Old 08-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1960 18' Traveler
Nomadic , Symmetry
1960 Tongue Jack repair, replacement

The 50 year old tongue jack on my 1960 traveler finally gave way. I thought I would pull it out and temporarily replace it with a new husky jack until I get the time to pull the original apart and see about repairing it. Problem is though the husky jack is a slightly larger diameter and doesn't fit the hole, I'd rather not mangle the tongue of the trailer. Does anyone have suggestions on a model jack that fits and any tips on repairing the original? I appreciate any input.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
I recently replaced the tongue jack on my '59 Overlander and had to grind the hole out a bit larger to fit a modern jack. It did not need very much material removed, but it took awhile as that metal is substantial. Those original jacks were built well and I really liked the steel wheel that came with mine. Wish I could have repaired it.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Decent View Post
The 50 year old tongue jack on my 1960 traveler finally gave way. I thought I would pull it out and temporarily replace it with a new husky jack until I get the time to pull the original apart and see about repairing it. Problem is though the husky jack is a slightly larger diameter and doesn't fit the hole, I'd rather not mangle the tongue of the trailer. Does anyone have suggestions on a model jack that fits and any tips on repairing the original? I appreciate any input.
Open the hole, and replace the 50 year old jack.

Andy
Old 08-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1960 18' Traveler
Nomadic , Symmetry
Thanks, I found a Jack that fit the top hole and then ground some material from the bottom hole to get it in. I really want to rebuild the original jack and use that. If anyone has had any experience with this I would appreciate any input. Thanks again.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1960 18' Traveler
Nomadic , Symmetry
BTW...the jack I installed is a little 1000 lb Atwood, plenty of travel and smoothe stregth to handle the 300-400 lb tongue weight of my 18' Traveler and it fit the top original bore size hole, only had to grind out a little bit on the bottom hole. Funny the holes are not the same size, another vintage Airstream quirk. I would still like to rebuild the original jack, has anyone done this? Any input would be appreciated, other wise I will post the experience when I get to it.

Tags