Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2016, 10:19 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Do you jack your AS up for the winter?

I'm sure this question has been talked to death, but we are newbies and the search engine for the AS forums is, um, challenged.

So do you store your AS up on jacks or the like for the winter? And if you do this, how do you do it? Those spaces that where the jack fits aren't that large, It would be good to have a larger space so you could jack up and then slip a stack of 4x4 pieces of wood in there (on each side) and release the jack.

We only have one axle, if that makes a difference. Our parking space is blacktop, and we have plywood under the tires, mostly to keep the weight from making divots in the driveway.

Thanks in advance. . . . .
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:22 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
No......
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
We plan to use ours in the winter, but I thought these looked interesting.

http://www.trailerlegs.com/
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
No, she sits for about seven months on the wheels. No issues, with any of our Rvs or Airstreams
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:43 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Yes...

.....ever since new.

Reasons.....torsion axles can take a 'set' if not exercised regularly.
Tires... un-used, left outdoors during a WNY Winter=nothing good happens.

Plus...
Our Classic... GVWR 7300lbs equipped from JC with two 3500b axles.

POI>>>>Those 'TrailerLegs' would damage,(bend), the AS's torsion axles.

Bob
Old 04-29-2016, 06:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post

While these look AWESOME for the purpose, I wonder if they're not compatible with AS? First, those SOBs are higher off the ground to start with and second, there's a lot of warning about not jacking up in the axles themselves but only the spots marked on the frame. I may have that wrong and would love to hear from someone who is knowledgeable about that. Seems like a terrific and easy solution if compatible!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post

These won't work on a square torflex axle. A torflex axle can only be jacked up on the steel flange, never the tube as this effects the axle alignment.

Yes my trailer is jacked up from November through April. It is good to get weight off the tires and axles when not using for prolonged periods.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallye View Post
I'm sure this question has been talked to death, but we are newbies and the search engine for the AS forums is, um, challenged.

So do you store your AS up on jacks or the like for the winter? And if you do this, how do you do it? Those spaces that where the jack fits aren't that large, It would be good to have a larger space so you could jack up and then slip a stack of 4x4 pieces of wood in there (on each side) and release the jack.

We only have one axle, if that makes a difference. Our parking space is blacktop, and we have plywood under the tires, mostly to keep the weight from making divots in the driveway.

Thanks in advance. . . . .
It is not necessary for your FC20 at all IMO, despite recent suggestions to the contrary for much larger and heavier trailers, by an owner who understands the intricacies and structure of Airstream suspensions, and who is able to fashion non-standard support on his own IMO.

Just move the trailer every month or so a few feet back and forth, in order to avoid theoretical flat spots on the tires.

Nice choice of trailer by the way, and welcome to the forum!

Cheers,

Peter

PS your water tank and holding tanks will be empty, and the trailer also lightened up by removing heavy canned goods, etc., so the loads on the single axle will be reduced
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
These won't work on a square torflex axle. A torflex axle can only be jacked up on the steel flange, never the tube as this effects the axle alignment.

Yes my trailer is jacked up from November through April. It is good to get weight off the tires and axles when not using for prolonged periods.
Good to know and that makes sense. Thanks for pointing this out.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yes, for the reasons Bob said.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:40 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Having had AS since 1963 never jacked up in winter or any other time when stored with no damage to any part of AS, in my opinion just a lot of work for no reason. Present AS 1976 pur. new 1977, same thing no damage........ Never removed wheels and never had flat spots, just made sure properly inflated before storing. IMO flat spots are caused by tires sliding on dry pavement not sitting for several mos. Also 76 AS sat for 9 yrs. out side on gravel with out moving or jacking up, again no flat spots or damage to AS.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:16 AM   #12
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
You need to read up on flat spots and make up your own mind. Myself, the trailer gets jacked up if not being used for 2 months or longer. I see no reason to take the chance of the tires getting flat spots nor the torsion axles being compressed for long periods. JMHO
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:28 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Bias ply tires were famous for developing flat spots. Radial tires not so much.
Raising the axles to the point the tires are off the ground does nothing to extend the life of the torsion axle. It is still setting motionless in one position. Exercising the axles by towing is the best solution to preventing freeze ups. IMHO
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:59 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
... Exercising the axles by towing is the best solution to preventing freeze ups. IMHO
That's what I do. No more than after 2.5 months of sitting, I go out to the storage lot and hookup the AS , bring it home for a day, do any minor repairs or wash it. It's about 23 miles each way so the tires get warmed up. I check tire pressure before I take it back. I bought jacks for raising it off the ground but decided it was easier just to take it for a spin.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:14 AM   #15
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Ok a different twist.

I don't jack it up off of the ground but I do take a bunch of weight off of the axles if it's going to sit for a few months. I use pickup truck jacks (the ones that come with a pickup to change tire) and lift it a bit. Tires stay on ground but lots of weight comes off the axles.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I think the torsion axles and radial tires need exercise more than jacked up and left static, so if it sits for a long period we hitch up and take it for a drive.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:09 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Thanks everyone!

Moving it every month or so sounds good, but it's kind of difficult to do sometimes, like the year we had 109 inches of snow in 3 weeks! That year (winter of 2014-2015) I was mostly worried that the roof would cave it!

I'm thinking that checking the tire pressure every so often, when possible, is probably our best bet.

One funny side story - during that year with all the snow, the snow was piled up above the bottom of the trailer. The local rabbits realized that there was a big open space below and created snow slides to get under the trailer and out again. I was expecting a lot of bunny "presents" in the spring, but apparently they didn't actually live down there because they left nothing behind.
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:48 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
The high country. Black Mountain range. , North Carolina
No.
JaynEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:54 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
sallye: Can't be of much help to you because I now have independent suspension with twin air bags so I lower my 1958 Caravanner to the ground whenever parked. Keeps weight off the tires. However, if I had any design of the Airstream antiquated axles I'd jack up the rig to keep weight off the tires and cover them. I put a small board held with a concrete block to cover the small remainder of my tires showing. My theory of no or minimal weight on tires prevents flat spots. If you should have to use your rig in winter it takes a while to reshape your tires, not so long in warmer weather however.
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:53 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
It is not necessary for your FC20 at all IMO, despite recent suggestions to the contrary for much larger and heavier trailers, by an owner who understands the intricacies and structure of Airstream suspensions, and who is able to fashion non-standard support on his own IMO.

Just move the trailer every month or so a few feet back and forth, in order to avoid theoretical flat spots on the tires.

Nice choice of trailer by the way, and welcome to the forum!

Cheers,

Peter

PS your water tank and holding tanks will be empty, and the trailer also lightened up by removing heavy canned goods, etc., so the loads on the single axle will be reduced
When not traveling, every thirty days I jack up one side at a time and rotate the wheels to the opposite side that it was sitting on. I also inflate the tires by 20% per manufacturers suggestion. I wash it at the same time so its a monthly chore. Of course I couldn't wash it if we were living up north in winter.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote