Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Pecos , New Mexico
Change a tire

I have a 2008 Safari SE, 23'. One tire is low and I want to remove it for repair. I have heard varying information about 1) Finding the proper jacking points, and 2) Jacking vs ramping. I could not find the "label" under the trailer near the axle which points to the jacking location, as per manufacturer's instructions. Any hints, or thoughts on this?
friedablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Duel axles? Loosen lug nuts of low tire to ease with the removal later. Roll the trailer forward with the tow vehicle on to some leveling blocks using the good tire on the same side to lift the low tire up off the ground - it should be suspended in the air. Finish removing the lug nuts. Get leak repaired. You can put the spare on but if at home just take it with another vehicle to be fixed.

I prefer not to jack the trailer - if there is only a single axle then you have no real choice but to become an expert on finding the jack points.

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
The jacking points should not be hard to find on a 2008 trailer. They are marked at the factory.

However, I agree that the easiest and safest manner is what Clancy_boy described...
Old 08-03-2010, 10:51 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
St Cloud , Minnesota
I've found it helpful to be prepared for both jacking and ramping; sometimes one works when the other isn't practical. For example ramping can be a challenge on an uneven or slippery surface, or, undesirable when you're set up in a long term site or when you need to use the tow vehicle to go for repairs or a new tire. As for jacking - at times you may not have enough blocks or boards to raise the jack to a usable height, or, you may not have ready access to the approved jacking points.

After two years of faithfully checking the the air pressure in my spare tire, I finally had a flat tire. I hitched up, used my ramp, removed the flat, removed the spare from the carrier, and finally noticed that the spare rim had 5 bolt holes whereas the trailer rims had 6. Right size tire; wrong rim. I traveled seven more states before I found a new rim with the right specs.
JamieEllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
The jacking points should not be hard to find on a 2008 trailer. They are marked at the factory.

However, I agree that the easiest and safest manner is what Clancy_boy described...
Hi, I found my jacking points on my trailer, but I don't use them . I use a bottle jack on the axle brackets. Beware; The labels for the jacking points are just that , labels. They point you inward to square cut pieces of aluminum sheet metal riveted onto the frame. This is where you are supposed to put your jack, as per Airstream. They are quite a ways inward, so you need to crawl under your trailer to actually see them. I like the ramp idea better. So far, no flats, knock on wood!
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio

As low as $29.00 plus shipping online. Works well - we have two of them - Trailer Aid.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Another option:
There is also a product called EZ Jack. It's a cast aluminum cresent shaped type ramp that you drive up on to raise the trailer. Prices vary from site to site. I bought mine at Southwest Tire and Wheel but Amazon also carries them and so does etrailer.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:26 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Pecos , New Mexico
Smile Thanks all!

Thank you all for your timely responses! I had been leaning toward the ramping-as I have a slow leak and am currently parked in storage.
I think I will leave the tow vehicle on, and run the tire over to be fixed with another vehicle. This was my first post on the forum, and I'm sure it won't be my last. Thanks for making it a great experience.

friedablue
friedablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #9
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
just to add another point -

levelling blocks - such as the lynx levellers -are super easy to use.
think of interlocking lego pieces.

just make a short flat-top pyramid and drive the good tire up, lifting the bad tire off the ground.

i did this a while ago at a campsite and the change was fast.

the blocks come in a carrying bag and take up very little space.

much faster and easier [and i think much safer] than using a jack.
no chance of doinf damage to the underside of your AS.

remember - after going up the blocks, make sure the other tires are well-blocked and the TV brake is on.

good luck,

az-streamer
[CENTER][I]
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote