Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
P&J
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Schaumburg , IL
Bounce Wiggle Rock Wobble Seesaw

Need your help, I have searched and I cannot find a thread on this.
I don't write often, becuase I can usually find the advice I need already posted by someone else, this time I don't know what to search.

We have a 2008 25' Safari FB. We have been traveling for the last 5 months seeing the USA. ( camped in 35 of the lower 48 so far). Recently I have noticed a major, bounce, wiggle, rock, wobble, seesaw, sway, I don't know what to call it, in the camper. We are set up on fairly level campsites. We have all 4 stabalizers down. Yet, when someone walks around, it seems the whole campers shakes.

We are using wheel chocks by the tires, we put blocks under the stabalizers if the height is too much. We retighten the stabalizers the next day if we are on sandy soil.

We have put a few miles on over the last 5 months? Is my new camper just old already. Is there something we need to tighten down?

can you point me in the right direction.
Judy
P&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I hate to say it, but I wonder if it isnt a frame issue involving some weld breaks. Full disclosure I dont know much about frames.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Of course the weight of the trailer cannot be supported by the stabilizers. I'm wondering though if you don't have them tightened enough to prevent the tires from flexing when walking around inside.

Stabilizers can hardly level even half a bubble but you can easily give 1 1/2 turns after they seem to be down solid. Give it a bit more cranking on all 4 corners IMO.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
May seem silly but also check your tire pressures, since you've traveled in so many states, they may be lower than before, causing more flex in the sidewalls.

John
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:38 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Check the tongue jack to make sure it's still tight on the A-frame. I've also seen the weld on the lower brace for the jack fail, and allow the jack to wallow forward and back while you move around in the trailer.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Stabilizer bolts.

Hi, last time, and only time my trailer felt like this, was when I noticed my stabilizers were falling off. On my trailer the stabilizers have four bolts on the outside mount and only one on the inside mount. The single inside bolts were loose, missing, and broken. This was not noticable until I crawled under my trailer looking for mouse entries.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&J View Post
Need your help, I have searched and I cannot find a thread on this.
I don't write often, becuase I can usually find the advice I need already posted by someone else, this time I don't know what to search.

We have a 2008 25' Safari FB. We have been traveling for the last 5 months seeing the USA. ( camped in 35 of the lower 48 so far). Recently I have noticed a major, bounce, wiggle, rock, wobble, seesaw, sway, I don't know what to call it, in the camper. We are set up on fairly level campsites. We have all 4 stabalizers down. Yet, when someone walks around, it seems the whole campers shakes.

We are using wheel chocks by the tires, we put blocks under the stabalizers if the height is too much. We retighten the stabalizers the next day if we are on sandy soil.

We have put a few miles on over the last 5 months? Is my new camper just old already. Is there something we need to tighten down?

can you point me in the right direction.
Judy
Gererally speaking, once the stabilizer jacks are firmly touching the pavement or a 2 x 6, an additional 1 1/2 to 2 additional full turns of the jack crank should be adequate to stop the movement that your describing.

Please remember that the jacks are for stabilizing, not lifting.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:49 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Hulla Hoop Method

I just remembered the old method of someone inside doing a dance while someone outside looked to see what's happening.

Try the front and look at the jack and front stabilizers then try the back and check out the tires and rear stabilizers.

If the trailer seems ok then you're on shaky ground, and if in California suggest moving very quickly. ;O)
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #9
P&J
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Schaumburg , IL
Thanks for all the suggestions, it is raining today in Louisiana, but we will crawl under there tomorrow and take a closer look.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
So what was the verdict?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #11
P&J
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Schaumburg , IL
so I guess the end of the story is we have elephant feet or something. We checked the stabailzers and they are fine. The front A-frame is solid. The tire pressure was fine. Maybe we just forgot to walk softly.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&J View Post
so I guess the end of the story is we have elephant feet or something. We checked the stabailzers and they are fine. The front A-frame is solid. The tire pressure was fine. Maybe we just forgot to walk softly.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
"Walk softly, and tow an Airstream." Words to camp by.