Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Jacks, Stabilizers, Lifting and Leveling
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Question Adapting 5th Wheel Stabilizer for A-frame tongue stabilizing?

Has anyone tried adapting a 5th wheel stabilizer for use in the hitch ball receiver for front end stabilizing?

I was just thinking (maybe dangerous, should stop right there) -- my electric jack is old and works well, but, I've been concerned about the wear and tear of using it to stabilize the front end in some pretty difficult leveling situations.

I noticed the 5th wheelers in campgrounds use these:

Maybe a hitch ball could be welded to the top and broader plates welded to the feet, might make a more stable front end. Maybe one of these:

I'm also thinking about this as I work on my Trade Wind in the driveway. I'm jacking the back end up at the moment -- with lots of redundant safety backups -- so I'm not too worried about it, the electric jack is hardly extended at all. But, I have been in some leveling situations when camping when I didn't pack enough boards to raise the front end without severely extending the jack. Extending the jack all the way out kind of worries me, when coming and going in and out of the trailer.

What about the car jacks that I use in the driveway for leveling and raising the trailer for work under the belly pan -- I realize these can also be dangerous, so I use a lot of them -- I buy them whenever I run across them in yard sales. Has anyone fabricated a tongue hitch ball onto one of these by welding?

I've had some welding lessons and have a teacher/supervisor who can check my work.

'Course I also realize something like this would be heavy and bulky. Maybe just driveway/shop use would be practical.

Anne
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
If you're down in this country, I've got one of those things that somebody left here. It's just sitting in my shed, gathering dust.

Lynn
Old 05-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Lynn,
Wish I could drop in right away. Here's hoping a trip to NM will be in my near future!
Thanks,
Anne
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Logically, the ideal seems to make sense... I think your jack should be used and this can supplement?
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th-wheel, electric jack, hitch ball, stabilizers, tongue