Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2009, 06:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
bent stabilizer

I had a little mishap a couple months ago that resulted in bending the rod/shaft of one rear stabilizer. This is the shaft that turns to extend/retract the base (foot, or whatever it might be called). It's a pretty good bend in the 5/8 in shaft and prevents me from being able to turn it without contacting the belly pan. I think it's steel???

I was able to pull the entire stabilizer off (3 fasteners) and now have it in my truck. Any idea who I might contact to straighten the rod? I don't see how to remove it from the assembly for replacement....

Thanks for any ideas....
Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you have it off any welding shop or good mechanic should be able to straighten the shaft. It does not have to be real straight just as long as you can turn it easily.

Are you sure that some of the other parts are not also bent? Have who ever you go to check the rest of the frame for bends also. I have straighten several and when I do I add 2 pieces 3/4 x3/4 angle to the outside of the struts to make a triangular beam rather than just a straight beam. They are generaly the weak point thus the addition.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:27 AM   #3
Community Organizer

2005 22' Safari
South Chicago , Illinois
It will never be right, you'll probably have to get a new one. Try Out of Doors Mart or Inland RV to see if they have one, they are special for Airstreams.

"We have just religion enough to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." Jonathan Swift
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:33 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
I have had this happen a couple times on this poorly manufactured stablizers! I would recommend just heathing it up with a torch or having heated and bend it out straight and go on you marry way!
shermantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
If you have it off any welding shop or good mechanic should be able to straighten the shaft. It does not have to be real straight just as long as you can turn it easily.

Are you sure that some of the other parts are not also bent? Have who ever you go to check the rest of the frame for bends also. I have straighten several and when I do I add 2 pieces 3/4 x3/4 angle to the outside of the struts to make a triangular beam rather than just a straight beam. They are generaly the weak point thus the addition.

What Howie said. Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Now that's two opposing views! But appreciated. So, I could try to find a machine shop (used to be one down by the RR) and, if doesn't work out, find a new one... hummmm
Old 03-27-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
... I add 2 pieces 3/4 x3/4 angle to the outside of the struts to make a triangular beam rather than just a straight beam. They are generaly the weak point thus the addition.
Oh - mine does have this configuration. Maybe it's not the first time this has happened to mine!! I did note that all three of the fasteners securing the stabilizer were of different size. Raised a small flag.

Laura
Old 03-27-2009, 08:54 AM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Option 3:
Contact BAL and see if you can get the part you need.
BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I would take Howie's advice first then shop for a new one if that didn't work. For that to happen, did someone leave it too low and you struck something while driving or just forgot to raise it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
I had a little mishap a couple months ago that resulted in bending the rod/shaft of one rear stabilizer. This is the shaft that turns to extend/retract the base (foot, or whatever it might be called). It's a pretty good bend in the 5/8 in shaft and prevents me from being able to turn it without contacting the belly pan. I think it's steel???

I was able to pull the entire stabilizer off (3 fasteners) and now have it in my truck. Any idea who I might contact to straighten the rod? I don't see how to remove it from the assembly for replacement....

Thanks for any ideas....
Laura
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post

... For that to happen, did someone leave it too low and you struck something while driving or just forgot to raise it?

Got the A/S stuck in muck and *an assistant* slid a 2x6 in front of the tires. A/S came up on the 2x6, which then promptly snapped in half, and the wheels spit the back half out the back - making contacting (and a loud noise) with the stabilizer!

I'm guessing that I'm lucky that was all the damage and that none of the bystanders were struck. I think the other half of the 2x6 was pushed about a foot into to the muck. And sorry I messed up that beautiful (though soggy) St. Augustine lawn at my aunt's house.

Hopefully my new TV will be able to pull Ophelia out of something like this in the future!
Old 03-27-2009, 11:38 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Got the A/S stuck in muck and *an assistant* slid a 2x6 in front of the tires. A/S came up on the 2x6, which then promptly snapped in half, and the wheels spit the back half out the back - making contacting (and a loud noise) with the stabilizer!
Funkill,
I sorta had the same thing happen to our '87. I pulled the trailer forward off two stacked leveling boards and the top one kicked back and bent the road side rear leveler rod. I left the leveler mounted on the trailer and used a long pipe (as a cheater bar) that just slipped over the rod and used my super-human strength to straighten it out. It isn't perfectly straight. but enough to lower and raise the stabalizer and unless you lay under the trailer you'd never know it was bent.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Funkill, You are lucky at that. In that situation your AS could have sustained a lot of damage underneath. Sacrficing a leveler is the way to go. At least the less costly. Glad to hear that's all that happened.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:53 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Bal

Your not the only one to bend one. I've done it twice. Camping World carries BAL however they do not know of the part # for Airstream all it is is a longer drive shaft. contact BAL & they will give you the part number for Airstream. Did not find anyone cheaper than Camping World $49.95. Best of luck
Excella3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:48 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by shermantic View Post
I have had this happen a couple times on this poorly manufactured stablizers! I would recommend just heathing it up with a torch or having heated and bend it out straight and go on you marry way!
I bent the ones I had on a previous trailer and was able to straighten them out in my shop. I not sure they are poorly made but are made lightly to be sacrificed when some DA as myself leaves them in the down position. Lot cheaper and easier to replace a stabilizer than straighten a bent frame.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote