Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
First Jack experience

'78 Ambassador. Read the forums in depth. Then came time for action. Attacked 12 lug nuts with penetrating oil for three days. Bought a "cheater" to use with my lug wrench. Cracked the lugs before jacking trailer. Floor jack and two stand-by jack stands. Located axle plate between two tires. Positioned jack on 2" x 10". Gently raised the trailer. Once I had some clearance, positioned jack stands under trailer on boards. Continued to lift, but kept a watchful eye and ear out for anything. Finally had it high enough and repositioned jack stands and gently applied weight to them. The trailer is now "jacked" up with the two jack stands and floor jack. Removed the two wheels. The trailer in the air for at least a week. Any comments or suggestions appreciated. Needless to say heart was pounding and all body parts far from danger. Floor jack did move an inch (marshy ground) and trailer did sway a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream78 002.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	678.5 KB
ID:	97113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream78 001.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	681.3 KB
ID:	97114  

Skamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Where are the jack stands located? On the frame of the trailer, or on the axel plate? They should be either under the axel plate or under the axels, not just under the frame. If you put them under the axels, keep them as close to the frame as possible.

This must be step one on bring her home, right? Putting new tires on is a good first step!

Are you going to check the brakes and bearings while you have the wheels off?

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
I will try...actually enlisting a friend to walk me through it. The front wheel spins freely, but the back is making noise like metal is rubbing. Kind of like brake pads on rusty metal. There is no wobble and they feel solid. The bearings will be checked and packed. First trip will be 20 miles to my home and then I can wash her.
The jack stands are on the axle plates. Thanks. Jack
Old 02-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Drummond Island , Michigan
I brought mine home about the same distance at speed less than 40 mph. Thank goodness. The trailer had not set as long as yours seems to have but I found two faulty brakes when I got home. The wires were broken. The rubbing noise may be a good thing meaning that the brake shoes are close enough to the drum to rub on the rust that is undoubtably there but not so tight that the wheel cannot rotate. Hopefully the wires and magnets will all be there and working so you will have fuctioning brakes. Hook up the electrical cable to the tow vehicle or install a charged battery in the trailer and then pull the emergency breakaway connector on the trailer tongue. Listen for a humming noise at the wheels that will at least indicate that the brakes are trying to work.
Ahzmyrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:35 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Have been reading about brakes, axles and bearings. Already saw one wire loose coming from hub. Plan to buy a battery tomorrow. Thanks for the tips. Will start another thread about what I should or shouldn't do to the rust on everything I saw when wheels removed. Ospho is like painting with water. Remember, trailer is in the middle of nowhere.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
You may need to run new wiring from the TV connector to the axels for the brakes. We did when we picked up Little Girl. Actually, we ran new running lights and wiring for her trip home. New TV connector and umbilical as well. Held the lights and wiring in place with gorilla tape - worked great for 1300 miles. So, you might want to have wire with you when you go out to check the brakes and running lights - just in case you need it.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote