Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #1

1972 27' Overlander
Rockford , Michigan
Electric Tongue Jack issue

Just bought a '72 Overlander. Electric tongue jack just clicks as if it is not engaging properly. If I don't hold it tightly, the head unit wants to spin (wrist breaker) If I happen to jack up the tongue with a hydraulic jack and take the weight off of the unit, it works well (with no load). Is this thing overmatched by the weight of the trailer or is something broken on the inside that is causing it to fail under load? Does this sound like something that can be repaired or am I shopping for a new electric tongue jack? Thanks in advance for any feedback.
gmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
1975 31' Sovereign
San Luis Obispo , California
Below is a copy of a private post regarding my '72 Safari electric Jack. The website that Dan refered me to has jack parts. I like the look of the original jack better than the new Atwood jack that I purchased and will probably buy the necessary replacement parts. I have only used the new jack 20 times maximum and would be willing to sell it and use the cash to purchase replacement parts for the old jack if you are going the new route. If you wish to reuse the old jack it comes apart simply and parts are available at http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?m...oducts_id=1084 The part is fiberglass or plastic.

Good luck, John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airxtream
Greetings,
I saw your post reguarding repair of '70s tongue jack. Mine does not work. I have taken it apart and one of the gears is badly worn. Only about 40% of the teeth are there. The electric motor and post are e, and the rest of the jack seems fine. No name on Jack just #16148 stamped on the body.
Any suggestions of finding replacement gears?
I have a new atwood jack but I really like the looks of the old one.
Thanks, John Semon
john@sloart.com
Airxtream
San Luis Obispo, Ca.

John,
I don't have a way to cross referance it but I think the part you are looking for is

http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?m...oducts_id=1084

That is the company I use to work for. If that is not it, you might call ODM tomorrow 9 to 3 EST and ask for Ben in parts. Or next week 9 to 5.

they also have the switch in stock.

I hope this helps.

Dan
Old 08-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
plano , Texas
My jack did that when it got slightly loose and slid higher on the post. Simply loosening the allen screws and reseating it make it work just fine.
tschat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I would take off the cover and check the drive gear. Good chance it is stripped or slipping. If that's the problem it's an easy repair
Old 08-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #5

1972 27' Overlander
ocean springs , Mississippi
I am having the same problem with a 72 overlander jack. Thanks for the information I will check it out.
tom1scott is offline   Reply With Quote