Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2008, 11:20 PM   #1

bonita , California
Bolt size for new mechanical jack?

Just got a new jack for my '73 Sovereign. But it was missing the bolts. I purchased the trailer without a jack (or bolts) so I don't have the old bolts either. Anyone know the correct bolt size? Thanks! 1st post for me.
toddingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:11 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
Just from memory and not actually standing at my trailer this early in the morning, I seem to recall that these bolts are standard 1/2 inch bolts about 1 inch long. If I were in this situation, I would fo to ACE hardware and get a sampling of different sizes with standard threads - stainless, of course. Try them and don't forget to lube the old threads. If you have a tap and die set, you could use the thread gauge to get the number of threads per inch and then retap the hoole to get the bolt size.

This would be easier if you could get the trailer to the store. Either way, this is one of the simpler problems to repair. Hopefully someone will pitch in and help. The repair manual for my '73 Excella only says remove the bolts and resuse to install a new jack - no picture or description.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:54 AM   #3

bonita , California
Thanks Joe! If I don't get an exact answer from someone I will just use your suggestion.
I realize now that the holes in the tongue are threaded. Do you know if I need to add a washer and nut to the end of the bolt? I would think so, but just trying to confirm since I've never seen the original setup.
Todd
P.S. I've posted some pics of my progress on the interior.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
If you are talking about the tongue jack, I believe they are 3/8" course thread.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:43 PM   #5

bonita , California
Tongue Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
If you are talking about the tongue jack, I believe they are 3/8" course thread.
Steve-
Yes I'm installing a tongue jack. Do you know if I need to add a washer and nut to the end of the bolts? I would think so, but just trying to confirm since I've never seen the original setup.
Thanks,
Todd
Old 12-14-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
My original setup uses 3/8" bolts thru the jack flange into the threaded holes in the hitch, with no nuts or washers on the under side.

I believe if I was reinstalling one today, I'd at a minimum put blue Locktite on those bolts.