Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2016, 09:14 AM   #1
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Texas Airstream Harbor , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
Atwood Jack occasionally won't work

Fuse good... no light, no operation... this has happened before and an hour later it works. Today again no light no work. Batteries good.

Airstream is 6 months old.
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International 30 w/Goodyear Endurance, Equalizer 1000, pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.42 axle, 8 speed auto WBCCI #6111

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:17 AM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Sounds like a power connection problem. I would look for a corroded connector.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If the light is also not working the first thing I would check is voltage on the line feeding the jack. If none there is a bad connection from the battery. If there is voltage there then check the bolts to the tongue as that is the path to ground.

Stick a straight pin in the wire and check voltage with a meter.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:08 AM   #4
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Not an unusual issue. Ensure all connections are tight and corrosion free. Try using a cover to keep moisture out over the long haul. It can be as simple as an inverted plastic baggy or as upscale as you want.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:42 PM   #5
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
I keep it covered with a waterproof plastic bag and a vinyl bag to keep the plastic from baking.
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International 30 w/Goodyear Endurance, Equalizer 1000, pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.42 axle, 8 speed auto WBCCI #6111

Old 05-20-2016, 12:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
My Atwood power jack motor failed within the first month, but it was a sudden thing where it worked fine and then completely quit. I only mention it because it sounds like you've looked at most everything else. Make sure you have what you need to operate it manually in case it does fail.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:54 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Richfield , Ohio
I am also having issues with my jack. It has an on/off switch, but it only turns on/off the light. I am able to retract/extract with the switch off.

Then we had a time it wasn't working and I used my sway bar to ground the trailer. It then worked.

It's on my list for repairs
MarkJUrban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:19 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
jackson center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbouy View Post
Fuse good... no light, no operation... this has happened before and an hour later it works. Today again no light no work. Batteries good.

I would make sure you have a good ground at the Jack base and coupler. The first area to check since the problem comes and goes.Remove one of the bolts and re-install making sure there is no rust.
Schu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Seems like a problem for the Mother Ship in Jackson Center to correct. By the number of issues with the jack, they need to be contacted and told that they need to deal with as soon as possible, since this is unacceptable. I would be steaming.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:

If you did not change out the fuse, change it and make sure the inline sleeve contacts are clean with solid connections at both ends. If an inline glass fuse has a loose end cap, it will act like that.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:54 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Truckee , California
Jack problems

I have had many of the same problems discussed here. I believe I have now found that it is caused by a loose fuse. The inline fuse right at the jack.

Anytime this happens I squeeze the fuse holder together to make better contact and for some time it has always resolved the issue.

Over the 3 years I have owned my 25 FB FC I have had several issues and I bet 75% of these have been related to fuses.

Lets see I had problems with the range hood, Fantastic fans and, of course, the jack and don't get me started on the refrigerator.
Thiatt55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:

I had the same issue. What I found was that the negative wire connections are fastened to the gear housing, which is aluminium, and they got corroded. Just cleaned them up and reattached them and it is working fine. It has become an annual maintenance chore.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Often a problem with the ground wire IMO. Disassemble and make sure metal to metal contact is good.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:45 PM   #14
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Went over to our AS and checked the fuse which is good... no corrosion on connections and i keep it covered with a waterproof/sunlight proof bag. Guess it is time to call the mothership and complain again. The problem being under warranty it is a three hour roundtrip drive and was just there a month ago.

Three weeks ago I contacted Airstream Customer Relations about the recall on the LP regulator... they agreed to ship to local repair shop and I have to pay and get reimbursed... Still has not shipped!

Old 05-21-2016, 02:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Three weeks ago I contacted Airstream Customer Relations about the recall on the LP regulator... they agreed to ship to local repair shop and I have to pay and get reimbursed... Still has not shipped!
Check with the local repair shop. Airstream shipped mine there instead of to me which I thought they were going to do. I understand why they did it that way, but they didn't make it clear that that's what they were going to do.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
I had the same issue. What I found was that the negative wire connections are fastened to the gear housing, which is aluminium, and they got corroded. Just cleaned them up and reattached them and it is working fine. It has become an annual maintenance chore.
BTW, I forgot to mention that the old style inline fuse Housing is a big problem. Next time try jiggling it while you hold the toggle switch in the on position. I finally got so disgusted with it that changed it to the newer Spade style fuse holder. You can pick one up on most Automotive stores for under ten bucks.
Problem went away.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:17 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
I initially had a similar "problem" with our 2016 Classic. I soon discovered the jack does not receive power unless the Use/Store switch inside the AS is switched to "Use". I didnt think to check this initially because, in our prior Flying Cloud, the jack always had power regardless of the position of the Use/Store switch.

This may be unrelated, but before we picked up our new Classic, I had the dealer add manual cable disconnectors on the battery terminals so we could completely disconnect the battery and avoid parasitic power losses.
phann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
Seems like a problem for the Mother Ship in Jackson Center to correct. By the number of issues with the jack, they need to be contacted and told that they need to deal with as soon as possible, since this is unacceptable. I would be steaming.
You would think.

I called JC from Austin TX when my power jack had issues. Basically, they told me to pound sand, and I needed to contact Atwood, which I did.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:57 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by phann View Post
I initially had a similar "problem" with our 2016 Classic. I soon discovered the jack does not receive power unless the Use/Store switch inside the AS is switched to "Use". I didnt think to check this initially because, in our prior Flying Cloud, the jack always had power regardless of the position of the Use/Store switch.
Odd - my 2016 Flying Cloud has the jack wired directly to the battery terminal. Surprising that the Classics would be wired differently on this. The jack doesn't draw current unless it is in use (or the light is on), so I'm not sure what the thinking was.
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:59 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
Khollister I agree, it does seem odd. Im wondering if the dealer could have made some sort of wiring change when they added the battery terminal disconnect knobs - before we took delivery. I will look tomorrow to see if I can trace where the jack wiring actually connects.
phann is offline   Reply With Quote