Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Jacks, Stabilizers, Lifting and Leveling
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2018, 05:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Hitch Jack Outer Diameter for 1979 Argosy

About to pick up a 1979 30 ft Argosy this weekend. It's currently 1000 miles away and want to arrive prepared for all eventualities, including that the electric hitch jack doesn't work. Can someone tell me the outer diameter for the Hitch Jack? They started using 2.25 inch outer diameter tubes sometime in the past, but I need to know if the 1979 Argosys used the older 2 inch or the new 2.25 inch outer tubes. They are not compatible, as I have found in the past.

Thank in advance.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:07 PM   #2
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2 View Post
About to pick up a 1979 30 ft Argosy this weekend.

It's currently 1000 miles away and want to arrive prepared for all eventualities, including that the electric hitch jack doesn't work.

Can someone tell me the outer diameter for the Hitch Jack? They started using 2.25 inch outer diameter tubes sometime in the past, but I need to know if the 1979 Argosys used the older 2 inch or the new 2.25 inch outer tubes. They are not compatible, as I have found in the past.
I do not have your answer.

In addition, the goal of being prepared for ALL eventualities, in my opinion is un-realistic. Dealing with the unknown is in it's self an issue because .... it is ..... well, you know, unknown.

With that said, traveling at distance to pick up a trailer is hours of boredom with the excitement of 20 to 40 minutes of connecting the trailer and leaving. If the tongue jack is manual, hopefully it isn't bend bad. If it is an electric jack that can be exciting. I have a portable jack with a bunch of scrap wood that I bring every time. (among other things) I know it works because I brought it to the event. The trailer is an unknown.

The trailer ('66 Overlander) that I did pick up that was over 1000 miles away was moved from some storage site to my TV using a farm tractor. After I arrived at the seller's place. The tractor operator dropped the tongue on a cut tree trunk. I lifted it with my jack, knocked away the tree trunk and slid the TV under the hitch. That Overlander with a dead battery had a power jack that was retracted. I believe the tube was 2". I discovered the jack worked when a good battery was connected. However when I picked up the trailer, all I wanted to do was get connected and get gone. I had a fair piece of driving ahead of me.

The best you want is to be able to retract that jack. As long as most of the lights and brakes work, you can deal the rest when you get home.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 09-12-2018, 06:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
76 AS has sleeve in jack mounting plate for 3inch, just knock out and then can use 2.5 inch jack, takes little work but well worth it and all mounting holes same.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Matters not. If jack is stuck in down or up position, use a bottle jack on some boards to get the hitch on the ball. Remove the jack mounting bolts, set it aside.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
For everyone following along at home, the hitch jack diameter is 2 and 1/4"

So the existing power jack worked when I hooked it up to a fresh battery - the connection from the trailer itself would not work. Then after I hooked up and pulled it up, the foot wouldn't come loose, and when I knocked it with a hammer the extension broke loose and wouldn't come up, at all. I then pulled out my cordless impact wrench and took it off.

We drove to the closest Tractor Supply and bought a manual jack. Which was very fortunate, because I discovered we had a stuck brake and super hot wheel. We had to drop it at the local RV dealer (on a Saturday afternoon) to get them fixed (The 1000 mile statement was wrong, it's 365 miles, one way. Don't know why I typed that.)

It is now home and the cleaning has commenced. A full thread on the Argo will commence shortly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Argopro.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	325616  

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote