Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
Changing a flat tire.

Hello all,

Thankfully my flat tire was noticed while the trailer was sitting in front of my house. I noticed that one of my tires was at 20lbs! Then I noticed the panhead screw staring at me.

I decided to wing it on my first tire removal. I drove the trailer up on two 2x4's and tried to get the tire off. No go! It still wasn't enough to get the wheel out of the wheel well so I still had to jack the trailer up. I used the angled iron plate behind the axle and got the the wheel out.

Off to NTB for the plug. I got back and tried to put the wheel back on. The hub had sagged and was actually lower than the wheel's lug holes.

I got out my other jack with a little more capacity and went for the labeled jack spot on the silver square spot. I raised the trailer a little more in order to get the wheel fully in the wheel well and then put the other jack on the sagging hub and raised it up to the level of the wheel. It's a Dexter axle and certainly not as "easy" as it has been described. Not all that bad, but I was shocked that the hub sagged lower than the wheel lug hole alignment holes. Is this normal?

Only the front wheel was on the 2, 2x4 ramp and the other side wheels were chocked in place.

Thanks,

Doug
yakman is offline   Reply With Quote