Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Jacks, Stabilizers, Lifting and Leveling
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2015, 09:48 AM   #21
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Kelvin,

IMHO not s lot of stuff is bullet proof. I mess up stuff once in a great while.

I did notice on my old Jack that without the head on manually extend and retract that as the stem retracted got harder and harder to turn. The stem tube was slightly bent and objected to being put into a round tube. I think the PO bent it from a couple of accidental ? rammings.

So I'm trying real hard to not bump it or bend it while hooking up.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:00 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Not happy with Barker right now. They received my jack early Monday morning. I was promised I would have it back by today. Did not hear anything from them so gave them a call early this morning. Was told they would check on it and get right back to me. By 4PM had not heard back and gave them a call. The CS guy basically blew me off by saying he was too busy to get to it and rest assured it would be sent out on Tuesday. What pisses me off is I made tentative plans for camping Tuesday and they did even have the courtesy to call and update me. My A-Frame is setting up on blocks and not going anywhere until I get the jack back.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:07 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I wasn't exactly impressed with Barker when I had to send mine back last year. Did they offer any answer to the type of problem they found? Was the issue in the screw jack or the head?

Kelvin
Old 09-08-2015, 02:32 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I talked to them again this morning. Bob verified the noisy operation. He replaced all the low end drive parts, gears and limit micro switches. He said these parts have all been upgraded for the High-Power 3500 ball screw jack. I should receive it in a few days. I will reinstall and report back once I can test it out.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 09-14-2015, 09:05 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Any luck getting your jack returned?

Kelvin
Old 09-14-2015, 09:12 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
It on on the big brown truck for delivery. They usually get to my house around 5PM.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:56 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Update,
Jack arrived and has been reinstalled. Appears to be a new post and bottom end. Was told all new gears and switches were also installed. Of course easy install with only three bolts and one wire. It is now much quiter operation with none of the nasty grinding crunching noises. Bonus received a vinyl head cover.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:23 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Thanks for the report. I may send mine back after my October outing or I may just get a different brand of jack and right it off as a loss. Looking at the Atwood 4000. Looks like the head will clear my propane tank cover.

Kelvin
Old 10-13-2015, 01:38 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Chief, you and I have a different definition of "happy outcome." I'm going to add it to my list of warranty items I plan to have fixed next time I get to the dealer. Coming up on my one year anniversary and I plan to cash in on this warranty. My jack works fine, it makes a groan at one second intervals. I don't know what the internal mechanism looks like but I picture something flat spotted and rubbing somehow. On perfectly level ground it's pretty quiet. No sound when not under load.

As a side note, does anybody know of a way to set the tongue down on something like a castoring dolly and move it with a golf cart? I've got a 10ft door I need to navigate into and by truck is extremely difficult.
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:50 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Consider something like this.

High Quality Heavy Duty Powered Motorized Trailer Dolly - 5000lb Capacity

This is for concept reason only. There are many others, some 110 electric and some gas powered.

Controlling a dolly with a golf cart is going to be trickle

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:15 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Yep, that's perfect! $1300 hard to beat too. Kind of wish it had a Briggs on it though.

The golf cart would only be used for very slow movement on paved level surface and all the tongue weight on the dolly itself. But yeah... don't want to go putting it through the back of the garage either.
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:45 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Wondering if the re-built Barker jack is working OK, and what the cost was, or was it done under warranty? We are having similar problems.

Thanks,

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I finally go off my duff and gave Barker a call. Told Bob in service my issue. He asked that I send the jack back for updating on internals, switches and cover. Sounds like a new jack to me, but he would not actually say that. Seems this complaint is not rare for this model jack. He gave me an RO and asked that I box and return it via UPS, they would refund my cost via company check. Boxed and delivered to UPS. Hopefully new hitch will work as advertised.
Quote:
Bob as much as told me that they are getting an excessive number of complaints and reported problems with this model. He was very quick to ask me to send it back instead of trying anything myself. They have redesigned the gearing and micro switches to improve performance. That is why I think I will actually be getting a new jack back. They do seem to have a responsive customer service department. Give them a call and let them know. He said I should get my jack back before next Friday. Hope so, it is cooling off and I want to get out on the lake.
Quote:
Update,
Jack arrived and has been reinstalled. Appears to be a new post and bottom end. Was told all new gears and switches were also installed. Of course easy install with only three bolts and one wire. It is now much quiter operation with none of the nasty grinding crunching noises. Bonus received a vinyl head cover.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:49 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseav View Post
Chief, you and I have a different definition of "happy outcome." I'm going to add it to my list of warranty items I plan to have fixed next time I get to the dealer. Coming up on my one year anniversary and I plan to cash in on this warranty. My jack works fine, it makes a groan at one second intervals. I don't know what the internal mechanism looks like but I picture something flat spotted and rubbing somehow. On perfectly level ground it's pretty quiet. No sound when not under load.
. . .
Wondering if you had the Barker jack repaired/replaced? I see in your recent classified listing that you installed a Husky jack, I guess?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote