Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2014, 06:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
_ , North Carolina
Barker Electric Jack on 2009 27FB stopped working, any suggestions?

I need some help diagnosing a problem with my 2009 27 FB with a Barker 3000lb electric jack that has stopped working. It has been slowly getting harder to use over the last two months. I would have to put it up to get it going before I could make it go down. I thought at first it was the ground so I took off the post, used a wire brush to clean off any corrosion and sprayed it with corrosion-x. I also cleaned and re greased the inner tube.

After putting it back on it wouldn't budge and the switch would get hot if held down for about ten seconds. I made sure the positive wire going to the battery was kink free and clean on the terminals. No luck getting it working, but I was able to jerry rig a setup so I could use my electric drill to crank it down and up instead of using the hand crank.

It seems to me that the motor has died and it isn't the ground, wire, or switch. Has anyone had this happen or have suggestions on how to fix it before I order a new one.
FLMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #2
Jim

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Danville , Pennsylvania
I found one of the terminals in the main switch had burned. I replaced the switch and it now works fine.
pjmoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:40 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
_ , North Carolina
pjmoser, thanks for the suggestion. Because of your suggestion I called up Barker customer service, which were great people, and in two minutes gave me the procedure to see if it is the switch or the motor. Mine is the 6 way switch and I took the two middle wires which are red and black and hooked them up directly to the battery after I took the fuse out for the power supply to the motor.

If it goes up or down and you reverse the polarity and it goes the opposite way then your switch is bad. Much cheaper fix than having to replace the jack engine.

The service dept at Barker is sending me a new switch and limiting switches for free. I didn't even ask them to do so and would have paid for a new switch. Great company in my opinion.
FLMarine is offline   Reply With Quote