Old 08-15-2016, 06:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post

In the airstream manual they gave me with the trailer it says, "Never use the power jack to lift anything but the trailer. Then under trailering they "recomend getting sway control hitch with weight distribution for better and safer trailering".
Are you trying to lift the back of the truck with the jack to make it easier to hook up the weight distribution hitch?
The tongue jack is for lifting the trailer tongue only, not both the truck and trailer. I see many people making this mistake and hear their tongue jacks groaning away and wonder why the jack goes bad prematurely....

Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:40 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
East Greenbush , New York
I just replaced my 10 year old Barker 3500 lb jack with an Atwood 4000 lb jack.

I have a 19 ft Bambi. 3500 lb barker jack from the factory. I don't understand Airstream using a 3000 lb jack. Unless, they wanted it to look "nice".

The 4000 lb Atwood jack is quite a bit taller. But it is the size needed to use with weight distribution.

Attached is a pic. It does keep the bottle cover lid from going back 180 degrees, but that's not an issue. Yes, I mounted a solar trickle charger on the lid, and that restricts the lid opening a little more, but I can easily turn the gas on/off and remove the bottle cover.

I feel bad for anyone with a newer trailer and the 3000lb jack. I don't think it'll last long...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1471286275126.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	269168  

2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2008 Silverado 1500
heitkergm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:46 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
East Greenbush , New York
By the way, you have to use the tongue jack with weight distribution. You have to drop the trailer down on the ball enough for the coupler to lock. Then you need to raise the TV AND trailer in order to attach the load bars easily. That's how I've seen it done for over 50 years. That is why you need more than 3000 lb jack.

All the jack makers note that 3000 and under is for trailer only, and 3500+ is for weight distribution.

2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2008 Silverado 1500
heitkergm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:45 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Canfield , Ohio
I ordered the Atwood crank for the jack ( I have no idea why it is not included). Hooked it up and to my surprise, it cranked both up and down. Drill would not do it. So it was not frozen. I believe the motor gave up the ghost, but it does not smell fried.

Now that I can hook back up to my truck, I'm gonna remove the motor to see what is going on.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
The Atwood jack on my 2017 International 25FB failed this morning on my second day ever camping with the trailer. It stopped working while raising it to uncouple the truck. I changed the inline fuse, checked all connections including the ground and it still won't budge. The light doesn't illuminate and the jack switch does not operate the jack.

I found the fitting that Atwood provides for manual operation. Since the three sided shaft doesn't fit any sockets or standard wrenches I borrowed a vise grip and was able to manually raise and lower the jack.

I'm not sure what Atwood model I'm dealing with. There are no markings on the jack and Airstream did not include a manual with their manual package.

So I was not aware of the warning that the jack was not to be used with my Equalizer hitch. I've used the same Equalizer system with my 2012, 2014 and now 2017 internationals.

Every Airstream dealer with whom I've dealt has prominently displayed the Equalizer System. If in fact the jack on my trailer is not intended for my Equalizer and I'm expected to replace the jack with a 4000 pound jack.....Airstream should bear the cost. I'll call them on Monday.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:27 PM   #20
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I dumped the cheesy stock jack on my Classic for one of the Ultra Fab Phoenix 4000's. Newly engineered, memory settings, much faster -- will extend or retract 10" in 18 sec. Actually has a CABLE for grounding (golly!)....and a powerful light for nighttime operation. Check it out.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:56 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Canfield , Ohio
Looks as if after AS and my dealer had some discussion, the next As to come off the line in 2-3 months will have the 4000 Atwood. Let's see if I get one when mine goes in for first service nov 10th.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:34 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
The Atwood crank was there when I arrived home today. 1 day via Amazon Prime. Works like a charm.

It'll do until I can get a 4000 pound jack installed.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:18 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Looks as if after AS and my dealer had some discussion, the next As to come off the line in 2-3 months will have the 4000 Atwood. Let's see if I get one when mine goes in for first service nov 10th.
I spoke with a customer service rep today at Airstream. They are willing to authorize a replacement of the Atwood 3000 if the dealer finds it to be defective.

I mentioned my discussion with the Atwood tech this morning who verified that failure due to equalizer bars used in conjunction with the 3000 would void the warranty, and that it would be on the installer for not heeding the warning that a 3500 pound model would be required with bars.

The installation manual state "Use 3500 lb. Heavy Duty Power Jack if you use equalizer bars between the trailer and the tow vehicle". Since equalizer bars is in lower case I take it to mean any weight distribution system bars, not Equalizer company bars.

Airstream's rep said that they do not have enough documented failures of the 3000 to warrant an upgrade at their expense for customers who request what Atwood says is the proper unit, the 4000. Airstream also says that in their discussions with Atwood, Atwood stated that the 3000 should work fine with bars.
So....there you go.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
I spoke with a customer service rep today at Airstream. They are willing to authorize a replacement of the Atwood 3000 if the dealer finds it to be defective.

I mentioned my discussion with the Atwood tech this morning who verified that failure due to equalizer bars used in conjunction with the 3000 would void the warranty, and that it would be on the installer for not heeding the warning that a 3500 pound model would be required with bars.

The installation manual state "Use 3500 lb. Heavy Duty Power Jack if you use equalizer bars between the trailer and the tow vehicle". Since equalizer bars is in lower case I take it to mean any weight distribution system bars, not Equalizer company bars.

Airstream's rep said that they do not have enough documented failures of the 3000 to warrant an upgrade at their expense for customers who request what Atwood says is the proper unit, the 4000. Airstream also says that in their discussions with Atwood, Atwood stated that the 3000 should work fine with bars.
So....there you go.
Well that was quite and education.....however I found the problem with my 3000....quite by accident.

While rechecking all of the connections under the hood at the motor and in the battery box....with the light switch on...the light flickered when I stuffed the fuse holder assembly back into position in the battery box. It turns out that there is a contact problem within the fuse holder body.

AS dealer is ordering a new fuse wire assembly.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:15 PM   #25
The Myth

Currently Looking...
Killeen , Texas
Turk, what you are describing sounds like a motor ground to me. if the light is working but the motor does nothing that is usually the culprit on that particular jack. Its also a simple fix. Under your cover if you are in front of the jack there will be a ground wire running to a screw on the right rear. If you remove that screw and add a star washer under the wires ring connector and tighten it back down it will make a proper ground connection. If this is the ground like I think it may be this should fix it at a cost of one 7 cent star washer. Unfortunately I don't have a way to attach a picture for you but I have done this repair before and took pictures of the process. if you would like to PM me an email address I would be happy to send the photos over.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:36 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAS View Post
Turk, what you are describing sounds like a motor ground to me. if the light is working but the motor does nothing that is usually the culprit on that particular jack. Its also a simple fix. Under your cover if you are in front of the jack there will be a ground wire running to a screw on the right rear. If you remove that screw and add a star washer under the wires ring connector and tighten it back down it will make a proper ground connection. If this is the ground like I think it may be this should fix it at a cost of one 7 cent star washer. Unfortunately I don't have a way to attach a picture for you but I have done this repair before and took pictures of the process. if you would like to PM me an email address I would be happy to send the photos over.
You are exactly right! When i had time to take the head off, i found a loose ground in the head . That said, the motor is running again. After 3 trips behind me, using the crank for the last few turns i believe will save the motor from the strain that gets put on it when it reaches its limit. Now i will say its not a perfect solution, but will work in my case. Now i have to ask AS to at least send handles out to previous owners of the 3000 that request them.

Hmmmm . .wasn't the reason for a power jack is so you didn't have to crank anymore?
Old 10-26-2016, 07:38 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
I had to replace my original Barker Superjack because I bent the shaft, got a replacement Superjack and it started making funny noises, sent it back to Barker for warranty, received the repaired/replaced jack from Barker and after a few months starting to make strange noises again but lived with it for almost two seasons. Decided to give up on Barker and purchased the Atwood 4000lb with Robofoot. So far so good. Figured since I have an Equalizer on a Ram 2500 I would need the extra capacity. My main concerns when searching for a new jack was the head clearance to the propane tank cover and the lifting capacity. Hopefully, the Atwood will be good long term.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:37 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Here is the Atwood crank for the 3000 that I ordered on Amazon. Makes so much more sense than the little power drill crank fitting included with the trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1