Old 11-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Colo Spgs , & Tucson
How much jack do I need for a 3000lb trailer?

I'm getting tired of using the hand crank on my 22' vintage AS. It works fine, but is a tad time consuming to crank all the way up or down, so I am planning to replace it with a powered jack.

I see from other posts that folks are usng 3500lb jacks for 27+ foot trailers, so am thinking I may be able to get away with a lighter weight jack for my lightweight Safari. As the GVW is ~2900lb dry and ~3500 loaded, how much jack do I need? There seems to be quite a difference in cost between a 2500lb and a 3500lb jack, so I'd like to install a 2500 (or 3000lb if necessary) rather than spend $300 for a 3500lb jack that is way more than I need.

All thoughts and opinions appreciated...

Old 11-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Check your current jack and see what the shaft diameter is. It should be either 2 or 2 1/4 inch. That will be one of the main determining factors. You want to make sure that you get a jack that will fit without major surgery to your trailer.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The jack capacity has to do with the tongue weight of the trailer, not the total weight of it. In theory, even a 1500# capacity jack is enough for any AS, but in practice those numbers are pretty iffy. The real low lifting capacity units are pretty marginally made from what I have seen. You also may be using it to lift the rear of the TV to hook up chain bars and that requires more lifting capacity than the simple tongue weight would indicate.

That said, probably I would buy a 2500 # capacity jack. BTW, some are bog slow to raise and lower, and there is no way to predict that without using one just like the one you wish to buy. More lifting capacity does not mean faster either. If possible, and you are buying locally, see if they have one on a rig you could try out. Listen for how it sounds.. is it smooth, does it grind, click, clack and clunk, how fast does it go.

And lastly, unfortunately the models and where they are made has changed a lot in recent years due to financial pressure. So, advice from others about their jack may or may not get you the same jack today. A good dealer can help you out here, ask about how many have been returned, and what they think of the unit. With luck you may get some good honest answers as to what is a good one today vs. ones they are not happy with.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Don't forget that if you use the jack to raise the trailer attached to the tow vehicle to ease hooking up the weight distribution bars, that you will be raising up the back of the tow vehicle and the trailer. I would go for the higher rated jack.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Colo Spgs , & Tucson
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF
Check your current jack and see what the shaft diameter is. It should be either 2 or 2 1/4 inch. That will be one of the main determining factors. You want to make sure that you get a jack that will fit without major surgery to your trailer.
Good advice! Mine is 2-inch, so I'll be sure to look for one that is same size/plug'n'play
Old 11-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Colo Spgs , & Tucson
Just discovered under several decades of "patina" that the manual crank jack on there now is rated for only 1000lbs (!), so I guess I really can't go wrong with any of the powered jacks I have seen for sale.

BTW, my TV has self-levelling rear suspension, so any jack capacity should be OK to handle the relatively light WD hitch pressure that I use.