Old 06-09-2008, 06:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
How to properly set a trailer for extended time

I'm a new owner of a 70 31' land yacht. It has currently been sitting on the tires and tongue for 1.5 years. The tires were new when it was parked. I don't plan on moving the unit for at least another 1.5 years. Any sense in taking the weight off the tires? I've read a bunch on this forum and can't find an answer regarding how to treat the torque axles for long-term parking. My original thought was to raise the trailer until the load is off the tires but that they're still touching the ground. THe purpose was to keep the tires from flat-spotting.
I was going to use automotive style jack stands to support the trailer and use a hydraulic floor jack to raise it. I will purchase covers for the tires.
Thanks, Charles Rahm, Dallas, Texas

Old 06-09-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
How old are the tires? Were they new 1 1/2 years ago when you parked it? You can check the date code on the tires and they might be older then you think. You may just want to get new tires when you are ready to move the trailer.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Welcome to the forums!

I would say the best way would be to store is as it sits, and plan on at least new tires when you are ready to move it. The axels are made to support the weight of the trailer, moving or not.

Due to the nature of the rubber material captained within the axle, they seem to be a somewhat consumable product. I have replaced the axles on my AS, and have noted an improvement in ride. Witnessed by the fact things tend to remain where we put them during motion, unlike before the swap.

You will find lots of info on how to best determine the status of axles with a search.

Good Luck with what you choose!
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I would recommend taking the weight off of the tires and axles, mainly so the axles don't develop a "set". Pressure in one spot with no movement is hard on the torsion rubber.
Don't jack on the axle tube, you can reportedly bend them, thus putting your wheels out of alignment.
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:18 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
what height is the trailer?

Thanks for the help.
Another question - I'm going out this afternoon (5 hours west) and have decided to raise the trailer just to slightly take the load off the tires and axles and level the trailer. I have an assortment of jack stands to take and I'm trying to figure out which ones to take and if I need booster bases.
Approximately how high off the ground are the jack stand mounting positions on the trailer?
Many Thanks,
Charles Rahm, Dallas, Texas
Old 06-20-2008, 07:30 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Welcome to the AirForums, Charles!

Just a guess, but the hitch height of your trailer was probably 18" or so, the ball height is a couple inches above the bottom of the frame. So on level ground, the highest area of the trailer where you'd put a jack might be 16". The axles on a '70 would be pretty sagged out unless they've been replaced, so probably count on less than that. And really, if it's a '70 with original axles, they're probably past their useful life and it really doesn't matter at this point what you do. Just make the trailer level and stable is fine. You'll find many excellent references on how to tell if your axles are OK or not.

Good luck with your new trailer!
WBCCI/VAC #8481
AIR #9
W9CDC
.-- ----. -.-. -.. -.-.
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:11 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasrahm View Post
Thanks for the help.
Another question - I'm going out this afternoon (5 hours west) and have decided to raise the trailer just to slightly take the load off the tires and axles and level the trailer. I have an assortment of jack stands to take and I'm trying to figure out which ones to take and if I need booster bases.
Approximately how high off the ground are the jack stand mounting positions on the trailer?
Many Thanks,
Charles Rahm, Dallas, Texas
If you are going to take the load off the tires the rear jack stands should be placed on the axle mounting plate just behind the wheels (at least that is my understanding). The clearance there on mine is 15" now - 11" before I installed my new axles and wheels which raised my TT 4" approx.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:40 AM   #8

1973 Argosy 24
Albert Lea , Minnesota
I just got hooked up to this website--looks great. We have a 1973 Argosy 24' all orginal (excellent condition) that we are putting on a permenent site for the first time. All I have for support are the orginal screw like jacks that go on the back and front. Should I purchase something different? I'm a little confused with all the axle weight chat. Not sure what I should be doing. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks. Jean
Old 07-06-2009, 09:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
I was told recently by a guy at a rally, with newer axles, that ANY time he has his AS parked for a while, he jacks it up to get the weight off of the torsion axles. Are there a lot of you doing this? Is this actually recommended by the axle manufacturers, or Airstream Inc.? Will it really extend the useful life of these axles?
Old 07-06-2009, 10:57 AM   #10
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Off 'em!

I am...I take them off every Winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007 WINTERIZE 007.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	440.2 KB
ID:	83488  

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote