Old 05-07-2019, 11:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Husky Super Brute 5000 problem reversing

I am having a problem with a new Husky 5000 that I just installed on the tongue. I removed the hardware, ground off coatings and paint, added dielectric grease, to all of the attachment points, and reconnected. So I am convinced it is not grounding. I am getting good voltage from the battery plus to the mounting plate.
When I operate the jack, it runs just fine in the direction selected. Plenty of speed, no sluggishness. But, I stop the jack and try to reverse direction, it clicks but does not run. Even if I wait 15-30 seconds. But, if I trip the supply breaker(I have this on a thermal breaker) and reset it, the jack will run in the other direction just fine. But again, it will not reverse. It does not matter which direction you pick first. So, I have ruled out grounding, the switch, the breaker, and even the motor. It is like having to reboot a computer to get it to reverse direction. Any help out there? The factory support has been no help. To them it is either grounding or voltage and neither of those are a problem. Thanks
Larry

lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
I'm not sure what would cause that problem, but is it new enough that you can return it for a replacement?

Old 05-07-2019, 12:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Yes, the problem is that I have a rally next week and this is mounted to the trailer. If it is a simple fix, I'd like to do it. Otherwise I will have it replaced when I get back. Amazon gives me 30 days.
Larry
Old 05-07-2019, 01:04 PM   #4
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Contact husky tech support.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

I did, no help. I am going to replace it
Larry
Old 05-08-2019, 11:14 AM   #6
WBCCI # 23456

2000 30' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Hold off on replacement. I had exactly the same problem. It wasn't the grounding, I didn't have a good positive cable connection. I fixed that and all is well.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Already returned, new jack will be here Friday. My positive connection is solid, ring connector to my Blue Sea breaker. Worked fine on the previous jack. DC bus feeds the breaker directly, also with a bolted ring terminal. I just cannot understand why tripping and resetting the power breaker would "solve" the problem, even if it happened to be a wonky power feed.
Larry
Old 05-08-2019, 09:50 PM   #8
Classy Roscoe

2017 30' Classic
1969 31' Sovereign
Kerrville , Texas
Is it possible that the brushes in the motor has an issue. One set of brushes were not spring’d correctly.

In one direction the current flow was proper and the motor turned fine. When you changed polarity ( reversed the + and - poles) the motor loaded and killed the therm switch.

Once cooled the overheated shorted to case brushes relaxed from the shorted condition and worked.

Rinse/ repeat the other direction, same failure.

My vote is you had a crapped out motor from the start.

Could have been a crappy bearing on the brush end of the motor in association.

Hope you make your trip.
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Thanks. Strangely, I never saw any evidence that the therm switch had tripped. Blue Sea tells me the flag should have tripped if the breaker tripped, but I suppose it is possible that did not happen. It is the most logical explanation so far. New jack should be here tomorrow. Another possibility I am exploring is whether this is a result of my electrical conversion to Lithium. The jack is powered from my Orion, which provides isolate 12vdc to my DC bus. I was initially concerned about that because it is rated for 30 amps, but the old jack performed fine with that arrangement. I am hoping it was a new jack defect, perhaps even with their Smart Stop technology and the breaker reset was needed to reset the Smart Stop. Unfortunately, I can find no documentation of how Smart Stop works and their tech support has very limited knowledge.
Larry
Old 05-11-2019, 05:56 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Problem Solved!

Returned the jack and replaced it with a new Husky Super Brute 4000, connected exactly as before. Works like a charm! Sort of worth the aggravation as I really did not want a jack that has a remote receiver that stays powered up, which I did not realize until after I had the jack installed.
Larry
Old 05-11-2019, 06:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Contact husky tech support.
Yes!
I had a problem with my new install. I called Husky customer service and a wonderful lady said, "Sounds defective, I'm sending you a new one today, just return the old one when you get a chance, I'll e-mail you a free shipping label." In a couple days I had a shiny new one.
Husky stands behind their jacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I really did not want a jack that has a remote receiver that stays powered up
It's powered up like your home TV is powered up because it's waiting for instructions from the remote.
I don't know how long it takes to run down the batteries, but those who have a battery disconnect, it's no issue.

I was in the camp of thinking the remote was a gimmick until I had one. Now I sit in the AS and level it front to back. (word of warning, don't leave the remote in your pocket. Even though it has a cover, it can be jostled and move. Don't ask how I know.)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:02 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Yeah, well as I said in my initial post, Husky tech support had to first tell me it was the ground or voltage. But they did agree to replace the jack. Since I bought it from Amazon, I returned it to Amazon..very easy. I bought one without the remote and hope to just be a happy camper.
Larry