Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2003, 11:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Electric/Manual Jack Security Question

Been reading about many members who recommend wiring the electric jack so that the battery disconnect kills power to the jack for security reasons. Sounds like a good idea to me. My dealer wired mine directly to the battery though

I was going to ask how to re-wire this, but I thought of a question that needs to be answered first....I have an Atwood electric jack that has a cut-out that exposes the manual jack insert. Even if I did all of the re-wiring, what's to stop someone for manually adjusting the jack (assuming they have the proper lever)? If it can overridden manually, I don't know how worthwhile it is to re-wire the electric jack. Maybe, I'm just too paranoid?

Abe
Old 11-01-2003, 11:50 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

I don't believe a disconnect is going to slow a thief from stealing a trailer. With the use of a Jack-all, they could have your trailer a block away, before the electric jack was even raised. I don't think you can ever be too paranoid about security issues though. If the trailer is unhitched, I would suggest a good ball-lock, but for peace of mind, there is nothing better than a wheel type locking device, similar to the ones the police officers use when they seize a vehicle before they have it towed. I had a co-worker lose his cargo trailer in downtown Calgary with over $50,000 CDN worth of tools inside, and he even had an expensive ball-lock. The theives backed their van up to it, jacked it up and tied chains around their bumper and the trailer hitch. They literally dragged it away in view of several witnesses and the police never did find it.

I would consider disconnecting power to the jack for other reasons...vandalism, children's safety, practical jokers (if you have friends like mine), etc.

bbb
biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote