View Poll Results: What kind of levelers do you use?
lumber scraps 57 36.08%
plastic lego-like leveling blocks 99 62.66%
other - please explain 9 5.70%
none - I'm ok with a little lean 3 1.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2011, 09:53 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I think I need to go back to school and take modern math; I came up with a total of the votes with 107.69% "Splain Lucy"

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:20 AM   #58
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I think I need to go back to school and take modern math; I came up with a total of the votes with 107.69% "Splain Lucy"
Apparently the number is shrinking as I got 107.64%. It must be all those athletes who "give 110%" that has changed math.

For leveling, I am having helium tanks installed on each side of the trailer—shift the helium to the low side and it rises.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member
2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
This survey has precipitated a lot of responses, so I'll add mine as long as we're over 100%. This reminds me of that "Kettle Math" video clip that has made the internet rounds. (Kettle, as in Ma & Pa Kettle). It's very funny, and worth Googling. Anyway, I use the yellow legos-type because years ago, I didn't like the weight of the wood. The legos do break if the surface is too uneven, and when they have broken, I switch them to the "B" team, i.e., bases for my stabilizer jacks (not tongue jack, as there I do use untreated wood), or to keep my "autoformer" out of the wet ground. As to the pressure treated wood, I've always been a bit paranoid about it...not from knowledge, but from ignorance. I do know that not all Simpson ties are approved for use with pressure treated lumber, so I wonder what the chemical does to the tires over time. As a practical matter, it would probably take more time than any tire remains in service, but the thought entered my mind.
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member
2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
I've been using the orange blocks. We just upgraded our trail so now I have tandem axles. I can't figure out how to level both tires when I need to stack the blocks more than 2 high, because I don't have room to build a ramp between the two tires for the back tire to pull up on. Am i doing something wrong?
AlumFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member
1965 24' Tradewind
silverton , Oregon
So does the orange and yellow work together or are the just enough different that you can't put the two colors together.
And by the way, I just found this thread just after I bought yellow blocks yesterday.
We, for the first time, had to really jack up one side at an uneven camp ground. We did not have enough wood to make it work so I decided that when we got home I was going to try those legos ones out.
It sounds like either wood or blocks have to be replaced over time.
meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #62
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
For double-axles, just build one long ramp with blocks; i.e., ramp up at one end, then build a continuous length of level-blocks long enough to support both axles.

Not sure about aging and useful life of plastic blocks (we have the orange ones). However, we use them only occasionally, since most sites are relatively level, even when boondocking.

In seven years, our set of blocks has outlasted the wooden chocks we use when our Bambi is disconnected and parked. (The chocks are dry-rotted and falling apart.) Not sure this would be true if we were semi-permanently parked on top of the blocks, and they were exposed to UV, 365 days a year. However, the plastic is very heavy and seems durable.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #63
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We have the orange ones and they the plastic webbing breaks down eventually. They can still be used for a while. The orange come in packages of 10, the yellow in packages of 8. 8 is enough for 2 wheels and is about 2 1/2 to 3 inches. Camping World only has the yellow, so we get the orange ones on the internet. You could make a 3rd level with 10, but you are only resting on a single one and that is hard to get just right.

We also have some 2x10 scraps that I have beveled on the edges to make it easier on the tires. The wood is good for changing a tire and 3 levels will raise the trailer 4 1/2". Also good for the rare really off camber site. They can be used under the legos, but the legos can slide on top of the wood.

I don't know which color is stronger and hope I haven't got the color reversed since Barb is in charge of legos.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote