for my Equal-i-zer hitch. Works great.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
Not sure I understand. I had Husky Brute 5000 on my 2015 FC 28 and tailgate on my 2015 Chevy 2500HD cleared with rule to spare. I just received a new one for my 2018 Classic 33 and will be installing shortly. My friend installed one on his 2018 Classic 30 and it cleared his GMC Denali 3500 fine. No need at all to rotate. FYI, I use Equalizer WD hitch. Am I missing something?
I have a Tundra and the tailgate hits the Husky about half way down.
I'm not sure exactly why, I'm assuming the Tundra has a deeper bed than a Chevy, thus a taller tailgate.
BTW, if I were to put a straightedge across the bed, it measures 23.5" to the floor. That's good for storage, since a Honda generator fits easily under the hard tonneau, but it's bad for clearance.
Yes, I have an Equalizer also, with the standard shank.
Looking at it, you'd think it sticks out enough, but it doesn't.

From the GM website:
Quote:
2019 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Truck Bed Dimensions
The dimensions of the standard box on these models are 78.86 inches in length, 51.02 inches in width and 21.22 inches in height
There it is!
Old 05-16-2019, 12:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by malinois38 View Post
I will take suggestions on another tongue jack that has 4-5K of torque that does have a rotating head?

Thank You!
We've had this one for over 2 years now and it works great. It's also faster than what came with our trailer. It is rated for 4,000 pounds. It has extra holes drilled into it which makes it easy to rotate 90 degrees, which is what I did to have extra clearance for the tailgate. With a standard Equal-i-zer shank the tailgate clears when the rig is at least mostly straight. The other thing I like about it is that it has connections for both the positive and negative battery terminals - no more need to rely on it grounding to the frame.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-16-2019, 07:39 PM   #15

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Husky tongue jack question??

Here's a picture of my Husky Brute 5000 on my Classic. One other clearance issue you need to be aware of is the manual crank. If you are ever required to use it, it fits on top of the head. There is a plug in the top that you pull out and then insert the crank into the hole. Nice that unlike the Super Jack, you have no issue with having to resync the gears or pull off the head. The bad side on my trailer is that first, you have to pull the gas bottle cover off and then pull the tanks back to get enough clearance to turn a very big crank handle.

Love the jack though and I feel very good about my selection of this product. The biggest advantage of this jack is that it uses a screw and ball method of raising and lowering the jack. Much more reliable than the geared method and truly is the concept used by heavy lifting jacks used in commercial businesses.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2973.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	369.0 KB
ID:	340913  
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:52 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Happy Valley , Pennsylvania
Thank you for all the great responses. Now, I have a confession to make. I thought I would be drilling holes into the A/S frame, not the base of the new jack With this new information, I think I can handle drilling a few holes into the base of the new Husky. BTW, I use a Reese straight line hitch with 800lb trunnions.
A couple of you mentioned extending the ball shank. I would never do that for several reasons. I am a firm believer in having the ball as close as I can to the rear axle (Andy Thompson). I also spent too much time dialing in my hitch at the CAT scales to mess with it. I once put the shank in the wrong hole and inadvertently extended the ball for a short trip. Wow, I felt a world of difference with only approx. 2” difference in ball length.
Thanks again for the information. I will report back after completion with some pictures. Excited for my first trip out next week for Memorial Day. Then off to the New England Coast for a lengthy summer trip.
malinois38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:56 PM   #17
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
Does anyone know if the barker jack hand crank also fit the husky brute tongue jack?
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:19 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Husky

Barker crank does not fit
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:19 AM   #19
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
DeltaRon -
Thanks for the info. I guess I’ll have a few Barker cranks when I install the new Brute.

I thought maybe that sort of item might be industry standardized. 🤷*♂️
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:35 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
It has extra holes drilled into it which makes it easy to rotate 90 degrees, which is what I did to have extra clearance for the tailgate. With a standard Equal-i-zer shank the tailgate clears when the rig is at least mostly straight.
I watched the e-trailer video on the Phoenix jack, and the sales guy said the extra holes were if your bolts pattern was different. I think he was mistaken, all jacks use a 3/8" x 16 thread on 3" centers. I think the manufacturers added the holes to make turning it easier!! Brilliant. I also agree the two wires are a good solution to the grounding issue.
But, in my mind, the extra holes didn't look spaced for a 90 deg. rotation. Is that what you did?
120 degrees (spacing) - 90 degrees (rotate) = 30 degrees off of the existing holes. Maybe they are 30 degrees different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malinois38 View Post
I have a confession to make. I thought I would be drilling holes into the A/S frame, not the base of the new jack
Winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
If you are ever required to use it, it fits on top of the head. There is a plug in the top that you pull out and then insert the crank into the hole. The bad side on my trailer is that first, you have to pull the gas bottle cover off and then pull the tanks back to get enough clearance to turn a very big crank handle.
... AND, there's another plug on the street side where you insert a small tool to release the brakes! So turning the head will put that plug against the tank cover anyway!
I'll have to look at my crank to see if I could adapt a socket wrench with an extension so it would clear the propane tank cover. Some jacks use a hex bolt head and that makes it easy.