Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Jacks, Stabilizers, Lifting and Leveling
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2016, 05:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Estero , Florida
27FB International - still shakes after leveled

Everyone,

Hoping for some advice on this one. We park our Airstream, level it front to back, then left to right. Once level, we put down the stabilizer jacks and yet when we walk around in it, it still shakes, and at night when the AC runs, it feels like a train is going by.

Any advice? FYI - we don't put anything around the wheels when parked.

Thanks!
KariRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Do you somehow level it front to back, before side to side? Do you use chocks of any kind at the wheels?

If all is leveled and chocked, and there is still too much movement for you, a product similar to X-Chocks between the tires will help.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:08 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
How do you level the trailer in the manner you describe? It looks like it is the exact opposite of how it should be leveled. Level side-to-side using blocks or wood boards, then after uncoupling level front to rear. Afterward, put the stabilizers down until they hit the ground, then turn about a half turn.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
How do you level the trailer in the manner you describe? It looks like it is the exact opposite of how it should be leveled. Level side-to-side using blocks or wood boards, then after uncoupling level front to rear. Afterward, put the stabilizers down until they hit the ground, then turn about a half turn.

Agreed. And - OP said nothing places around tires when parked so I'm assuming no chocking mechanism. In my experience, regular chocks don't help much for movement as being described. On one axle, we use a fast step chock that chocks both tires from the inside space between them with pressure. On the other side, we use a plastic version of those aluminum chocks that also apply pressure to both tires from inbetween. This helps about 95% of the movement - though not 100% eliminated.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I use X Chocks, like these. They are quite effective and stop a lot of the shaking. Being a trailer on wheels there will always be some discernible shaking. It will never be solid like a building. The stabilizers are just that, they add some degree of firmness too. Don't try to use the stabilizers for leveling, you'll bend and break something.

As stated earlier, first pull the trailer wheels onto leveling blocks to get your side to side level. Second, after unhitching, use the front jack to get the front/rear level.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Chocks- tight?
Stabilizers- tight?
Mine still wiggles a little, but much, much less when chocked and stabilized.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
Agreed - level side to side first. The campgrounds these days mostly have level and graveled sites leaving a minor adjustment right or left. Chock the tires and unhitch. drop the front down just about 3 turns too far. Then I put my stabilizers on the back (mine doesn't have the drop down stabilizers like the new trailers do) get them just snug and then bring the front up to be level. That really jams the trailer down on the stabilizers and takes out any play that will be there due to gravel and dirt compressing. If I'm camping longer than about 3 nights or if it rains then I re-level front to back to re-stabllize
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
You are using the stabilizers to stabilize, not level? Yes?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:36 PM   #9
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
There will always be a little movement and I second all of the recommendations above.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Ground all 4 stabilizer jacks first, including tongue jack. Once your rig is stable, then level it from there.

Do you have rubber cushions/mounts under the AC unit?? They absorb vibration.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:08 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKirk View Post
Ground all 4 stabilizer jacks first, including tongue jack. Once your rig is stable, then level it from there.

Tom
Please explain exactly how you accomplish that, without completely destroying the jack and stabilizers.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I go the other way around-
Level side to side upon backing into the site- 2x6 boards, Lynx Levelers, whatever-
Then chock the trailer wheels real tight-
Then level front to back with tongue jack-
Then lower stabilizers snugly/firmly to the ground-
Minimal trailer movement/shaking/wiggling-

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 06-02-2016, 04:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
I think you may have two different issues intermixed here.

We almost never put down the stabilizers. I level side to side using Anderson camper levelers (the red wedges), then front to back using he tongue jack. I use the between-the-tires type of chocks and we move in. Both of us grew up in boating families, so we may be more tolerant than most of the rocking when anyone moves inside and I certainly advocate using the stabilizers if anyone finds that uncomfortable.

As a separate issue, our AC sounds like a freight train, too, but it has nothing to do with leveling and stabilizing. Your trailer has the newer, ducted AC and I have not been in one to hear how much quieter that style is versus ours.

Is it possible you have a general AC noise and vibration issue not dependent on leveling and stabilizing?
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
I'm in the camp with overlander63 and most of the rest of the folks here.

Since the trailer is leveled side to side by rolling it onto Legos, wood blocks, Andersens, or whatever, how could the OP possibly level it front to back first??? Same for TomKirk? If the Stabilizers and Tongue Jack are down how can you possibly level?

Unless you carry a floor jack you simply can't level side to side being unhooked from the TV. Simply doesn't make sense.

So that leaves us, possibly (?), with some confusion between Stabilizers and what some motorhomes have - Levelers?

I'd love to hear from OP and TomKirk, because I'd like to help but I'm really confused.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
If staying one night or alone I will not put the stabilizers down.
When staying more than one night or with another person I will put the stabilizers down.
I will wake up if another person wiggles the trailer by walking or moving. Stabilizers down- no wiggle- now wake up from sound sleeping-

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 06-02-2016, 05:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Level left to right and then front to back. As a solo traveler I rarely use the stabilizers when out and about. Depends on the weather, winds, etc.
I must say I am baffled about the procedure used by the person that grounds the stabilizers and then attempts to level. Seems counterproductive and potentially damaging to the stabilizers and frame.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I have a lithium cordless drill with 3/4" inch socket (fits the AS leveler) that very quickly lowers or raises the levers. http://www.walmart.com/ip/29764655?w...563392&veh=sem
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It takes more effort to keep up with the drill, batteries, charger, socket, keep the batteries charged, and put the battery in the drill or charge, keep the charger plugged in, and put the socket in the drill than to use the hand crank.
Airstream aren't like big sob's that sit 2' off the ground.
Even when I had a big sob I tried the drill vs. the hand crank and decided the hand crank is better for me.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 06-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
I use X Chocks, like these. They are quite effective and stop a lot of the shaking. Being a trailer on wheels there will always be some discernible shaking. It will never be solid like a building. The stabilizers are just that, they add some degree of firmness too. Don't try to use the stabilizers for leveling, you'll bend and break something.

As stated earlier, first pull the trailer wheels onto leveling blocks to get your side to side level. Second, after unhitching, use the front jack to get the front/rear level.
I agree! I use centre wheel locks similar to 'X-chocks' after leveling side to side, then for and aft.
As he said, there will always be a modicum of wiggle, but not much; and I feel it mostly in the shower.
Get used to it.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:20 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I use the large black rubber chocks.
I kick them in tight against the tires.

TAC #MS-10