Old 04-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2010 25' FB International
Mobile , Alabama
1984 Excella stabilizers 31 foot

We recently purchased our Excella and are trying to get ready to put on the road. We discoverd today that there was no stabilizer ball attached to the trailer We feel a trailer weigh 8,000 lbs should have a stabilizer. Can we purchase just the ball and if so can it be bolted on or will it have to be welded? We pulled it home with only the hitch attached however that was only about five miles. We also need to purchase new tires and have the axel bearings packed. The previous owner had put load range c tires on it, which is not the correct load range. Also would it be safe to take it to have the tires put on before we got the stabilizer? We would only be driving about 25 miles round trip and not on the interstate. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Bettye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
It sounds like you are talking about a friction sway device that attaches from a ball next to the hitch ball to a ball mounted on the frame. The ball on the frame is normally attached to a plate that bolts to the frame with a bunch of screws. I installed one on mine that way and it is holding fine after several years.
Attached Images

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:11 AM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...
The ball can be purchased separately. Google "Friction Sway Ball Kit" and you'll find several sources. You'll have several options available as some bolt on, some clamp, and others can be welded. The one on our Avion is attached with self-tapping lag screws while the one on our AS is welded. Both of which work well.

As for towing to get bearing service and tires. If it were me I'd order the replacement ball and install it before towing.

Congratulations on the Excella.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia

Your trailer probally had a dual cam stabilizer on it that worked in conjunction with the weight distribution spring bars.
Ther are several ways to accomplixh stabilization.
1. The friction that is pictured above. Least expensive and it works.
2. Dual cam of which there are two generations (old and "new"). More expensive than the friction type.
3. Hensley Arrow and Pro Pride type. Both of which artificially put the point of pivot for the trailer somewhere in the middle of the tow vehicle. Very expensive.
4. Towrite (I think thats the name) which actually puts the point of pivot as close to the rear axle as possible. About the same cost as the Hensley and ProPride.
I have used the friction type on other sobs and now have the old Dual Cam on my 1984 31 Foot Excella.
Both worked for me. My 84 Excella had the Dual Cam on it when I bought it. If you go with a Dual Cam be warned that the spring bars, reguardless of manufacturer can be of slightly different lengths so mark them right and left and always put them on the side they belong. That will be clear when you go through the setup of the Dual Cam.
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:54 AM   #5
1 Rivet Short
1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Welcome, you should probably have more than a simple friction sway device...however, there is a "ball" bolted to our frame that we have never used. You are welcome to have it...if I can get it off.
PM me.

*Life is Good-Camping all around the Continent*
*Good people drink good beer-Hunter S Thompson*
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote