Old 01-16-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
The Gorgeous Pac Northwest , Washington
Does this jack have a manual override?

Jacked it up today to un-hitch and now it won't go down. It has power and you can hear the motor but no movement. Does that top cover pop off or something? Think this thing is up for a replacement? I wonder if the electric jack is more trouble than it's worth. What's a good price for a new one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00296-20100116-2020.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	94194   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00293-20100116-2019.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	94195  

Old 01-16-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicheVintage View Post
Jacked it up today to un-hitch and now it won't go down. It has power and you can hear the motor but no movement. Does that top cover pop off or something? Think this thing is up for a replacement? I wonder if the electric jack is more trouble than it's worth. What's a good price for a new one?
Sounds like the fiber gear has stripped.

That gear can be replaced.

If you take the entire jack head off, you will find a shaft that has a slot in it. There is a manual crank handle that fits that slot, so can operate the jack in effent of a failure.

New electric jacks depending on brand go for around $400.00 more or less.

Andy

Old 01-17-2010, 12:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
There are allen head set screws in the ribbed housing at the top of the vertical jack 'tube'...

You have to back out the screws and the whole motorized 'head unit' will lift off - inside you will find a square socket that you can turn manually to lower the tongue...

For replacement, with the tongue securely blocked (and the trailer wheels chocked) you can remove the old jack tube after removing the motor 'head' unit as noted above...

I replaced ours, with a new electric jack assembly - paid about $200 as I recall...I looked into replacing the motor alone, till I realized the old jack itself was tired and worn out as well, and a new motor would probably be under stress to operate the other worn parts, gears, etc...as a bonus, bonus, the new jack also had a handy light at the top for night maneuvers...

I would NEVER even think about replacing the electric jack with a 'manual' model - just think about all the 'cranking' you'd have to do each time you hitched/unhitched, to say nothing about the minor adjustments you need to do when you level the trailer...save up your hard earned $'s and invest in a new, smooth running, electric powered jack...