Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Jacks, Stabilizers, Lifting and Leveling
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2008, 07:07 AM   #1
P&J
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Schaumburg , IL
Bearing Level - where to install? which one?

I have a 2008 25" Safari SE FB. I would like to install a level. I puchased this one at Camping World. After I got it home I saw that I would need to SCREW it into the skin of the AS. Do I want to do that? Does anyone have a different level or other suggestion? After reading all the other posts about leaks I don't want to add to my worries.

Judy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	level.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	52074  
P&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:20 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Those levels are mounted to the body, usually centered under the front window.
I have used these on all our Airstreams, and recomend them:Reese Trailer Accessories
They mount on the A-frame, near the tongue jack. No holes in the body required, and they are inexpensive.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:21 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
I use a 1' magnetic level from Sears ($5) on the A-frame at the front of the trailer and it works fine. From what I have been able to tell, when the A-frame at the front is level, the entire trailer is level.

I have been removing the level when I move the trailer but it could be tied down with wire ties for a permanent solution.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:21 AM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I have one of those mounted just below the front window. It was installed by the PO. With a little dab of vulkem you should not have a problem with leaks. If you remove it later you can always put a few Olympic rivets in the holes.

What is nice about this level is not only will it tell you which side is off, but by how much. Last weekend at the Picacho Rally I backed into a spot and then looked at the level. It was three lines off. I moved the trailer forward, built the ramps for 3 levels (3 inches) and backed onto the ramp. The trailer was then level.

The down side to this level is that it is slow. Since it is a steel ball rolling in a liquid it does not react as quickly as an air bubble.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newtanks.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	52075  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&J
I have a 2008 25" Safari SE FB. I would like to install a level. I puchased this one at Camping World. After I got it home I saw that I would need to SCREW it into the skin of the AS. Do I want to do that? Does anyone have a different level or other suggestion? After reading all the other posts about leaks I don't want to add to my worries.

Judy
Oh the agony I have a hard enough time drilling into my 37 year old AS. The only place I have seen these, and where I have mine, is below the front window, where it can be seen from the TV. I also tried to figure how to put it on without drilling and went for the holes. There are a couple of other electonic systems out there. Don't know about mounting.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCottage
From what I have been able to tell, when the A-frame at the front is level, the entire trailer is level.
Set up the level so that the trailer is leveled to the refridgerator. Use a bubble level inside the freezer. Then mount the outside level so that it reads level. This is fairly important with vintage units. I'm not sure if it's a big deal with newer coaches.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:00 AM   #7
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I'd mount it so I could see it from the driver's seat. Just seal the screws well.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:07 AM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
With my previous TV I could see it, but the bed walls in my new TV are too high.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:22 PM   #9
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Yeah - good thing we travel with a second set of eyes, eh?
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I think its important to not overtighten the mounting screws. They need to be slightly loose so you can adjust the level as necessary, using the Crowhurst levelling method:

How to get the trailer perfectly level
This seems a good day to describe my recommended method of perfectly levelling the trailer from side to side. I first get the trailer sufficiently level for comfort and for using the refrigerator by using one or two planks under one side. Then, I go to the large bubble level fixed across the front of the trailer, and the bubble will usually be off by an inch or so. The level is mounted with two screws through vertically slotted holes. Here is the important part - the screws are not tightened right up. This enables me to adjust the level until the bubble is exactly in the centre of the level marks. It works every time, and my dear wife and fellow campers are always impressed with the accuracy of this method. Nick.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Our electric jack has a bubble level in the top of it.

To set it, use a bubble level inside the trailer and get the trailer as level as possible, then adjust the bubble level on the jack to match the one used inside.

It works pretty well.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I'm with Denny ... I think. I have one of these:

Name:   hoppypocketlevel.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  2.5 KB
I glued it on the top of the hitch on the A-frame right in front of the electric jack and breakaway switch. If I have to level I'm in and out of the trailer anyway. It works, it's simple, it's cheap. It's $2.49 at Camping World but I have always found it locally at farm/fleet stores, RV dealerships, etc.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, for now I just use a small carpenter's level, about one foot long, on the trailer's frame or on top of my battery box. If and when I plan to install one or two on my trailer, I will most likely use two sided tape. No rivets, no screws, and no holes.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:49 AM   #14
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
I just throw a level on the AS floor. Works fine. Have to walk back a couple times, or, have someone watch it as I run jack.

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:32 AM   #15
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
return it. One came with my trailer. My dealer refused to install it. He was not going to put holes in my trailer. I use a small torpedo level on the counter top.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:44 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Go to an auto paint store and get auto trim tape, holds moulding on, use it and the level will stay perfectly till you want to remove it.
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:43 AM   #17
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Echo that above ...... two sided tape. Available at most big box stores. When you want to remove use a hair dryer to heat up the old tape and it will come off.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 01-07-2008, 01:28 PM   #18

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
My dealer uses these levels and has one mounted on every Classic trailer he sells. He mounts them under the front window but markedly towards the street side of the trailer. I can see mine from my drivers side mirror. He does this to allow you to see the level without having to get out of your vehicle. It works as long as you have ample daylight.

At the time I bought my Safari new, he wasn't providing these levels. I mounted my own, first leveling the trailer using a level on the A frame, then double checking with a bubble level inside the freezer compartment. I placed masking tape on the body marking the drill holes and drilled through the aluminum with a very small bit. The key was the masking tape and drilling very slowly to keep the bit from traveling across the aluminum prior to it getting a bite into the metal.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:47 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I think its important to not overtighten the mounting screws. They need to be slightly loose so you can adjust the level as necessary, using the Crowhurst levelling method:

How to get the trailer perfectly level
This seems a good day to describe my recommended method of perfectly levelling the trailer from side to side. ...
Originally posted by Nick Crowhurst
I'm not sure if something got lost in translation but the best method is the 180 degree method. Stop in a fairly level parking lot and mark exactly where all of the tires are with chalk (on the concrete). Tweek the side to side bubble/ball indicator until the ball is in the middle. Pull the trailer forward and do a 180 degree turn, parking exactly where you were previously (thus the need for the chalk marks). If the ball is not centered move it 1/2 of the distance to the center. It will now be centered when the trailer is level. Now all you need to do is level the trailer and put a bubble inside the fridge to see if it was mounted level in the trailer...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote