Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2006, 04:40 PM   #1
Rot-Roo Rastro!!

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Exclamation How Much Weight Will The Tongue Hold??

I have a flat tire. I have two jacks at the correct postion behind the tires. Can I use the tongue jack to lift the trailer to change out the tire? It seems like alot of weight for my electric jack to lift. I do not want to damage it. If it is able to hold the weight I will start using this set up during storage to keep most of the weight off the tires.
Thank You,
Astro
silversled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:26 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro
I have a flat tire. I have two jacks at the correct postion behind the tires. Can I use the tongue jack to lift the trailer to change out the tire? It seems like alot of weight for my electric jack to lift. I do not want to damage it. If it is able to hold the weight I will start using this set up during storage to keep most of the weight off the tires.
Thank You,
Astro
The best way to change out a tire on a multi-axle Airstream, is to place 2x6's in front of the tire that is not flat on the same sid the flat is on. Use the tow vehicle to pull the coach up onto the 2x6's until the flat tire is off the ground. Remove and replace the tire. Back the coach off the lumber, and drive away.
As far as storing the coach for the winter, putting some weight on the stabilizers to take some off the axles is a good idea. Just don't use them to lift the coach, as I have seen them break by doing this.
The tongue jack should be rated at least 1000 pounds, but that is straight up and down, not at an angle. When you start tilting things off center, all bets are off as far as weight ratings.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
The modern electric jacks are very beefy. I just installed my Equal-i-zer today and the jack had BOTH rear wheels of my Sprinter off the ground while trying to align the bars the first time. It was a lot of weight and it didn't even groan!! I was amazed to say the least!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 06:48 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You know, I went out and looked at my old (non-power) jack last night, and it has the weight capacity stamped on a mounting ear. In this case, it was 2500 pounds.