Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Jacks, Stabilizers, Lifting and Leveling
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2015, 10:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

, North Carolina
Can't move the love boat: Tongue jack override?

howdy forum family, i was all set to transport the love boat today (my 81 excella II) for the first time since moving in six months ago. went to raise the electric tongue jack and nothing. hooked into shore power, fuses all good, checked and there is power running to the relay (see picture).

the jack has worked fine since i bought it (a year ago) but hasn't been used in 6 months...not sure what could have changed/gone wrong.

seems the jack diagram in my manual isn't exactly the same as what's on the trailer. and the small crank for manual use doesn't seem to be the right match (see picture...the end of the crank is flat and so is the place it's supposed to mount).

any advice on a manual solution for now? and for troubleshooting electric relay/switch/motor for future? a neighbor said he'd let me use his floor jack for now but that wouldn't move the tongue up and therefore i couldn't take the trailer on the road. huge thanks as always!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	233893   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	233894  

simple sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Looks like a standard socket (not sure what size) should address that problem. I've never had to do that but looking at the picture suggests that might work. If you have a socket set and an extended driver, see what fits and crank up your jack.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I'm not sure about your particular jack. But, when you say fuses are OK are there internal as well as external fuses? Bad ground?
Old 03-10-2015, 04:03 PM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Sounds like an electrical issue if no sounds when you engage the switch. Electrical contacts can degrade over time. Or as suggested above you may have a power or ground issue. A test light can be your best friend in this type of situation.

Prime 08-9010 12 Volt Test Light
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 03-10-2015, 06:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
This may seem overly simple, but have you checked the wiring going to the jack? On my trailer, the two wires go under the LP tank cover. If you were not careful, it'd be real easy on my trailer to bust the wiring up with the LP tank cover.

I'd use a multimeter and make sure that there is power to the jack.

Best of luck!
Old 03-10-2015, 10:53 PM   #6
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
If you can look inside around the manual jack thingy. I was stumped for several days only to discover that a wire had come loose. I also checked the fuses and everything seemed fine but it just would not work. Again a disconnected wire was the problem.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
that looks like a replacement jack, and the handle you have is from the original Barker Superjack. And the drive screw in the head appears to be square so you will need a 12 point socket to fit it.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:20 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
West Liberty , Kentucky
I had trouble with my jack last year. The inline fuse was ok but the one under the sink on my AS looked ok but was loose in the holder. We tightened the fuse holder and did not have any more trouble.
Air4563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:42 AM   #9
Lefty Rick

1986 25' Sovereign
Applegate , California
Had a similar problem with my jack a while back. I determined the rocker switch had failed and would only work intermittently, unfortunately not when we were on the road! Picked up a replacement toggle switch at our local Napa Auto Parts store. Make sure you use a double pole switch rated for 125 volts & 15 amps. Mine had screw type terminal connectors. I keep a spare in my AS parts kit. Hope this helps.
RickT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:56 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

, North Carolina
Thanks everybody! There is power running to the jack (so I think that rules out fuse or ground issues). Sounds like I don't have the original Barker super jack according to John. If that's the case, then I can't rely on the diagram in my manual and therefore not sure I can figure out where the rocker switch/toggle switch is (thanks Rick).

Sounds like I need to get a 12 point socket and extended driver to use the manual crank and then find someone who can come look at the electrical issues later. Will let you know how it goes. In the meantime, I welcome any other suggestions.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:31 AM   #11
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
In the first pic posted there is a circuit breaker shown, looks lke it is sprayed lack. Is there 12 volts on both sides of that breaker?

The circuit breaker has two electical studs pointing down.

>>>>>Action
Old 03-30-2015, 08:39 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

, North Carolina
happy to report that the love boat has been successfully moved. turns out we had to remove a pin in the gears of the electric jack so i could manually lift the tongue and that a 9/16 socket fit. i called the folks at ultrafab about the jack malfunction and they were really helpful in trouble shooting over the phone...it was still under warranty and they sent me a new one (which i have yet to install). thanks again everyone.