Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Jacks, Stabilizers, Lifting and Leveling
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2016, 07:52 AM   #1

Ft worth , Texas
Help electric jack will go down but not up!!

I bought a used 2015 25 int'l signature and paid to do the warranty transfer haven't received any paperwork back yet and my jack is not working!
I was able to hook up the trailer manually(FUN) but am wondering if this is a simple fix?? Or a warrantied item??
If any of you have any information you'd like to share i would greatly appreciate it!!

Jack is a Leverrite hi-power 3000

thanks
Stephanie
Slid2astop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:16 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
LaMarque , Texas
Good morning. Welcome to the AS life and sorry to hear about your problems. I have the very same Jack on my 2014 FC 25. I have not had any issues with mine. The problem might be its been in the same position a long time and just needs a little exercise. You can move it manually in either direction with your hand crank. Maybe moving it up and down a few times with help. Or loosen up some of the parts. Can't hurt. Good luck. Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums silver bp
silverbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I am assuming you mean the jack will lower the trailer tongue but not raise it. My first question is did you retract the jack ALL the way to the stops and possibly jam it.

Try to lower it more. if the jack will move during this test you are not against the stop. If the motor works during this test but still will not move to raise the tongue the first assumption would be a bad switch. That is not an easy job to fix unless you have some electrical knowledge.

Each jack comes with a manual crank handle. If you find it try moving the jack a few turns with the crank. Once moved try the electric again, you nay have just hit a dead spot in the motor. Also you can use it to raise the tongue until you get the jack fixed.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
First guess - bad switch - I imagine all it does is to reverse the polarity for up /down.

Never really messed with mine though. I have had jacks fail completely on two trailers even though they seemed to have power at the incoming wire.

In that case I initially suspected the switch, but it turned out to be badly corroded ground connections for both jacks. The had good enough contact that I would get a correct voltage meter reading at the jack when not under load, but teh ground connections were not adequate to carry enough current to operate the jack. A very simole fix - clean teh ground connections!

Doesn't sound as though that is your problem though, I would be more likely to suspect an operating switch problem of a limit switch problem.

Did you try manually cranking the jack both up and down to see if it is maybe a mechanical problem rather than electrical?

Hope it turns out to be an easy fix! ........... Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:35 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2024 27' Globetrotter
Aloha , Oregon
Bad switch is my guess too - Happened to our 2015 International. First trip out this year, got to the campsite and the switch almost burned my hand when I touched it. Did work though to get unhooked. But when we left a day later the switch would only work for down, but not up. Used the hand-crank (good thing it comes with one!).

Stopped by NW Adventures in Portland on way home and they swapped out the switch in a few minutes. It was noticeably rusty on the back of the switch - not too weather resistant. We Keep the jack & switch covered now with heavy duty plastic garbage bag to protect from rain. Does rain here on occasion. ;-)

Gary
garybair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
My 23 FB FC has a Barker jack that stopped working within 3 months due to a bad switch. I ordered on while on the road and had it delivered to my next stop. I took photos before disassembly and the reassembly was easy. I now keep my jack head covered when in storage. Manual crank works ok - but any trouble with WD hitch slignment while hitching or unhitching quickly gets old!
Old 04-25-2016, 11:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
I am not sure about the electrical connections on the newer jacks but on my '85 Sovereign, my jack would not go down just up. Problem was a micro switch for the down motion. Mine has 2 micro switches 1 for up, 1 for down. After replacing my micro switch I made sure I ordered 2 extra switches, in the event I had the same problem down the road. Good insurance.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
You can order the switches on line and the advice above is good relatively easy to replace ....buy 4; they come as a pack and cheaper that way. Replacing the switch is easy. Getting the top off the jack motor was a bit problematic for me. Tight hex head screws and awkward locations. You need to get the cover off anyway so you can do the manual crank handle bit.
The only other time I had a problem, the shear pin was bent and the jack wouldn't come down unless I put a bottle jack under the hitch to take pressure of the jack. Just replaced the pin once I got the cover off.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:44 PM   #9
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
To avoid this issue repeating, use a cover. These switches are notorious for this condition when left exposed to the weather. Something as simple as a baggie works or you can spring for a more elaborate cover.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:00 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Big Airstreams must need electric jacks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
To avoid this issue repeating, use a cover. These switches are notorious for this condition when left exposed to the weather. Something as simple as a baggie works or you can spring for a more elaborate cover.
Wow, I have seen more posts with more problems with electric jacks that it is a wonder they sell any...

My 22 foot Safari is So Easy to jack up and down with the hand jack that I would never change it, paying hundreds for an electric problem maker.

Having said that, I am guessing that my 22 foot is probably balanced pretty well when loaded with a rear kitchen and bath, and maybe the bigger rigs are a problem by hand. Mine is a simple 30 buck hand crank and a 5 year old could do it without any strain.

I did find an electric jack information sheet in the information bag, so a PO probably took off the original and put on an electric which he recovered for putting on his new unit at the trade-in.

I only thank him for not saddling me with an electric problem machine, since the trailer I have clearly doesn't need it.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
I thought the jack was weather proof. Thanks for the heads up on covering jack with a bag. You guys are the best.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:31 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Got my jack replaced under warranty when the same thing happened to me.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:06 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We use a large boat fender (bumper) with one end cut off, to cover our Atwood electric tongue jack; and it's held in place with a couple of bungee cords. The fender shields the motor head and switches from sun, rain, road grime, etc.; and our Atwood has performed flawlessly for over 10 years with no maintenance.

The fender is similar to the one shown at this link:

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/taylo...FVBhfgodvIEKrQ

Note: I have no connection to Atwood, this marine parts vendor, or boat fender manufacturer; and this link is provided for example purposes only.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:00 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Rapid City , South Dakota
Bad switch

Yes it's a bad switch. Mine went out twice in one year on my 2015 23fb. It is covered by warranty.
Chick Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:00 AM   #15

Ft worth , Texas
I want to say thank you to all that took the time to share your thoughts and suggestions!!!
I had to take the unit in, they are thinking its a bad switch or that's where they are going to start! Thinking since it should be a covered item under original warranty I thought I'd take it to the dealer!
I was in those torrential rains down in Katy, TX and will figure out something to keep the water out of the jacks head in the future and if I find out it was the switch I'm going to order that 4 pack!!!
So I take away many new ideas from you all!
Thank you AS Community see ya down the road!!
Slid2astop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Timing is everything as they say. We returned from a 4 day getaway at the coast and at storage the jack was inoperative. It was fine and nothing of note when we hooked up to the TV a few hours earlier.

I popped out the fuse and it was burned. I've had a bit of trouble finding the 30 am slow blow even at the local dealer, so I dropped in a 5 am to see what wold happen. It also blew.

I got the crank out and popped off the bubble cover to expose the shaft and connected. It moved maybe an inch but would not go further. I'm under warranty (2014 delivered 5/2015) so dug out the bottle jack so I could disconnect from the hitch and head home.

I Put the meter to the hot side of the fuse connection and had 12.7 V. Zero resistance on the downstream side, so either my ground is bad or maybe the switch. All the other electronics seem to be fine.

Since it is warranty I'll drop it off next week and along with the (Backup) slow blow fuses I think I'll get at least one spare.

Count me in to those who will now be covering the jack head as it rains here on occasion, just not in Autzen Stadium.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
I too have recently had problems. At first thought it was a switch, and received one under warranty. It wasn't the switch.

The light works, but goes off when I try to raise/lower.

I found at least 1 crimp had failed, but even that wasn't the complete fix. The fuse looked burnt but tested good.

Received a new power head last week and will change them this week... weather permitting.

The manual way works fine, I'm glad the crank is included too. As someone else mentioned with an extension the tank cover does not need to be removed...
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:03 PM   #18

2014 25' FB International
Aspen , Colorado
Where to purcahse switch?

I too have a failing jack - only failing when lifting up. I want to try to replace the switch that has been noted here. Where online can I find one of these for purchase (I am not sure what they are called even.) Thank you.
TraceN is offline   Reply With Quote