Old 12-30-2010, 07:05 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Here's how Bill Thomas RV worked on my brakes. Makes perfect sense to me. I walked around inside to get some things and it was rock solid. From opening and closing the door there was no evidence that the chassis was stressed by this method.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	St. Charles 042.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	118234  

Old 12-30-2010, 08:04 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The dealers in Davenport and Joliet are affiliated with each other.

We found the Davenport service department to be a bit of a chinese fire drill, have had a couple of small things done in Joliet without incident.

The Joliet dealership had a big fire a couple of years ago and have relocated twice. I think they're still trying to get on their feet. I would sure let the service manager know of your concerns.

Maggie

Old 12-30-2010, 04:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Who am I to question the Forumís resident expert on all things Airstream? Iíll just repeat more plainly exactly what happened:

This guy placed two small floor stands right at the REAR MOST part of the frame - at the bumper box and bumper - then used MY electric jack, rated at 3500 pounds, to lift the ENTIRE suspended weight of my 5000 pound trailer.

He didnít even have the common sense to put a pair of stands at the axle plates, for safety.

What would have happened to the trailer if the jack had collapsed under the stress? Not to mention the guyís legs spread out under my trailer as he pulled off all four wheelsÖ.

2Airs photos may prove nothing more than sloppiness at the JC plant. (And how do we know the floor stand isnít touching on the other side of his trailer?)

In any event, how JC jacked up 2Airís trailer and how Chicago jacked up mine are not the same thing. He wouldnít have stood by calmly if they were.

After we left Joliet I noticed two permanent changes:

- there is very obvious sag along the splashback on the 8í long galley counter. The front half of the counter, the 4í on the front window side of the counter, now slopes down 5/16Ē.

- the jack has a different tone and seems much more labored in its work.

I canít prove that any of this was caused in Joliet but it seems, at the least, a strange coincidence.

There is no sign of any damage to any other part of the trailer, inside or out. If the frame were bent I would assume that it would show somehow in the inner or outer skins.

I canít figure out why the counter has permanently sagged.

And the squeak and squeal is still there. Having first claimed that my brakes shoes were too tightly set, the Chicago mob just kept my money and shrugged their shoulders. I had lost confidence in them by then and I wasnít going to hang out in Joliet, forcing them to take the wheels off a third time.

Thatís why I want to find somebody qualified in West Texas or Louisiana, where I am now, to identify and fix the problem.

Any suggestions, any one ??

Sergei
Old 12-30-2010, 04:53 PM   #18
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Oh boy.. thats what I was afraid of. You had mentioned the jacks being in the rear but at the bumper? Not sure the guys at JC would approve of that one. Sorry that happened to you..

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Anything I do with wheels, breaks, bearings I take to a trailer shop. A place that sells or builds cargo trailers. I have been to two different places and both times they jacked my airstream up where it was supposed to be jacked up.

These businesses thrive on the running gear service. I also found they were better with 7 way plugs and lights. Bottom line I have yet to pay over 100.00 dollars for any service with these folks. I have paid $35.00 for running lights not working, $60.00 for checking brakes and bearings. I paid $80.00 per tire when I was buying D rated tires. That was the big expense with the trailer folks.

Everytime I have been to an RV place in Metro Atlanta it is $105.00 per one hour service not including parts. I had them do a gas line pressure check. It was $220.00 dollars, but better safe then sorry.

The last time I went to an Airstream dealer was when we were traveling. I paid $286.00 for water heater pilot light repairs. They charged me for labor and told me they could not find the problem. Airstream forums told me to adjust my thermostat which I did. I have not had a problem since.

My buddy told me that everytime he goes to a RV service center he pays at least $1500 for service. He does have a motor home.

Thank God for the Airstream Knowledge Forums. You folks rock!!!!!!

Brian
Old 12-30-2010, 06:09 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
It sounds to me as if it is just "the Chicago way".
Old 12-30-2010, 06:40 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Carrollton , Texas
Joliet is a long way from Chicago, how did they get that tag?
Old 12-30-2010, 06:46 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I grew up by the Chicago Airstream. It has been there for only a few years. My sister lives about 1 mile away. It does not look like it gets to much business.

That is my old stomping grounds. Everything is expensive around there except beer. My old buddies up there sure know how to knock them back. Chicago Blues Country. No nonsense people. You don't want to make them mad. They are into the Bears, Sox, Bulls, Black Hawks, Bikers, Beer and the Blues. Great folks and fun times. I will be up there sometime next year visiting relatives.

Brian
Old 12-30-2010, 08:11 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
That's the place where my daughter took her Argosy for warranty repair on a Dometic Penguin air conditioner. It took them days to figure out the problem. Dometic would only pay them a certain amount of money for the job & they wanted my daughter to pay the difference for the umpteen hours of labor. I got some encouragement from people here before I went out there & went to bat for her. Long story short, she didn't pay the difference. I grew up on the South Side of Chicago. We're tuffer than the upper classers out there!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:57 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Try these folks Zanetti Trailer 817-599-9685. They are in Weatherford TX off I-20 and they know trailers like no bodies business.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:47 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
Who am I to question the Forumís resident expert on all things Airstream? Iíll just repeat more plainly exactly what happened:

This guy placed two small floor stands right at the REAR MOST part of the frame - at the bumper box and bumper - then used MY electric jack, rated at 3500 pounds, to lift the ENTIRE suspended weight of my 5000 pound trailer.

He didnít even have the common sense to put a pair of stands at the axle plates, for safety.

What would have happened to the trailer if the jack had collapsed under the stress? Not to mention the guyís legs spread out under my trailer as he pulled off all four wheelsÖ.

2Airs photos may prove nothing more than sloppiness at the JC plant. (And how do we know the floor stand isnít touching on the other side of his trailer?)

In any event, how JC jacked up 2Airís trailer and how Chicago jacked up mine are not the same thing. He wouldnít have stood by calmly if they were.

After we left Joliet I noticed two permanent changes:

- there is very obvious sag along the splashback on the 8í long galley counter. The front half of the counter, the 4í on the front window side of the counter, now slopes down 5/16Ē.

- the jack has a different tone and seems much more labored in its work.

I canít prove that any of this was caused in Joliet but it seems, at the least, a strange coincidence.

There is no sign of any damage to any other part of the trailer, inside or out. If the frame were bent I would assume that it would show somehow in the inner or outer skins.

I canít figure out why the counter has permanently sagged.

And the squeak and squeal is still there. Having first claimed that my brakes shoes were too tightly set, the Chicago mob just kept my money and shrugged their shoulders. I had lost confidence in them by then and I wasnít going to hang out in Joliet, forcing them to take the wheels off a third time.

Thatís why I want to find somebody qualified in West Texas or Louisiana, where I am now, to identify and fix the problem.

Any suggestions, any one ??

Sergei
Sergei, I have heard good things about Airstream of Arkansas. Maybe you could give them a call. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:25 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Airstream of Arkansas is out of business....
Old 12-31-2010, 07:00 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Airstream of Arkansas is out of business....
Actually, they're still there, they are just no longer an Airstream dealer or service center. Too bad, because those folks were top notch.

Maggie
Old 12-31-2010, 09:23 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Those who travel many miles out of their way to obtain routine servicing at an Airstream dealer may want to rethink the value of a reputable SOB dealer.

The Airstream service network presents a challenge - not only is it small - but a number of its members seem to have less than glowing reports from its patrons.

Adding to the difficulty is what seems to be a deep-seated - almost religious belief - that Airstreams must be serviced by Airstream dealers - even some of the SOB dealers seem to believe this.

Although it is nice to think that an Airstream dealer is going to give us better service than others - in truth - with the exception of the aluminum construction - there is nothing magical about an Airstream that absolutely requires an Airstream dealer to service appliances, mechanisms and parts that are common to most trailers - this would include brakes.

Our closest Airstream dealership is a 10 hour drive away - so it was logical to extend a great relationship with an SOB dealership (2 hours away) that begain with our pop-up days well over 2 decades ago. They've conducted scheduled service and unscheduled repairs on the Bambi since 2003 - and done so without any problems for them - or us (although the first time they saw the Hensley was a bit of an adventure).

Not to say we've never felt the need to take advantage of Airstream service expertise - we've made the treck to JC twice - for warranty issues (obviously when it was new) and a couple of filiform issues (before I knew what it was called - and they were doing something about it) - and we've also been thankful for Can Am's services - not so much for their Airstream affiliation as for their towing expertise.

Thanks,

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote