Old 10-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
We use the old aluminum stabilizers shown in the Camco ad. I'm happy just to take out the bounce of the suspension and tires.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #16
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
One reason that you may feel the movement of the trailer, even with the stabilizers down is because of the lightweight frame
Also, the floor support spacing is much wider than in normal house construction, so no matter what you do to support the frame, you will always get floor flex.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Gringo,
I have the same issue that you do. I think what I feel is the trailer rocking on it's wheels in a back and forth motion, more than a bounce. I can crank my stabilizers almost to the ground and easily move them front and back an inch or so by hand. I crank at setup onto wood block and re-tighten like stated above and still get the movement. I have been told a wheel lock between both wheels will help stop the rocking. I have not tried it myself. What I'm talking about is something like what is shown in the attached web links, but there are other brands.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ng-chock/43891
or
Ultra-Fab Chock and Lock Wheel Stabilizer for Tandem-Axle Trailers and RVs - Up to 10" Wide Ultra-Fab Products Wheel Chocks UF21-001080
Old 10-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #18
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I cut some plywood rectangles that I carry with me. If my stabilizers are on grass / gravel / dirt I always put one under the pad. If I am jacking the trailer from the frame lift points I always use one between the jack and body. Should offer extra protection should there be some slippage and help prevent the jack from penetrating the belly pan. Anyhow, it makes me feel a little better.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #19
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I cut some plywood rectangles that I carry with me. If my stabilizers are on grass / gravel / dirt I always put one under the pad.
Or you can buy big screw-on "mushroom" feet for the legs. They aren't too cheap, but sooo convenient. I asked for them for my birthday, but nobody was listening.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #20
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Thumbs up They Do Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Gringo,
I have the same issue that you do. I think what I feel is the trailer rocking on it's wheels in a back and forth motion, more than a bounce. I can crank my stabilizers almost to the ground and easily move them front and back an inch or so by hand. I crank at setup onto wood block and re-tighten like stated above and still get the movement. I have been told a wheel lock between both wheels will help stop the rocking. I have not tried it myself. What I'm talking about is something like what is shown in the attached web links, but there are other brands.
X-Chock Tire Locking Chock - BAL 28010 - Chocks & Levelers - Camping World
or
Ultra-Fab Chock and Lock Wheel Stabilizer for Tandem-Axle Trailers and RVs - Up to 10" Wide Ultra-Fab Products Wheel Chocks UF21-001080
I bought two X-Chocks and used them for the first time a couple weeks ago. I definitely could feel the difference from using the stabilizers alone. The trailer felt basically rock solid.

Ken
Old 10-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #21
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Mine have the mushroom feet on them. I still use the plywood. Just want to keep them out of the dirt.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Mine have the mushroom feet on them. I still use the plywood. Just want to keep them out of the dirt.
My stabilizers have the round feet on them. I put orange plastic pads under them, because it looks cool. That and the fact I tend to forget to pick up stuff when we leave.
Ken
Old 10-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Metal sand shoes as ground

On of the advantages of using the metal sand shoes is that they ground the trailer. Putting wood planks or plastic under them defeats the function. If you get reverse polarity from the campsite, the trailer skin will become electrically hot and gets you when you reach for the door handle when you are standing on damp grass. Parkers at International will check that your trailer is properly grounded.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
On of the advantages of using the metal sand shoes is that they ground the trailer. Putting wood planks or plastic under them defeats the function. If you get reverse polarity from the campsite, the trailer skin will become electrically hot and gets you when you reach for the door handle when you are standing on damp grass. Parkers at International will check that your trailer is properly grounded.
I appreciate that, however my surge protector will not allow reverse polarity to reach the trailer. If it did, my cast aluminum tongue jack stand grounds the trailer.

Ken