Old 03-27-2007, 05:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
Jeez. With 20,000 members here you’d think somebody would know the answer to my original question.

I called Jackson Center. They use BARKER.

Is there any measurable difference between Barker and Ultra Fab??

Airstream didn’t know. Does anyone else?

Sergei
Sergei,

The tenor of your replies to others' posts here smacks a little of arrogance, and is not warranted. I think those who have responded here have tried their best to answer your specific questions regarding "relative merits" and "measurable differences" between Barker and Ultra Fab. All I could do is offer my experiences and opinions regarding one of the two. Most people will likely be in this category, I would imagine. Measurable differences? What are you asking for here - a side-by-side specifications breakdown? Motor voltages of each? Gear ratios? Beyond these types of things, each of these jacks is fundamentally like another, is like another, is like another, and so on. I'm not surprised Airstream didn't have your answer - I doubt they spend that much time thinking about it - they likely use what ever makes the most sense from a unit price perspective. If you really want to see a true comparison between the two, you might be best served by contacting Barker and Ultra Fab directly and ordering a specifications sheet on each model that interests you. Better yet, if you can get one of their design engineers on the phone that might be even better. That way, pound for pound, you can judge for yourself the difference. Essentially berating forum members like you do in your quote for not readily having the answers you require is also not a fair-minded approach to take. If this is something you deem of high importance, that's fine. This is clearly not data that anyone currently has here. Therefore, may I suggest that you go out and discover it elsewhere, and if you so choose, make that information available to the forum. Or not. Obviously that's your decision.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:33 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Thanks, went with Ultra Fab

Thanks to all for your contributions.

I decided to follow Sugarfoot’s example and went with the Ultra Fab.

Details on my main thread, post #190:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...-18448-14.html

Sergei

Old 03-28-2007, 03:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Footnote

Dave,

Sometimes on these forms when you ask opinions about different brands, anything from toilets to axles, you get many opinions to help sway your decision.

I just thought it might be the same with power jacks.

Sorry if I raised your Texas dander. I meant no harm.

Sergei
Old 06-11-2007, 11:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Hey Serg, my electric jack just went kaput.

I was very interested in the same answers that you needed. I would fault no
one for not knowing the answers to your question, but why do people reply when they don't know the answer. If people need more rivets, they could always play one of the many word games. I think Dave was kinda tough on you.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:16 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Sergei -

I have factory installed Ultra Fabs on my 2004 Classic Limited. Perhaps Airstream changed for the 2005 and later model years.

Mine have worked fine -- one of the few things on my trailer that have had no problems so far.

One of the things with Ultra Fabs (perhaps Baker is similar) is they are actually designed to lift your trailer somewhat if needed for leveling purposes (the weight limit varies by model).

Originally, I thought they were just for stabilizing, but when I read the owner's material that came with them, I saw they actually had a lifting capacity. I called Ultra Fab and talked to one of their guys and he explained this to me in some detail - telling me how to use them to lift various corners of my trailer to level it. (I do use them a bit for levelling, but not more than 1" or so since I'm still a bit skeptical of doing that).

John
Old 06-12-2007, 07:58 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Thanks for the information, John.

When I get closer to going out on the road I’ll call Marv at Ultra-Fab for a talk through explanation of the leveling capability. Sounds useful.

Sergei
Old 07-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #21

ashland , Oregon
I have an ultra fab 3502 that just gave up the ghost...the motor does not work.
The hand crank does work fine. I went to Amazon to read reviews for Ultra Fab and
found that 5 of 6 people had serious problems with their recently purchased
ultra fab. Unfortunately there aren't any reviews for Atwood and Barker jacks
that I have been able to access. A replacement motor for mine is hardly less than
a new jack. I'm thinking I'll go with the Barker.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
For what it's worth regarding motor failure, there is on item you can check if you're adventurous. New style motors use a thin steel case and two strong ferrite magnets for the stator (field) instead of wirewound magnets. The ferrite fields are glued in and can come loose from a plentitude of causes including heat, vibration, impact and moisture. If they come loose they will migrate until they are in proximity instead of diametrically opposed and the motor will cease to function. You can open the motor and inspect it for this problem. If that is the case, the magnets and housing can be carefully cleaned and re-epoxied (180*) from each other) and you'll be back in business. I've done this many times on many devices, mostly windshield wipers and jack motors.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:26 PM   #23
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
....... There is one that the factory puts on once in a while that I've seen that has a round level on top of the motor box, and I've heard good things about that one, ......
That's the one I have on my Overlander. It's really good..
Old 09-04-2008, 10:13 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Jack hole diameter

Anybody know what the standard jack hole diameter is on the '70s Airstreams? I'd like to order a jack before the PPL sale is over and I'm away from home for a couple of weeks. Ack!

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:58 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Ultrafab update

FYI for Ultrafab tongue jack users. After 2 years I just had to replace the jack switch. Ultrafab's switch location is a design flaw that lends to the collection of water and eventually shorting out. The manual crank worked fine when the switch died. I still haven't had motor issues or other problems.

Also, Ultrafab no longer makes the manual hand crank. They now have a bit for your cordless drill that does the job if your switch or motor is dead. You can't get it online yet. Call Ultrafab at 1-574-294-7571 and ask for the manual override bit, part number 38-001020. It costs $15 plus shipping.

• • • Aluminocentricity • • •
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:38 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Quote:
Originally Posted by bake315 View Post
Sergei,

The tenor of your replies to others' posts here smacks a little of arrogance, and is not warranted. I think those who have responded here have tried their best to answer your specific questions regarding "relative merits" and "measurable differences" between Barker and Ultra Fab. All I could do is offer my experiences and opinions regarding one of the two. Most people will likely be in this category, I would imagine. Measurable differences? What are you asking for here - a side-by-side specifications breakdown? Motor voltages of each? Gear ratios? Beyond these types of things, each of these jacks is fundamentally like another, is like another, is like another, and so on. I'm not surprised Airstream didn't have your answer - I doubt they spend that much time thinking about it - they likely use what ever makes the most sense from a unit price perspective. If you really want to see a true comparison between the two, you might be best served by contacting Barker and Ultra Fab directly and ordering a specifications sheet on each model that interests you. Better yet, if you can get one of their design engineers on the phone that might be even better. That way, pound for pound, you can judge for yourself the difference. Essentially berating forum members like you do in your quote for not readily having the answers you require is also not a fair-minded approach to take. If this is something you deem of high importance, that's fine. This is clearly not data that anyone currently has here. Therefore, may I suggest that you go out and discover it elsewhere, and if you so choose, make that information available to the forum. Or not. Obviously that's your decision.
I noted a little frustration but I didn't get the impression that any forum members were being berated. A little sensitive maybe?
Old 07-09-2017, 11:48 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
North Augusta , South Carolina
Ultra Fab intermittent problem

I have a problem with my Ultra Fab 3502 jack. It works intermittently. This time, I took it apart and checked the voltages through the switch. Voltages were there, and the second check, the motor decided to work. Put it back together and it is working fine. Have any of you had similar problems?
Old 07-09-2017, 01:31 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
the ultra fab on my 2005 classic seem to be original to unit and it still works fine. Only issues was with wire nuts someone used was turned upside down and would collect water. over some years it caused a bit of corrosion and would work and then not work. Took the joint apart cut wire and re did with new wire nut and dielectric grease and turned it over and not any more problems.

this unit seem to be a fine one thus far but in reading reviews on amazon it seem hit or miss now a day on them.

Barker seem like a good brand as well, abit more pricey, but customer service and support is over the moon.

see one on amazon called quick jack 3500 lbs model with over 400 reviews and all seemed pleased with the jack.

http://tinyurl.com/yahzorfg

check it out might be a worthwhile item.

TUG2.net check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote