Old 10-18-2015, 06:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
Question Atwood or Barker on 1989 32' Excella?

On our 1989 Excella AS, the Barker Level-rite 3000 electric tongue jack has failed. It was iffy when we first got the unit a month ago, sometimes working/sometimes not(now not at all) but the light continues to work!!!. Cleaned the contacts/wires/battery and no blown fuse, but since reading these posts it most likely an internal issue or a switch on the old jack. I think we're going to retire it and get a new one, but which one? I read on this site that AS is now putting Atwood electric jacks on their TTs, anyone have recommendations for a quality replacement? It measures to be an 2.25" diameter shaft which appears to be standard with this size AS and although it appears to have an 18" lift, would a 24" hurt? Any thoughts would be appreciated...
Regards,
James and Rebecca

Old 10-18-2015, 07:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
How much clearance do you have between the propane tank cover and the current hitch head? My 25fb Barker SuperJack has very little clearance but I think the Atwood would fit. I had to replace my Superjack due to my fault damage. I purchased another Superjack. Discovered in made a bad noise and had it replaced by Barker. Now this new one is doing the same. My next jack will NOT be a Barker.

eTrailer.com sells the Atwood. One issue is it comes with the Robofoot. Sounds like a good idea but if you are on a site that is not level the Robofoot may prevent from lowering the tongue enough to level.

One feature I think would be nice is the ball bearings used in the screw part of the jack.

Ultra-fab is another manufacturer but the main reason I don't like them is they require a positive and negative wire for hook vs the Atwood and Barker single wire with the ground provided by the jacked bolted to the frame.

If you go with Atwood there is a model that has a black head. White wouldn't look good with an Airstream.

Kelvin

Old 10-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Kelvin,
Thanks for the prompt response, it looks like I have about 1/2" between the Barker control head housing and the propane tank cover. I agree with the black head choice as my current unit is white, not sure if it was an OE piece or not but black would definitely be better!!! Maybe if I called Atwood and gave them the make/model they could match a unit to my application.
Regards,
James and Rebecca
Old 10-19-2015, 10:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Check out etrailer.com They have videos of the jacks they sell. Another one to consider is the Stromberg Carlson. It seems to have a shallow back side and should clear the propane tank cover and is a one wire hookup. Its rated 3500lbs vs the Atwood 4000lbs.

Another one is the Husky Brute but I'm not sure the bracket on the back for electrical cable is removable. If it is then there should be adequate clearance. They have a new model, the Super Brute rated at 5k lbs. Looks like good clearance to the propane cover and it has remotes but more expensive

Kelvin
Old 10-19-2015, 07:44 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Kelvin,

Have you had any experience with the Atwood hitch? It seems like there are so many, have to wonder if I should just go with the cheaper model and plan on replacing it annually. Would like to stay with a name brand but none of them seem any more reliable than the not-so-name brand, just the price is higher...

James
Old 10-19-2015, 07:46 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Kelvin,

Sorry, I meant Atwood "jack"...

James
Old 10-21-2015, 08:21 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Brigham City , Utah
Our Barker finally failed after many years of good service, and we replaced it with a Husky Brute 4,500#. This is a step up from the Barker's 3,000#, and from the information I found, it has a better internal design than the Barker. We did have to turn it 90 degrees to allow for the tank covers, and we 'lost' one of the three LEDs. I also like the adjustable foot which allows for an additional 6" to the 18" stroke. It also does not interfere with our John Leake 5-flag holder!
Old 10-21-2015, 08:30 AM   #8
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Kelvin,

My Husky Jack came with a holder for the 7 way plug loose in the box. I installed the holder on the side of the head. It's a nice way to keep the plug stored.

The Husky uses a ball screw, no issues at all so far. And the manual raise lower override is done externally. Head stays on post.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Did you have to rotate the Husky to clear the propane tank cover? From the photos and videos on etrailer.com the manual raise access is on the top of the jack head. It seems the propane tank cover would get in the way of using the tool they provide.

I guess the one issue of the Atwood is its height, its supposed to be 29" from the mounting plate to the top of its cover. Measured that the other day and it extends much further up than my "clanking" Barker Superjack. It does have a manual raise access in the front so no worries about the propane tank getting in the way. Also the etrailer feature text of this jack shows ball bearings are used in the lift screw.
I'm also wondering how water proof the switches are on the Atwood. The Husky uses waterproof screw on toggle boots.

Kinda like the idea of a remote on the Husky. My only concern is it possible for the jack to receive a stray signal and start to retract/extend on its own. This would damage the stablizers on the trailer. Might be easy to do if you shove the remote in your pocket and the buttons get pressed by keys etc.

Kelvin
Old 10-21-2015, 09:45 AM   #10
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Kelvin,

Mounted in normal position. Did not have to reposition. Clears my propane cover. I did have to move my Sandlapper flag holder out so it clears.

Gary
S/OS #001
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Any chance you can post a photo of a side view of your installation?

So when you mounted the cable holder on the side did you just drill some holes? Is there a cover plate on the back of the head?

I'm looking at the photos on etrailer.com. It shows the holder on the back of the head with 4 screws. If you remove it does it expose the interior?
Husky Brute Electric Trailer Jack - Drop Leg - A-Frame - 18" Lift - 4,500 lbs Husky Camper Jack HT87247

Kelvin
Old 10-21-2015, 06:45 PM   #12
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Kelvin,

Sorry I don't have picture posting on Airforums, I used up all of my ones and zeros on pics a while back. I can snap a pic this weekend and e-mail it to you if you'd like,

I took a quick look, about 5/16" between the back of the head and the front of the tank cover.

I attached the plug holder with outdoor double sided foam tape and just stuck it on the side. It actually works.

The back side has a nice spot for the plug holder, five screws hold it on if you go that route. The cover goes over the power head housing and has a cut out spot for the plug holder.

When I had my Barker I knew how to sync the power head, replace a micro switch, even carried a spare and replaced the up down switch (ridiculously difficult) and kept it for a spare if needed. After I had the Husky, I gave the fixed head to mbmbstreamer a while ago. But I have no clue how to work on the Husky, haven't had to.

Gary

S/OS #001