Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
vmiller

2010 27' FB Classic
Boulder , Colorado
Auto Leveling Jack

We just bought our airstream and want to have automatic leveling jacks installed. Any suggestions from those of you who have experience?
Paintedpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
seeing that you have a trailer and not a motorhome I don't think you can install automatic leveling jacks. On a motorhome you can because you lift the truck frame till it is level.
On a trailer the four corner jacks are only to steady the trailer; not adjust it to be level.
First you park with the trailer level side to side and then you raise or lower the front of the trailer with the front jack till it is level front to back. Once this is done you lower the four corner jacks till they just get snug.
I use a battery powered hand drill to screw mine into position.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 07:16 PM   #3

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Henrietta , Texas
Smile

I asked Airstream Company and they told me you can add an automatic Leveling System to my 2004 Classic 30. They will not recommend a company. One of their factory tech said he remembered a 2002 Airstream Trailer that had an Automatic Leveling System and it worked great! Surley there are others with Airstream that have successfully added these!
JPEFDAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 07:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
I’d like to hear other thoughts. But as I understand it, this is a bad idea. The frame is not that strong. For example, it cannot be repurposed as a utility trailer frame. And you can’t jack it up just anywhere you please. It’s basically a couple of beams balanced on an axle or two. With some load on top that is also balanced. The entire structure of the skin adds to the strength of the frame. To lift it from anywhere other than the axles is ill-advised.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 06:35 AM   #5
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
AS trailers are a modified monocoque design. This is done to keep the total weight f the trailer lower versus other designs. As stated above the skin of the trailer is part of the support structure of the trailer.

The "jacks" at each corner are really stabilizers. The description above of the function is correct. However, the name is not. The stabilizers cannot support much of the load of the trailer. Stabilizers are only designed to minimize trailer movement in that corner when the trailer is properly parked.

So too is the jack or lift points to change a tire or wheel. The jack points are not on the axle. The jack points are near the axle. Lifting the trailer by jacking up on the axle will create damage to the axle and maybe to the trailer too.

Action
Old 02-01-2022, 08:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Well, Airstream does label "Jack Points" if you crawl under the trailer, so it can be done. If anyone knows about leveling jacks I think it would be Lippert.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote