Old 06-06-2006, 07:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2006 25' Classic
Floyds Knobs , Indiana
Electric Jack operation?

OK, I have noticed on my Classic 25 at times that the electric Jack seems to get a forward or aft load on it. I may be over analyzing this, but I wonder just how much forward and aft movement this Jack can put up with. Chocking the wheels forward and aft is a given and finding level spots is not always possible. I suppose one could back the airstream against the chocks and place the front chalks into place to take away any slack.

Any comments?

Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master
The extended jack must be designed to take a degree of fore-and-aft loading as the load will only be purely along the tube when the tube is at right angles to the ground. When the tongue is raised right up, so as, for example, to fit the load distribution bars, there will be a considerable fore-and-aft bending moment, and the jack tube withstands this. I would not be concerned about this.

Nick Crowhurst, Excella 25 1988, Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel. England in summer, USA in winter.
"The price of freedom is eternal maintenance."
nickcrowhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:55 AM   #3

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I think I would be concerned if the jack was fully extended and there was much that was not centered. In that case, I would use blocks under the jack.

pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Not much side load...

The power jack isn't really designed for much other than vertical loads to raise or lower the tongue... If you're going to be inside the trailer and moving, or working on it from outside, the leveling jacks should be lowerd to brace it in position. They will block any side loads, and absorb some of the fore/aft loads, along with wheel chocks as others noted...

It's pretty easy to bend or collapse power jack by pulling trailer forward with jack extended (don't ask.. ) and it really is only designed for static vertical load.

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:14 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
2006 25' Classic
Floyds Knobs , Indiana
Thanks for the comments,

After this weekend of camping I have decided to try the scissor type of wheel chocks that go between the wheels. I am not satisfied with just loose chocks. And after watching the guy next to me do an uncontrolled roll back of his trailer off a stack of plastic blocks after he disconnected it from his tow vehicle, Yikes!

Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Nipomo , California
I mistakenly started to drive off with the electric jack in the down position. Big mistake, of course. The jack was so bent that after a couple of more uses I failed to retract so I had it replaced.

I did two other things that help me remember what to do when setting up or leaving. First, I got a bright orange jack pad, one that is hard to miss when checking to leave. The bright object is a nice visual cue.

Also, I bought two between-the-wheel chocks that when locked in place really do a superb job eliminating the fore and aft rocking that happens when moving about inside the trailer or when parked on a less than level surface. I use these every time before disconnecting so no stress is placed on the electric jack.

So far my new practices have been working well.

Mike Young & Rosemary Nelson

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote